AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the rains finally stopped here in NY which allowed me to finally throw my new dss antenna up on the roof.

1st show watched was the texas bat show on hdnet followed by the final fantasy movie on HBO and I am disapointed. I am disapointed that I will never be able to watch regular TV again EVER! Ill watch that damn bat show and any bad movie over and over before i go back to regular TV.

My head may explode tomorrow when I see the live broadcast of the belmont.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Regular TV!!! I cant even watch DVD's anymore!!!!:)

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
That makes me remember the first HD image I saw when I FINALLY got a satellite receiver and dish hooked up to my 1-1/2 year old HD set. It was a dirt bike race on HD-Net followed by Over Beautiful British Columbia. The HD images were everything I hoped and read (for years) they would be.

That night put DVDs into perspective for me. Yes HD is better but DVDs ARE the ultimate NTSC has to offer in my opinion. Regular SD television just looks bad against HD and Progressive Scan DVDs.

·
Registered
716 Posts
yes, welcome to the fold monty;

Since we're reminiscing about our first experiences (...and I mean HD), I remember after having had my HDTV for a month or two with a DVD player, wondering whether it was worth me getting a HD STB. I hunted everywhere for one, tracked one down and managed to get cables in time to set the thing up and was surprised when JAG appeared on the screen in HD and 16x9. Man, it just looked so awesome.

There's just no going back to NTSC after HD.

Greg

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's been about 12 hours straight now and the only problem I see is on HBOHD I am getting some pixelation quite often. After doing a search here i noticed that i am not the only one seeing this on Directv. But the Honeymoon has definately not worn off yet :}

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Wesley,

I agree with your post completely. One point you made needs clarification, at least for me. The term, "Progressive scan DVDs," needs some explanation to me. I may be dead wrong but I think they don't exist, at least in wide distribution. We take a line doubler or deinterlacer to the interlaced content on a dvd. The point here is that I think we would get a pretty good ntsc picture from any source that has high enough quality to benefit from good doubling. I wish that Directv would look more at quality than quantity and that stb's had a digital output for feeding a scaler with better deinterlacing. None of this is new technology, only the careful application of what we already have.

Enough. HD is wonderful. The first exposure to it is spectacular. You just want to run out and get your neighbors to see it. Art

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
There are no progressive scan DVDs, only progressive scan DVD players.

If film-sourced material is put on a DVD, the original 24 frame per second rock solid performance can be reassembled from the interlaced DVD by advanced circuitry inside a progressive scan DVD player. It's then sent to the TV's 480p component/DVD input. Ideally, the progressive scan DVD player would send out a 72 Hz signal, with each frame triple-clicked (as it is also done in a movie theater). 24 x 3 = 72.

The ideal progressive scan DVD player these days is a Windows PC with a nice video output card and VGA-to-component adapter box.

·
Registered
69 Posts
When I first watched my first HD programming, I was of course stunned by the clarity and detail of the picture. After a while, what really catches my eye now is the amount of different color used. When watching HD, you literally see color that you've never seen before on NTSC. To me, that is almost better than the razor sharp images and detail. Everyone really like the Bikini Destinations show on HDNet, and it is awesome for obvious reasons. But I also noticed the reds, oranges, and purples in the sky when the sun was setting. Amazing.

Matt

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by montynyc
It's been about 12 hours straight now and the only problem I see is on HBOHD I am getting some pixelation quite often. After doing a search here i noticed that i am not the only one seeing this on Directv. But the Honeymoon has definately not worn off yet :}
I get some on DirecTV too but not "quite often" maybe once or twice a day. (when Im watching HBO.)

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Sorry guys, I meant to keep on typing and put "players" on the end. Oops. In my defense: it was 1:00 o'clock in the morning. :)

P.S. Matt is sure right about the colors too.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by montynyc
Ill watch that damn bat show and any bad movie over and over before i go back to regular TV.
And final fantasy wasn't just ANY BAD movie. Not only is it bad but its so gray (except for the red stuff and the blue stuff whatever the bleep that was). Wait til you see Shrek in HD !!!

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
I have to say that DVD played from a computer to a monitor (VGA) has just about as good color as HD. Funny that my DVD player with VGA out doesn't put out as good color from the progressive component out as the VGA out.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:
Nicer still without the VGA to component adapter, straight VGA to a pj equipped for it. Art
The Mitsubishis with VGA in are 'spensive :( :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.