AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of course I kept the one E-80 that had the warranty until July 2006 at BB. I intend to test this new HDD model and see if it behaves as my 100 buck BB returned buy ES-10 has, which is pretty good. BTW you would not believe what well taken care of, formatted regularly, with original box, all organized accessories, pristine manual and remotes of E-80s are going for on Ebay- Very surprisingly high. Suffice to say that the two together total far exceeded the sales price of the new E-50. Double BTW I bought the 50 at Walmart online. Hard to beat that store if you have a mechanical problem in the first 90 days- just take it back to your local.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy
Of course I kept the one E-80 that had the warranty until July 2006 at BB. I intend to test this new HDD model and see if it behaves as my 100 buck BB returned buy ES-10 has, which is pretty good. BTW you would not believe what well taken care of, formatted regularly, with original box, all organized accessories, pristine manual and remotes of E-80s are going for on Ebay- Very surprisingly high. Suffice to say that the two together total far exceeded the sales price of the new E-50. Double BTW I bought the 50 at Walmart online. Hard to beat that store if you have a mechanical problem in the first 90 days- just take it back to your local.
I guess all those posts in praise of the E80 finally paid off. ;)


OK, now that you finally have an EH50, you can stop messing with that ES10 and get down to some truly meaningful comparison testing between your 531 and EH50.


After all, everyone knows the ES10 is a much better non hard drive recorder than the Pio 231/233.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LP- I never said ES10 was a better RECORDER than the Pios, but I do believe the ES10 inputs VHS better. In that definition of Recorder ,yes. The E-80 is the longest truly proven HDD DVDR. It beat the Pios for recording quality in 2003 and a lot of 2004 and all others. Panny manufactured many more HDD models ,it outsold all others and the E-80 is still the King as to longevity, proven performance. It had no loading problems as subsequent JVCS did or blackout VHS input as Pio did in 2003-2004. It had divide and flex record way before the others. For it's time and even now, it freaking stands tall. It is the HF-SL900 Betamax of it's genre and time. Even more important every other subsequent HDD emulated the graphic interface by using same terms etc. The H2 from Panny started it but the others really adopted a lot of it.

LP- you are right -I plan to do some serious testing recording of HDNet Movies between the E-50 and Pio 531. I expect the Pio to win - after all the only reason I bought the E-50 is to input about 50 S-VHS and 50 VHS tapes. But we will see -who knows what the 50 will do?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy
LP- I never said ES10 was a better RECORDER than the Pios, but I do believe the ES10 inputs VHS better. In that definition of Recorder ,yes. The E-80 is the longest truly proven HDD DVDR. It beat the Pios for recording quality in 2003 and a lot of 2004 and all others. Panny manufactured many more HDD models ,it outsold all others and the E-80 is still the King as to longevity, proven performance. It had no loading problems as subsequent JVCS did or blackout VHS input as Pio did in 2003-2004. It had divide and flex record way before the others. For it's time and even now, it freaking stands tall. It is the HF-SL900 Betamax of it's genre and time. Even more important every other subsequent HDD emulated the graphic interface by using same terms etc. The H2 from Panny started it but the others really adopted a lot of it.

LP- you are right -I plan to do some serious testing recording of HDNet Movies between the E-50 and Pio 531. I expect the Pio to win - after all the only reason I bought the E-50 is to input about 50 S-VHS and 50 VHS tapes. But we will see -who knows what the 50 will do?
HG, your VHS copies of course will only be as good as the source. Have you considered upgrading your JVC VCR to a model with edit mode like this one?
http://www.jvc.com/product.jsp?model...thId=49&page=2 That way, you wouldn't need another HDD recorder, you'd get better copies than from your current VCR, and you'd end up spending a lot less money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
HG - I know you didn't put down the Pio231/233 - I did. I still have disgust for what Pioneer did to the 220, left over from when I first brought a 231 home only to find how Pioneer ransacked what was once a nice non hard drive recorder. If a friend were to ask me if he should buy the ES10 or the 231/233, I would recommend the ES10 over the 231/233, without hesitation.

The E80 is a classic. :)

As for your tests between the 531 and EH50, this is gonna be good, but I predict you will have a hard time deciding which performs best on any given test. But if anyone could tell the difference, it would have to be you, HG. I doubt that I could.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longplay
HG - I know you didn't put down the Pio231/233 - I did. I still have disgust for what Pioneer did to the 220, left over from when I first brought a 231 home only to find how Pioneer ransacked what was once a nice non hard drive recorder. If a friend were to ask me if he should buy the ES10 or the 231/233, I would recommend the ES10 over the 231/233, without hesitation.

The E80 is a classic. :)

As for your tests between the 531 and EH50, this is gonna be good, but I predict you will have a hard time deciding which performs best on any given test. But if anyone could tell the difference, it would have to be you, HG. I doubt that I could.
I agree, it should be close, but unless HG pops for a VCR with edit mode, the comparison won't be very useful. If I were him, I would have taken the money from the sale of the old Panny recorders and bought a good JVC S-VHS VCR with edit mode for about $150. Then he could burn clones of tapes just like I am, plus he'd be able to improve upon the originals with the proc amp. The only problem he would have is what to do with the money he saved by not buying the E50 :) If HG is like a lot of us, he probably likes getting new toys, and I have to admit, getting a new E50 is a lot more fun than getting a VCR. But I still think he would have better VHS copies if he gets a new VCR and burns them on the 531.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
223 Posts
I am not convinced that HG's JVC SVCR doesn't have EDIT mode. I think he just hasn't found it yet, because mine is a cheap one and it has it.


HG - Go to FUNCTION menu - You will see a list of functions. One will be PICTURE CONTROL. It will probably be set to AUTO. The other choices are SOFT , SHARP and EDIT. Toggle to EDIT. Let the games begin. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longplay
I am not convinced that HG's JVC SVCR doesn't have EDIT mode. I think he just hasn't found it yet, because mine is a cheap one and it has it.


HG - Go to FUNCTION menu - You will see a list of functions. One will be PICTURE CONTROL. It will probably be set to AUTO. The other choices are SOFT , SHARP and EDIT. Toggle to EDIT. Let the games begin. :)
Yeah, if HG could test using edit mode with the 531, we might be able to uncover the truth about the mysterious composite inputs on the Pannies. Now that really would be something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
427 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by longplay
I am not convinced that HG's JVC SVCR doesn't have EDIT mode. I think he just hasn't found it yet, because mine is a cheap one and it has it.


HG - Go to FUNCTION menu - You will see a list of functions. One will be PICTURE CONTROL. It will probably be set to AUTO. The other choices are SOFT , SHARP and EDIT. Toggle to EDIT. Let the games begin. :)
Well, we haven't heard from HG in awhile, so either the power is out because of a hurricane, or he's picked up his new E50. Boy, this a real nail biter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Probe-I will recheck my JVC for that( I do not think I saw that menu- but it could be there) - and get back. It is tied up now inputting a 2002 Football game. As far as springing for a new S-VHS ,I only have about 13 tapes to go that are S-VHS- not cost effective for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
My E-80 just went back the 2 year mark and I was thinking about selling it to a friend. But I just started having problems with the E-80 not being able to play the dvds that it finalizes on the E-80 itself. I get the finalize completed message. But when you hit the return/enter button. The screen goes black while the dvd drive tries to read the finalized disc. This last about a minute then you get the message "The disc is uncompatible ... hit return/enter" on the tv screen. On the front of the unit display it will say "unsupport". Switch over to the hdd side. Remove the finalized dvd and play it in the E-500 or any other dvd player and it plays fine.


Before any one ask what brand of media i am using. I am using mostly Fuji on this E-80. But have also used TDK, Maxell and Philips. Every brand of dvd-r I try to finalize end up with the same message after I finalize it and hit the enter button.


It also has just started to read and write to dvd-ram disc. Even try to erase a file from a Panny dvd-ram disc and it will shut down the unit.



I have one year left on a panasonic extended warranty so it may be time to send it in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,700 Posts
Yeah, pretty much sounds like it needs to be serviced. Make sure you send it to a factory service center and not a contracted authorized repair shop. It will get fixed faster.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top