AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can remember when buying a new was a fun and enjoyable experience. From the researching that I normally do beforehand to the actual purchase. It was all just a fun and exciting series of events.

All that changed however, when I made a decision to purchase a new AVR. It seemed that everytime I came to a decision about an AVR, I read something on the boards about some new feature/capability/technology that peeked my interest and guess what??....It's going to be out in a few months!!! So what's a few more months when I can have the latest and greatest right? So I wait, and while I wait I decide to read, and as I read, I learn about something even better then what I was initially waiting for. And guess what? It's only going to be a couple months before it's released. It's a vicious little techno-circle. I'm almost at the point where I just want to buy something so I can end this disease called indecisiveness.

A Brief History;

Back in May/June, I decided my HT needed a boost in the AVR dept.. I had thought a nice Onk 702 would fit the bill since it rated pretty well with consumers and had 3 in/1 out component (which i prefer), but it lacked any HDMI/DVI connectivity. I had to ask myself if HDMI/DVI was going to be a deal-breaker since the only component I have at the moment that supports HD is my Mitsu HC900 pj and even that isn't true HD but ED (525p native/480p,720p,1080i compatible). Then again, I plan to upgrade my other components, over the next year or so and don't want to have to purchase another AVR. Here's the catch though, I'm not going to upgrade my pj for at least another 4 or 5 years so I'm not sure if getting an HDMI/DVI capable AVR will effect picture quality more then the current component setup I'm using, even when I do purchase a 720p+ DVD player or a new DirectV HD DVR.

So here's the short list on what my ~$800.00 budget will buy.

Onkyo sr702

Denon 2805 or 3805

JVC RX-702

I don't think I'll go Sony, Pioneer, or Panny unless something remarkable occurs in the next week or so to change my mind.

So what say you? While the choices above are decent, have I missed something? Please help me put an end to this indecisiveness before I do something stupid!!

·
Registered
563 Posts
From your list, I would think the 3805 is a fine choice, one that you would not regret. I listened to the 3805 and the HK AVR635. The 635 was better for my system (sounded better to me and had better EQ flexibility).

I would wait for the HDMI connectivity issues to mature a few years (and see what HD-DVD does to the market). You can enjoy your HT until then...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.