AVS Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
106 2.35:1 zoomed so it’s like a 116 16:9 image if that makes sense. If I have to do 16:9 it’s a pitiful 90”. Thinking of building a 115 to 120 16:9 screen. But the projector needs to come down from the ceiling a little bit to get more lens shift/angle to have any hopes of filling it. Right now it’s flush mounted so I need a extension tube.

Rs420 is worth ~1700. Well let’s just say I could list it for that and I feel it would sell pretty quick.

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,424 Posts
106 2.35:1 zoomed so it’s like a 116 16:9 image if that makes sense. If I have to do 16:9 it’s a pitiful 90”. Thinking of building a 115 to 120 16:9 screen. But the projector needs to come down from the ceiling a little bit to get more lens shift/angle to have any hopes of filling it. Right now it’s flush mounted so I need a extension tube.

Rs420 is worth ~1700. Well let’s just say I could list it for that and I feel it would sell pretty quick.
On my RS4910, which is the same chassis and bulb as that RS45, I got about 1500 hours per bulb before it got too dim to enjoy. I used it on low lamp the whole time and usually had to switch to high lamp around 1000 hours and then finished out between 1500-1800 and needed a new lamp. The RS500 I had, the bulb (same bulb you have in your RS420) was still on low at 3000 hours and going strong before I sold it.

I guess you can test this. Put your rs420 on low lamp and then move the iris to around -10 and see if you're happy with that light output. That should be around what the light output would be on low lamp on the RS45 at iris fully open.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
So I’m about to watch gone baby gone and checked what you said. In my current mode I’m on low lamp and iris at -9, been that way since day one and there are still scenes that blind me lol. I’m at those settings because they were recommended in the rs420 thread. There are different recommendations for 4K hdr stuff of course.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Do you all think the JVC 4910U with 1,400 on the bulb is worth it today for $800+shipping+PayPal fees? Seems like a good deal to me just wanted to check here.
Yes, that's a good deal as long as the projector has no issues. Even with a new lamp you should only be a little over $1K all in.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I think I decided to go with a newer and still in production Sony 45ES with the same amount of lamp hours for $975. Thoughts on that?
Not really in the same league. I would get the JVC hands down, but it's your money. The Sony is a slightly updated model from the 40es produced around the same time as the JVC for an MSRP of about $2.5k, the JVC retailed for $5k.

·
Bass and Hi-Fi Enthusiast
3,173 Posts
Not really in the same league. I would get the JVC hands down, but it's your money. The Sony is a slightly updated model from the 40es produced around the same time as the JVC for an MSRP of about $2.5k, the JVC retailed for $5k.

I had a really tough time on the choice but from everything I read the JVC had some nice features like machine focus and lens shift while the Sony 45ES was manual. The JVC has more zoom at 2:1 vs 1.6:1 in the Sony. However the lumens, lamp life, and contrast ratio were better in the Sony and both being LCoS I thought that meant I’ll get a better overall picture from the Sony.

·
Registered
3,917 Posts
I had a really tough time on the choice but from everything I read the JVC had some nice features like machine focus and lens shift while the Sony 45ES was manual. The JVC has more zoom at 2:1 vs 1.6:1 in the Sony. However the lumens, lamp life, and contrast ratio were better in the Sony and both being LCoS I thought that meant I’ll get a better overall picture from the Sony.
The Sony does not have better contrast. The JVC will offer a better image, as long as the lamp holds up.

How many hours a year do you watch movies on the projector?

·
3,173 Posts
It’s meant for my father in law in his man cave. I think he uses it as a daily tv/movie/sports center of entertainment for the house. He had an Optoma ML500 now (which both of these would be large upgrades for) and I think he puts about 1,500 - 2,000 hours a year on that.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
It’s meant for my father in law in his man cave. I think he uses it as a daily tv/movie/sports center of entertainment for the house. He had an Optoma ML500 now (which both of these would be large upgrades for) and I think he puts about 1,500 - 2,000 hours a year on that.
This is more complicated then what you first asked. The Optoma ML500 is a very bright low contrast projector, actually a data grade projector, designed for office type presentations. The Sony/JVC projectors are true Home Theater class projectors optimized for dedicated fully light controlled theaters. If your Father in law's room has any ambient light issues, white reflective surfaces like a white ceiling or a very large screen, the Sony/JVC might be a bad choice all together. I think light output from either of these is about the same, as is lamp life but contrast goes to the JVC by a significant amount. The JVC will accept 4K with eshift although not HDCP 2.2 complaint (there are ways around this to show copy protected 4K content if your savvy enough). If the room is less then ideal where contrast is no longer the most significant part of the equation a brighter projector may be much more desirable. Epson 3700 for 1080p, or an older 4000 series for 4K might be a better choice for the budget your quoting. For a few $100 more the refurbished Epson 5040 with full warranty is a heck of a bargain. Buying used with no warranty is always a big gamble.

Reactions: noob00224

·
3,173 Posts
This is more complicated then what you first asked. The Optoma ML500 is a very bright low contrast projector, actually a data grade projector, designed for office type presentations. The Sony/JVC projectors are true Home Theater class projectors optimized for dedicated fully light controlled theaters. If your Father in law's room has any ambient light issues, white reflective surfaces like a white ceiling or a very large screen, the Sony/JVC might be a bad choice all together. I think light output from either of these is about the same, as is lamp life but contrast goes to the JVC by a significant amount. The JVC will accept 4K with eshift although not HDCP 2.2 complaint (there are ways around this to show copy protected 4K content if your savvy enough). If the room is less then ideal where contrast is no longer the most significant part of the equation a brighter projector may be much more desirable. Epson 3700 for 1080p, or an older 4000 series for 4K might be a better choice for the budget your quoting. For a few $100 more the refurbished Epson 5040 with full warranty is a heck of a bargain. Buying used with no warranty is always a big gamble.

Thanks for that info. The room actually is light controlled and the screen size is 89” diagonal 16:9 at a 10’ viewing distance. It’s a drop ceiling but the tiles and tracks have been painted flat black. The walls are dark as well. The “screen” is silver screen painted drywall with black trim and felt on the top and bottom to give the 16:9 aspect ratio. From what I’ve read and what you said I think either projector would be good here and maybe the JVC would have been the better choice but I think the Sony will look nice as well.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
So the rs45 showed up, easy enough to switch out with my rs420. I ordered a replacement bulb for $71 and that did not fit the housing (the connections were different), so I ordered a cheap bulb with housing off amazon for $50 that a member said worked, when it showed up I realized the $71 phillips OEM bulb would fit into it so I threw that in. Got it up and running and brightness is NOT a problem, atleast for right now. Black levels are a bit worse but acceptable. My eyes can just barely pick up the black bars on the bottom of the screen, on the space scenes, since I zoom to fill a 2.35:1 screen. Most noticable is when a movie is starting I am not left in complete black darkness unable to see my hand in front of my face. Once Images come up its less noticeable. Currently settings got put to -12 for the aperature, -1 for brightness, gamma is custom 2 at 2.6. Color is 6000k. It looks decent. Makes me wonder about the rs46 though, that probably wouldve been PERFECT for me since it has better blacks. Currently its acceptable, It honestly reminds me more of a commercial theater projector where the rs420 reminded me of a really really good TV with liquidy blacks. Ill give it a shot for awhile!

BTW, the most noticeable things are the black levels, on a scene where its not space or blackness its look pretty much the same. Its when you get into a scene where its space or something that there is a noticable difference.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #34 (Edited)
Here’s 2 pictures from gone in 60 seconds. Screen looks a little gray until an image shows up. But the black levels do well with detail between blacks and greys. The beginning of Avengers infinity wars looked great, I used to see a staticy flash in the lower right hand corner of the screen and this projector finally showed that this is light reflecting off of shrapnel from a ship! My mind was blown to actually see this instead of a weird flicker.

Attachments

21 - 34 of 34 Posts