Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,

I'm a newbie here & very limited computer skill except whatever learned in the office,just yesterday I've assembled a HTPC for use for my newly acquired used NEC PG9 pj as my Philips progressive dvd player only has outputs for s-video,composite & component but not RGBHV. I'm not satisfied with the s-video PQ.The PC consist AMD Athlon XP 1700, Gigabyte mobo,256mb DDR, ATI radeon 9000,Pioneer DVD. The above system was selected from recomendations in the HTPC forums.I'm using the PowerDVD driver which come with the mobo & I've zero knowledge of other drivers except names mentioned like Theater Tek, Zoomplayer etc.

As I'm only planning to use 2 channel stereo for my HT(to hook up to hi-fi DAC),I did not install any sound card after hearing various comments of the pros & cons & also to keep things simple.I was wondering is it possible to connect the digital output directly from the dvd digital socket(2 pin) to a modified cable with a RCA/BNC connector at the other end? will it work?will the output be just plain PCM & NOT DD or DTS.

I know there will be a lot of trial & error to configure the most appropriate system & will most appreciate all the advise from all the forerunners. I'm sure that I'm moving in the right direction to PG bliss.

Thanks

ps: some of the hardware/software are not readily available here in Malysia eg: the Philips dynamic edge card which had been mentioned & recommended by others

·
Registered
687 Posts
The DVD drive won't decode the audio streams that are on the disc. A few discs (mostly music videos) have PCM soundtracks, but mostly you'll be getting Dolby Digital or DTS.

You'll need to get a sound card and use a software DVD player to decode the Dolby Digital or DTS stream and output it through an S/PDIF connection to your DAC.

--

Steve

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Steve for your speedy advise.

2days ago went & got myself a 'X-Wave Elite' sound card using Yamaha 744 chip, it's basically a stereo card with a pseudo surround output.It does not process 5.1,AC3.It's OK as I just need stereo PCM digital.But things didn't work as planned. Playing audio CD is OK as my DAC could lock on the digital stream but not DVD as I could not find the menu page to downmix the DVD digital signal to just PCM.I'm using PowerDVD and the bundled Yamaha sound card player.I'Am i configuring wrong or have I bought a non-compatible sound card for DVD playback?Any recommendations as to hardware & software as I could not afford another mistake. Would I be OK with the creative cards?Usually the downmix menu in the sound card player or DVD player/software?

Thx & regards to all.

Lee

·
Registered
276 Posts
If youre using PowerDVD in the configuration menu under audio, select S/PDIF out for your audio output. This will allow you to do PCM right to your Reciever.

Also.. I used an old mini din to rca as my COAX digital connector.

It was so simple it wasnt funny.

:D

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Actually for DVD movies, setting PDVD to S/PDIF will pass through DD/DTS which is different than downmixing to 2 channel and outputing as pcm.

Lee, I'm not familier with the xwave elite, but if you are looking to downmix to 2 channel and output as pcm to your receiver/processor, you might want to check the following:

- maybe see if your windows default output device can be set to S/PDIF if that shows as an option (in WinXP that's Control Panel > Sounds and Multimedia)

- make sure your normal windows audio is outputing as pcm (e.g., if you play a wav file or audio CD it goes to your receiver or processor as pcm - it sounds like you checked this already)

- in PDVD setup/configuration, you want to set the audio output to be 2 channel or speaker. PDVD will then decode the DD/DTS as you play a movie and *downmix* the 5.1 audio (or whatever it is) to just Front Left and Front Right speakers. Your soundcard should then output this as regular pcm just like it does for the other windows audio.

If your receiver or processor does have a DD/DTS decoder built in then its probably better to set PDVD to S/PDIF as TreyCarr suggested, but if your looking to have the movie audio decoded and downmixed to 2 channel by PDVD, then try my suggestions above and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks TreyCarr & Sherbona for your replies & suggestions.As suggested,I set the audio output to '2 speaker' in PDVD configuration menu & true enough I had sweet music & dialogue coming out from my stereo thru my stereo DAC.I needn't use any adapter for the digital uotput from the sound card as it was equiped with proper RCA female plugs dor both SPDIF IN & OUT.Whoopeee, now to set my NEC 9PG for some movies. Thanks a milion ,guys. It's some comforting to know that help is just a click away.

Best regards.Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to all AVS members.

Lee

p/s it's still sunny & bright here in Malaysia, in fact it's been the same the last 364 days.

·
Registered
276 Posts
glad you got it working!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.