AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just received my HW55ES and have a few questions/concerns.

- Box was damaged in one corner and all four of the bottom Styrofoam pieces were broken. Hopefully the projector works fine, or perhaps this damage was already done to the box and Styrofoam pieces.
- I cannot find the lamp certificate anywhere in the box. Is it 'hidden'? Looked everyone I could think of and leafed through the manual. Kind of a big deal for this to not be in there.
- There were three compartments with 3D glasses and not two.
- Online it says the projector has a 3 year warranty, AVS Sales 5 mentioned it comes with the standard 2 year Sony warranty (which I assumed was a typo, since the standard is 3 year) and in the box there is an insert that says 90 days labor and 1 year parts warranty. So???
- Was told even though this was B Stock came with everything just like regular one.
- Also there is a small cable in the box that looks like Ethernet on one end and PS2 or something on the other end.

Online this is what it says is in the box.
AC Power Cord- Check
Lens Cap - Check
Image Director (downloadable by user) - Supposed to be a key/code card in the box or just everyone can download?
3D Glasses (including battery and pouch) - Check x 3
LMP-H202 Lamp (coupon for extra replacement LMP-H202 included) - Missing coupon, and assuming lamp is there as there is an AVS checklist showing the projector checked out and shows 0 lamp hours.
Operating Instructions - Check
Warranty Card - Check, but confusing since it says 90 day labor and 1 year parts.
Remote - Check

Going to take some screen pictures of my VW40 and then swap them out and turn the HW55ES on and see how everything checks out. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Picture looks great. Took a bit to adjust it to my screen as the horizontal/vertical dials are a bit clunky. They do not feel smooth at all. They are loose, then get tighter to turn, then a chunky feel and the lens moves to what feels like a preset spot, then it is loose again, then tight as it approaches the next 'preset' spot. Took a lot of very slow turning back and forth to finally get it where it needed to be.

Is that normal?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Hmm... it appears that it might be the RF conversion cable.
That would be odd -- is it this cable http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...wners-thread-sony-hw55es-31.html#post24598161

See post No. 921http://www.avsforum.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=921 (this is the RF dongle - it comes with the European units in lieu of a lamp certificate). If you got it lucky you -- it is $75 + tax and shipping from Sony parts. If you get the Xpand AD025 adapter, you can use RF 3D glasses which are much nicer. But only lucky you if you can also get the lamp certificate.

90 day/1 year warranty -- that sounds like a Sony b-stock. I don't think they come with full 3-year ES warranties -- but check with your dealer.

3 sets of IR 3d glasses -- sounds like you got an extra set.

Missing lamp certificate -- it looks like a coupon (maybe 3" by 4"). Easy to miss. It's green. If you didn't get it -- check with the ES customer line (I posted a number above).

It's a great PJ -- hope it all works out for you.

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
I just received my HW55ES and have a few questions/concerns.

- Box was damaged in one corner and all four of the bottom Styrofoam pieces were broken. Hopefully the projector works fine, or perhaps this damage was already done to the box and Styrofoam pieces.
- I cannot find the lamp certificate anywhere in the box. Is it 'hidden'? Looked everyone I could think of and leafed through the manual. Kind of a big deal for this to not be in there.
- There were three compartments with 3D glasses and not two.
- Online it says the projector has a 3 year warranty, AVS Sales 5 mentioned it comes with the standard 2 year Sony warranty (which I assumed was a typo, since the standard is 3 year) and in the box there is an insert that says 90 days labor and 1 year parts warranty. So???
- Was told even though this was B Stock came with everything just like regular one.
- Also there is a small cable in the box that looks like Ethernet on one end and PS2 or something on the other end.

Online this is what it says is in the box.
AC Power Cord- Check
Lens Cap - Check
Image Director (downloadable by user) - Supposed to be a key/code card in the box or just everyone can download?
3D Glasses (including battery and pouch) - Check x 3
LMP-H202 Lamp (coupon for extra replacement LMP-H202 included) - Missing coupon, and assuming lamp is there as there is an AVS checklist showing the projector checked out and shows 0 lamp hours.
Operating Instructions - Check
Warranty Card - Check, but confusing since it says 90 day labor and 1 year parts.
Remote - Check

Going to take some screen pictures of my VW40 and then swap them out and turn the HW55ES on and see how everything checks out. :)
Typo, B-stock from us comes with the same 3 year warranty as new on that projector. Surprised that it came with the RF cable. A lot of people would like that cable. Lamp in the projector showed zero hours, so yes it comes with lamp. We don't sell projectors without lamps. :) Strange on the glasses, usually only have two pair?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Typo, B-stock from us comes with the same 3 year warranty as new on that projector. Surprised that it came with the RF cable. A lot of people would like that cable. Lamp in the projector showed zero hours, so yes it comes with lamp. We don't sell projectors without lamps. :) Strange on the glasses, usually only have two pair?
So ignore the 90 day labor/1 year parts warranty in the box? Do I contact AVS for the duration of the 3 years for warranty purposes?

Also, I have the Onkyo 805 that I bought from AVS and apparently it will not pass 3D signal. What should I upgrade to? Is there an older model Onkyo that is solid, reliable and passes 3D that would be comparable to my 805?

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
So ignore the 90 day labor/1 year parts warranty in the box? Do I contact AVS for the duration of the 3 years for warranty purposes?

Also, I have the Onkyo 805 that I bought from AVS and apparently it will not pass 3D signal. What should I upgrade to? Is there an older model Onkyo that is solid, reliable and passes 3D that would be comparable to my 805?
If buying an AVR, I would not buy one without Atmos. Take a look at the Denon X4100. It does not have the amp section of the 805 (I view the 805 as last of the big blocks), but it has Audyssey XT32 and Atmos. Give us a call if we can help you. Shoot us an email regarding the warranty, unless it is already noted on your receipt. it usually is noted on receipt.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If buying an AVR, I would not buy one without Atmos. Take a look at the Denon X4100. It does not have the amp section of the 805 (I view the 805 as last of the big blocks), but it has Audyssey XT32 and Atmos. Give us a call if we can help you. Shoot us an email regarding the warranty, unless it is already noted on your receipt. it usually is noted on receipt.
What about the NR838, NR1010 or NR1030?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I actually have an 875, not an 805. Forgot I upgraded my order at the end. :D

I have been extremely satisfied with my Onkyo. Have they went that far downhill? Is there an older Denon that is comparable with the 875 and can pass 3D signals?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks like going from the 875 to the 4100, I would be going from 140 watts per channel to 125.... :(

·
Registered
30,263 Posts
Looks like going from the 875 to the 4100, I would be going from 140 watts per channel to 125.... :(
Yep and that means 0.36db difference. You will never be able to tell the difference.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sent you an email. :)

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The amp section and power supply in the 805 were big and beefy.
Sounds like amps really went downhill since my 875. I am just going to keep it and try using an HDMI switch between my PS3 and Receiver to the Projector. I should be able to run optical from the PS3 to the receiver for sound on 3D movies.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts