AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have the Samsungs rolling out, the Sonys and Toshibas right around the corner....so why hasnt JVC, who supposedly has a wonderful looking 1080p LCOS set, said anything? Are they not coming out this quarter? Are they working out the bugs? Does anyone know?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I heard the new models coming out here in a month or so would do 1080P and would be like 95% of that 13K sony for less than half the price. It seems to be staying under the radar though and don't know why.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Well, its more an issue of who starts spewing rumors here on the board and what guys post here that have legit connections.

There tends to be a HEAVY Samsung and Sony population on these boards...

All reports from those who saw them at CES said they were a knockout. Aesthetically, they should look exactly like the 720p models.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFreek
Well, its more an issue of who starts spewing rumors here on the board and what guys post here that have legit connections.

There tends to be a HEAVY Samsung and Sony population on these boards...

All reports from those who saw them at CES said they were a knockout. Aesthetically, they should look exactly like the 720p models.
We should be hearing something about the new JVC 1080P's within a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I hope so, since my f/r has been w/o a TV for 2 months, ever since the Pioneer Elite bit the dust.

I hope that anyone that has news can post here asap.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Now that they are going to be in full-production this month (August) in producing the D-ILA chip I wonder if JVC will be able to get the sets out to the retailers this fall??? I am anxious to see one in real-life.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I believe the only official word from JVC to date is that they will be available "late fall."

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
What really impresses me about this technology is how scalable it is. Look how their new chip is much smaller than their current one yet has twice the resolution.

It reminds me of the die shrinks in microprocessors and it always leads to lower price down the road as the can get more chips per wafer. Basically once the process of the shink is achieved prices start to fall later on. :D

·
Registered
914 Posts
Anyone know if the Dila's will have a better vertical viewing angle than DLP? I noticed the JVC is much brighter, but haven't been able to do a vertical-angle comparision. The DLP's image falls right off the table pretty quickly, and I'm an "over the fireplace" guy.

Thanx for any input, Joel

·
Registered
589 Posts
The 61 and 70 should be available, in the USA, early September:D

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895
Anyone know if the Dila's will have a better vertical viewing angle than DLP? I noticed the JVC is much brighter, but haven't been able to do a vertical-angle comparision. The DLP's image falls right off the table pretty quickly, and I'm an "over the fireplace" guy.

"Over the Fireplace" will not do justice to any microdisplay. Poor choice. If you insist ojn this placement, Plasma is your best option....

·
Registered
615 Posts
Or you just need to tilt your "over the fireplace" TV slightly forward to put your viewing position back in the TV's sweetspot. Of course you should secure it at the back for safety reasons.

Ken

·
Registered
347 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by notreally
The 61 and 70 should be available, in the USA, early September:D
As I was reading the articles in this month's Playboy, I noticed an ad for JVC's new 1080p set. In that ad, JVC is claiming that the set will be available in "September 2005."

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guamster
As I was reading the articles in this month's Playboy, I noticed an ad for JVC's new 1080p set. In that ad, JVC is claiming that the set will be available in "September 2005."
Any chance you can scan that sucker in and post it?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbailey895

The horizontal angle is much better on the D'ILA than all other microdisplays I have seen. The image is bright and crisp almost all the way to 180 degrees...I have never really checked the vertical, but would assume it would be just as good.

But man, you'll never be able to hang one of these things over a fireplace unless you have a large cutout - still got 15" of depth to deal with.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Quote:
Heck, just go ahead and scan the whole magazine. I'd like to read some of those "articles" too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Quote:
The magazine is at home. I will see what I can do tonight when I get home from work...

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
The horizontal angle is much better on the D'ILA than all other microdisplays I have seen. The image is bright and crisp almost all the way to 180 degrees...I have never really checked the vertical, but would assume it would be just as good.
If your assumption is right then there is a very big news story coming soon, or a little longer than soon. :eek:

·
Registered
914 Posts
Actually, I made a media center around the fireplace, and the "mantle" is actually a 83" wide by 21" deep shelf. The bad part is that its prox 50" off the ground. My viewing sweet spot is 15" back, so the distance reduces the angle somewhat, but I haven't had the balls to buy a DLP to check. (of course, the plasma works fine, but its only a 50!)

I actually made some guys at Costco life a 61 JVC off the floor, and I laid on the floor, and it was viewable but did have some degredation, but not as bad as the Sammy's. I guess I'll try to be patient a little longer. . .

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.