AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
considering ordering a screen 12'X5' from AVS - which would be the best screen for this projector - totally dedicated HT with throw distance of 21'

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
I am in the same boat you are.

I am considering the same a PJ (as well as a G15), I am going with a 16:9 screen and the Stewart Horizontal Electri-mask. Screen is 66 X 118 and will mask to 2.40.

My screen will be perforated.

My throw will be 28 ft.

Any suggestions for me, too, would be appreciated!

Jeff

·
Registered
261 Posts
Jeff,

I am in the same boat. Somehow I believe the answer will be the Firehawk.

One minor hitch though, microperf is not available and that is a deal killer for me.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
Ditto on the non-perf Firehawk - dealer killer here, too!

Jeff

I wonder why they can't perf it??

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Hey guys.

The Firehawk actually has tiny particles of metal woven in. They are a bit afraid that these particles might dull or break off pins in the perf machines. They have to replace the pins about once a year, so towards the end of the life they were going to attempt it and see how it turns out. The pins cost a bunch (and I mean a bunch!) so it wasn't a gamble that they were willing to jump right off into.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
B.G. and Jeff,

With either a 1000 lumen G150CL, or a 1500 lumen G15 that is calibrated - which brings the output down to about 1000 lumens -

your luminosity in ft-lamberts for the screen sizes you've chosen are in the mid-teens - a little low.

The projector could indeed use the help of the gain from the Firehawk. However, that does mean giving up a the microperf.

Can you possibly drop your screen size to about 48 square feet? In this case you can use a perforated Grayhawk. I

think you'll be happier with the smaller but brighter image.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
602 Posts
Jeff & B.J.

I have a similar setup to what you are planning, except my screen is not microperfed. The D-ILA projector, even after calibration, will provide all the brightness you could want with the GrayHawk material. I really don’t think you need the FireHawk material for any added brightness. Jeff I have about 27 feet of throw so 28 feet of throw should be fine with this setup. B.J. I don't remember the exact throw distance calculations but I think 21 feet might be a little short for a 12 feet wide screen.

Earl

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Earl,

You are correct about the throw.

B.J, - a 12 foot screen at 21 feet would give you a throw ratio of 21'/12' = 1.75

The zoom on the G15 can only go down to 1.9 [ JVC says 2.1 ]

and the M2920 is probably the same.

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

·
Registered
835 Posts
B.G.

For that size of screen at that throw distance you would definitely want to consider an ISCO anamorphic lens, it will expand you image to allow you to fit such a large screen with the throw distance you have. It will also give you enough brightness to move to a micro-perf Greyhawk with good ft-lambert levels. If I remember correctly Dean M. was shooting onto a 15' wide microperf screen with a G15+ISCO and had good results. You should be fine at 12' wide if you have an ISCO.

Regards,

Kam Fung

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Depending on your time frame, there should be a solution to your question, hopefully in the next couple of months. It involves a perfed gray screen with a decent gain to it.

Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.