AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know if this post is along forum rules but I think that there have been too many tweak posts here and little feedback about how they improve your system. Well 2 days ago I tried this tweak by APM:

QUOTE "Dixie Cups...just not used for drinking anymore. Take simple paper dixie cups and start by placing them under your speaker cable to raise the cable off the floor. Did you hear a difference??? Now lift power cords (amp, tv, etc) off the floor. Did you hear and see a difference??? Now lift all interconnects and video cables off the floor. Did you hear and see a difference??? Now dress all your cables so they don't touch one another, especially the power cords. Did you hear and see a difference??? If you did give the system at least another 48 to 72 hours to break-in the new improvements. Let me know what you think of the results. I figure why should I tell what to expect. This way the result will be natural response and not predetermined."

I was expecting to have a hard time noticing anything but boy was I wrong. The soundstage opened so much that it was very easy to notice the improvement. The sound is very "clear" now and my old muffled center channel dialog problem is completely gone! Heck, I had to turn the db down on the center channel which I had higher than others speakers to compensate for the mufled sound. Other thing is that its much easier now to pinpoint sounds in different areas of space...certainly amazing for such a cheap tweak. I bought the Greenlee volt detector in order to know at which distance the power cords should be from each other and now none of the cables or wires are near others to cause any problems.

Regards

·
Registered
119 Posts
APM, Alan or Chili as he goes by now, has lots of great cheap tweaks to try. He gave me some ideas that made some very nice improvements in my system, audio and video. He's in the process of building up his new site, you should check it out.

·
Registered
78 Posts
How do you "dress" a cable? What material do you use? I always thought it was good to bundle all your like for like cables. For example, I tie wrap all my audio cables together. I do the same for video and power cables. If I separate all of them, should the sound be better?

Thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
At least in my case separating all cables and also not allowing any cable to touch the floor did improve my system's sound sustantially. Its pretty cheap and all you have to do is spend some time planning how to do it right and maybe get the GREENLEE voltage detector to help you separate the power cables to a safe distance.

·
Registered
5,896 Posts
Is this a joke? :confused:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I've tried various materials to raise cables off the carpet. The best so far were short lengths of an oak dowel that I cut up. Try this Luis and I think you will find that your system sounds significantly better than with the paper cups.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I was so impressed with the Dixie cups, that I took it one further and poked pencils into the Dixie cups to elevate the wires off the cups. There was an immediate improvement in the clarity and definition of at least 137%. And things only got better over the next 7 to 14 hours -- by the next day the improvement was at least 213%.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Actually my priority was to separate all wires so I just kept then at least 5 inches apart and then ran the cables and wires close to the walls with those cheap sticky hooks sold everywhere.

Some people rather dismiss this as a silly vodoo magic myth but never even tried it. I was skeptical but instead of putting the tweak down, I decided to try since its so cheap, and then post my finding wether negative or possitive. Well, this is what this post is all about. Hopefully someone else will try it and post if it does help him or not.

Regards

BTW To someone who asked, nop is not a joke. :)

·
Registered
337 Posts
I have found seperating all cables to produce a very noticable improvement.

I actually tried the bunching of cables and even braided my bi-wire cables which were actually shotgun Kimber 4TC for the bass and 4TC for the top all together.

When I actually sperated the cables, the air and sheer speed of the performance was very clear.

Putting the cables on hooks is a good idea. I had mine hung from elastic bands for a while, but have now gone for trunking fixed to the wall for some cable-hiding appeal.

It helps with the seperation too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.