Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm no videophile, but a few things are clear about these two units:

The X1 has blacker blacks than the 75u, and maybe slightly more depth. But I can also see rainbows in Men in Black and Gladiator, and although it's not constant, it sure as hell is weird and distracting. My neighbor saw them too, but didn't complain until I asked him. He thought that it was some sort of "lens flare because of the angle that we were at" as he described it, but he didn't like it once I mentioned it. He said that he was way too wowed by the screen size to complain about anything, so he didn't consider it, but now he is fixated on them. He's shifting his eyes and rubbing his head as we speak.

The 75u has better picture quality on HDTV from DirecTV and Windows Desktop by far, and I've eliminated "screendoor"by moving the projector back a foot; I think that XGA wins out on WSVGA hands down, on HDTV. On DVD, it was harder to tell, but again, slightly more depth on the X1, but just slightly more, and definately more color and picture accuracy on the 75u. The 75u was also brighter, had a shorter throw, and the unit is physically smaller, but is built way better- like a tank, as compared to the x1's plastic.

I prefer the 75u over the X1, even if the X1 didn't have rainbows. RadeonVE-based HTPC Powerstrip and WinDVD used for DVD

x1- $1300

75u-$1600

Thanks all for your input, especially Scott!

LaKidd

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
How far back were you sitting from the screen for the screen door of the 75u to disappear? 1.5x screen width? I am curious because this could dictate whether it would work well for my application.

Thanks,

Ryan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello,

We were about 12 feet back, fully zoomed in. At about 9 to 10 feet it was noticeable, but not if you did a very, very slight defocus (had to barely nudge the focus ring) , which oddly enough made the movies look more "filmic" and smooth, but I didn't like the defocus for the Windows desktop.

LaKidd

·
Registered
427 Posts
How big a screen were you using?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Glad you like the 75U LaKidd. The 75U has MLA to help with screendoor. You will find that a very slight clockwise turn will help tremendously. I sit about 15 feet back from a 45 x 80 screen and I don't notice screenddor at all. It is my understanding that with MLA you get better results defocusing in one direction than the other. From playing around, I determined you get better results defocusing in a clockwise direction.

Glad to see another 75U'r.

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.