AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to start off by saying hello to all. I have frequented this forum for quite some time as I am preparing to upgrade the video end of my home theater. This is my first time posting and I am in dire need of advice. I know that some of you poor guys have been scammed before and I want to avoid this. Unfortunately, I am ne wto all of this and I need your help. After doing some research here on projectors, I had a couple in mind and began searching the auction sites. I ended up winning an auction at yahoo auctions for a new in box Infocus LP530. As opposed to large feedback ratings on ebay, most sellers on this site are new, as is the case here. Complicating matters is the fact that the seller lives in the UK and he claims that he wants the transaction done through western union. i started off by emailing him and asking for his phone number and a good time to call. What would you recommend I do? Is western union guaranteed? I feel like I got a really good deal and I can't wait to enter the world of front projection, but I don't want to lose my money... here is the gist of the email:

Congratulations for winning my auction on yahoo. I wanted to assure you once again that the item is brand new, comes in original box and with the full set of accessories.

To complete this transaction, please email me your shipping address so I can get your package ready to ship. I will send the item with your prefered shipping carrier but what I can advise you to use UPS WORLDWIDE because I think it's the best. I've made many transactions using UPS services and i am very pleased by the results. The goods will be delivered in a 2-3 working days (e.g withFeDex, UPS).

I am new on YAHOO Auctions, therefore after will complete this business please put a good rating and i will put a good feedback too.

The payment it will be done trough Western Union money transfer.If you are not familiar with this transfer company just visit: www.westernunion.com

Here you will find a subtitle called "agent locator",press click on it and he will show you the

closest office from you can send the payment on my

name and address as follows:

As soon i will receive the payment confirmation from

you by mail i will contact the carrier and i will send

you back the tracking number for the package so you

can track the item on the internet at www.ups.com .

Upon receipt of payment, you will receive a UPS Worldship e-mail with all of your tracking information.

I consider that the transaction`s terms are very fair for both sides and that's why it is the only i accept.

Please send me the sender's name and address as

appears on the money transfer receipt and the MTCN (secret number of the transaction) which they will provide you.

Hoping that sounds ok for you i am already looking

forward for future deals.

THANKS IN ADVANCE AND GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
93 Posts
Lot of Russian Fraud on the auctions... be careful!

Can get a good price from an real authorized InFocus dealer in the USA and not have potential warranty issues.

See mine if you want or there are a number of good sites running banners on this forum.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can tell you that InFocus are one of the lowest margin selling projectors over dealer cost. If you're getting a deal much better then any of the dealers advertising on this site, the deal is fraud, HOT, or gray market.

In the end, you could lose out on any of these deals.

Just an FYI

·
Registered
456 Posts
For a Brit he uses some really bad English. Unless he's just living there. Might see what other payment options he might accept.

·
Registered
625 Posts
There is NO Santa Clause

or

If it Sounds tooo Good than it isn't

I bought my LP350 on Ebay, was listed as NEW w/pictures

When I asked about warranty she kept saying NEW

OK, so I COD for a Cashier's Check via UPS

Yup it's a LP350, but the ID/UPC labels are ripped off

NO, UPS guy won't let me open it, but we peek into hand holds

So, I give him the Cashier's check anyway (I am drooling for FP)

Quick call to INFOCUS with Serial #

First SOLD last month, now NEW Refurbished unit

And NO they do not Honor any Warranty expect to original Buyer

Lucky for me it works great

and I did save $900 off Best Dealer $price

So there's the Warranty, fair trade I figure

1. I never do business out of Country thru auction

2. Always try to pay with CC [maybe you can reverse on Fraud]

3. Next time for BIG purchase I will use ESCROW

4. Get Serial # and call INFOCUS first

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Basicly it comes down to one thing for me....

if it's over $500 and the seller refuses to use escrow then I don't bother. This is especially true for any seller that only accepts bank checks or money orders and is a new seller. I don't mind throwing away >$100 on escrow fees to make sure both myself and the seller are protected. Anyone who refuses escrow should be consitered suspect.

From what I have seen the projector market on yahoo os about %50 fishy to me. Their is only a few selling at close to retail, most by new sellers, and most only accept bank check or money order. It just seems like a sucker bet to send a WU to someone who you only know by e-mail.

To save money the safe and easy way try the classifieds here on avsforums. Besides the fact that you won't get caught up in the moment bidding, most of the people you can quickly check for credability ( or use escrow too ). B-stock comes with a warranty on most items and is usually discounted nicley too.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Oh and another scam....

This one may even get around escrow unfortunatly. You Win/Buy hot new item for well below retail ( or FMV ). Seller offers to advance ship if you agree to WU the money once you evaluate product. This sounds too good to be true, well it is.

He gets your shipping info and as much personal info as possible. He then gets an online retailer to ship you the product with a stolen CC. You recieve the package and after a couple of days WU the money.

A week/month later the CC company calls and demands thier product returned.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
FRAUD FRAUD FRAUD!!!

This guy IS a fraud. I've delt with him or one just like him not too long ago. It was also for a projector on Yahoo. Yahoo is the easiest place to scam since they do not go after people practically at all. They just don't care. They will say it is out of their hands but thanks for bringing it to their attention.

If anyone, and I mean ANYONE on Yahoo auctions refuses escrow or pay pal or any third party payment and only wants moneygram or western union and they have no positive feedback then it is a fraud. Especially if they say they are over seas. I know that is a big generalization and there could be the chance (a very small one) that it is legit but I'm telling you as a victim that they will screw you. Once you send that money with moneygram or westernunion you can't get it back. They won't help you if it is a scam either.

There is a guy that has been keeping a list of scammers on Yahoo's site and you will come across him since he makes bids in the millions of people that are trying scam. He is a great guy and has actually worked with the FBI over in Denmark to catch a few of these guys and get some people their money back.

So I leave you with NEVER NEVER NEVER pay an auction off of Yahoo or Ebay with Western Union or Moneygram if those are your only options. You will get burned and you will see a different user sell the same 'hot' item with the same description within a week.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Actually, that poor guy is me :). I have no intention whatsoever to send $ to these thieves. I noticed the item descriptions and pics ripped off from recent eBay auctions. I think that's a legit reason not to pay.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
JB72,

I'll assume you are new to this as well. What you have done is what gives buyers a bad name. Now I'll admit this defenatly seems like a scam, but you should have figured that out before you bid.

For the %1 chance it's legit, it's no wonder sellers are turned off to the whole process as much as buyers. Always confirm before your bid.

·
Registered
67 Posts
So if you figure out something is probably a scam before you send the money you should send the money anyway?

What planet did you say you were from?

At the very least I would communicate with the seller and request an escrow.

Geoff Sherwood

·
Registered
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Geoff Sherwood
What planet did you say you were from?

Geoff Sherwood
Isn't it pretty obvious with his or her name, SNOWMOON :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
No I think you people missed the point. There are multiple ways of communicating with a seller BEFORE bidding.

On the Yahoo auctions I just post a question to the seller about using escrow. If he doesn't respond or says no, I don't bid in the first place.

I'm NOT saying that you should follow through on this obviously fradulent purchace, but that you OWE it to yourself and all of the legitimate auctions out there to communicate with the seller your terms BEFORE bidding.

Hey, as I tell me friends all the time....

I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid.

BTW: snowmoon = febuary in moon names. No particular reason, just sounds cool and is fairly unique.

Cheers

·
Registered
456 Posts
Actually I intended to ask for an escrow. I also think it's reasonably to get an explenation why this auction http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI...tem=1291966548 was on eBay before any transaction is made.

BTW I've made several buys/sells on eBay and never backed out. Never had any reason to.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Update: Auction closed and I someone else bid. Then I got this email from [email protected] :

"Hello,

I want to thank you in advance for the time you take

to read my mail!

Please let me know if you're still interested in.NEW

SELECO DLP FRONT PROJECTOR

because you bid on it and you were outbid by another

buyer...

I saw that your last bid was of:$1225 and i'm willing

to sell it to you

for that much.

The thing is that right now I'm in Italy where i

started a small bussiness

and I want to do good profitable transactions.I used

the net because it is

faster and safer but unfortunately yahoo doesn't allow

me to submit more than

one item and i want to sell more than one as i have

them on the stock.

You want to buy and i want to sell so why start

another auction and loose

time when we can close this deal right now!

I can only accept paying with Western Union (they are

teh fastest in the world the transaction only lasts 10

minutes!!...if you decide to use it please deduct the

fee)or you can also use a direct bank wire

transfer...but that will last much longer..a few days

sometimes.

I tryed using other services but the workers are

italian and things do not

work as they should...I had problems with COD,

Escrow,PayPal and so on... they

loose packages , spoil the content desregarding that

you write on the "fragile"

and sometimes the products never reach the

recipient.It is not my fault but if

something bad happens to your product you will be

discontent and i will have to

pay for the damages and i don't want this kind of

trouble.

I will pay the shipping, I'll ship with your prefered

shipping method(FeDEX,UPS

DHL,etc)the are reliable service ;i used them in the

past and it was ok!

If you agree this please let me know and I will

forward my details for payment.

I am anxiously awaiting your reply.

Thanks and have a nice day!

P. S.

I have to ask you something...after we close the deal

please let me

a positive feed back because i want the other buyers

that i am a reliable

seller and a person of my word"

Yeah. PayPal always screws up packages :rolleyes: . And he/she was listed at a town in Washington, not Italy :). It's kind of hilarious but someone else bid and I don't know if they are aware if it's fraud or not. I don't know how to contact them. Any suggestions? Will Yahoo! help?

Thanks,

·
Registered
158 Posts
jb72....

I won an aution for a lt150 last week for $670, I got the exact same automated responce minutes after wining the bid. The aution said they were in Texas but she wanted the money wired to her business parter in italy! I ran the other way and gave her a bad feed back...

Bill

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I want to thank you all for taking the time to help me make the right decision in this predicament. Based on all of your comments and the fact that I have yet to be emailed a phone number from the seller, I will not be going through with this transaction. I am positive that this is some kind of scam. The form of the email and the fact that he will only accept Western Union is very conspicuous. I think it is disgusting that there are people out there getting ripped off like this and I would really like to do something. Like fly to london and crack this guy in the skull with an Easton... Seriously though, what can be done to stop this scumbag?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.