AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my 9pg+ just was delivered (DHL didnt want to deliver it to my location, but they did). It was a bear getting it up 4 flights of stairs (3 stories) at 225lbs crated, but its now resting on something we can move around to get the right screen size. I couldnt wait and I wanted to make sure that it would atleast turn on, so I plugged it in, hit the front power button, and then the rear one... nothing seemed to be happening, but when I looked downthe center gun, it was flickering green, no source hooked up. Does that sound right?

Configuration begins tonight, and I have a lot of literature to pour over.

Boy is she big..

Thanks

::Stuart

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Should be alright.

NECs need a source hooked up to them, and if you try to feed it s-video or composite video, you also need the V4-Dec PWB.

What do the LEDs on the back show?

Kai

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have coax coming tomorrow, and im planning on making some custom canare runs (and i got the mitsubishi breakout box off ebay) so I am going to drive it with a HTPC. I am pretty comfortable with my HTPC, and video output, so I was planning on configuring that as my source. Does it make any sense to try any config with svideo off a DVD player? or do I just wait, im really eager to start calibrating it.

·
Registered
13,003 Posts
Do you have a V4 PWB? It is in the rear of the projector. If not, then you can't use S-video. Go to Curts webpage and download the manuals and read them thoroughly.

Ericglo

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
What's a V4 PWB?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Quad video decoder (NTSC, PAL, SECAM, ???). You use it to set one variable resistor, then you never use it again, because video looks crap.

00 is normal. And yep, you must connect a source.

Read Tinman and Feathers setup guide on Curts website. www.cutpalme.com

I'm not certain if that Mitsubishi breakout box has the connections correct. If you have trouble getting it to sync from the PC, keep that in mind.

Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay ive had a night with this beast and here is what ive found. A) the red tube show slight wear (id guess a good 8) and the lens on it is different than the other tubes (uses the new brass screws (not an improvement)) (the lens is an HD-145) the other two tubes use the old screw method the lens appear clear (though they do color coded P/N's on them) anh they are 6C's co something like that. The other tubes are both 9's. I believe I have the optional svideo board, but it comes out all scrambled. before I started playing with anything I set the brightness and contrast really low (in the 30,s for brightness and in the teens for contrast). the unit has 6500 hours on it, and my guess is, that it was retubed. I purchased this unit from another forum member tbase1, and he said it came from Curt. I am getting my coax today, and I already know I need to rewire that mitsu FA1.

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardour
Okay ive had a night with this beast and here is what ive found. A) the red tube show slight wear (id guess a good 8) and the lens on it is different than the other tubes (uses the new brass screws (not an improvement)) (the lens is an HD-145) the other two tubes use the old screw method the lens appear clear (though they do color coded P/N's on them) anh they are 6C's co something like that. The other tubes are both 9's. I believe I have the optional svideo board, but it comes out all scrambled. before I started playing with anything I set the brightness and contrast really low (in the 30,s for brightness and in the teens for contrast). the unit has 6500 hours on it, and my guess is, that it was retubed. I purchased this unit from another forum member tbase1, and he said it came from Curt. I am getting my coax today, and I already know I need to rewire that mitsu FA1.

Thanks for any input.
If the Red tube looks worse than the Blue and Green, then somebody definitely changed tubes in the unit. What's scrambled? That doesn't sound good.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am in the process of making RGBHV cables for the projector (from my HTPC). Last night I ran an svideo cable from my DVD player and hooked it up. I started up the projector and tried to create a new input from "video" and it came out scrambled, I assume that it was trying to output at the wrong frequency, but I figured id go put the finishing touches on my blackout screen. Tonight i should have the screen and all the cables finished. So I should be able to configure it for the 720P i plan to output from my htpc.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To clarify, by scrambled I mean that I could tell somthing other than no signal was getting pushed to the tube, but the refresh rate looked like it was way too high. (looked similar to watching a ppv movie without paying). Also the two crts that have been replaced dont have the little A/B levers up top.

Also test patterns show fine, when I pick RGBHV input, with nothing hooked up to it.

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
Yes, chances are the red is orignal, I probably put in new G and B tubes. A bit of red wear is OK, chances are you won't see any wear on an all white screen or an all red screen.

The A/B levers are the scheimpflug adjustment tabs. I don't recall ever sending out a set with a mix and match lens and tab set....

Curt

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are the mix and match lens gonna cause a problem? also, I assume that the red tint on the red lens is what people call color corrected, is this going to effect things? I believe I got a good price on this unit, but some of this stuff just didnt come up in my questioning. Should I be on the lookout for a set of 145's? or am I okay with what I have? What are the +'s / -'s?

Thanks so much for your help. All I have to go on is what the seller told me, and I know these units get around and that it being over 10 years old has probably had its share of tinkering done to it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
the red tube condition could have been caused due to the color filtered red lens as opposed to the non color filtered green lens. The red had to be pushed harder to compensate for the filtering.

Anyhow, an 8-rated tube should still give you a very nice pic.

The HD-145 lens is a lot sharper than the HD-6C lenses btw, and the throw distances might be slightly different as well.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it seems that the seller has a set of minty HD-145 color filtered lens for sale.. Seems kinda suspect to me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just called the guy, and he says this is how Curt set it up. Anyway, is there a good resource for finding out the throw distance of lens / specs. He says that the green lens I have is also color corrected (cant verify) and that blue is never color corrected. I think I have read somewhere on this forum that this is the case. I cant wait to got home and start setting it up.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
You need the A/B tabs (the flapping spacers) or you will not be able to focus the projector.

With mixed and matched lenses you possibly will not be able to focus it either.

Post a few pics so we can see what's going on.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.