Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
also posted in the screen section -

considering ordering a screen 12'X5' from AVS - which would be the best screen for this projector - totally dedicated HT with throw distance of 21'

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Hoo Wee! That's a big one.

I'd look into a Firehawk for a twelve footer...or maybe even a greater than unity gain screen (1.3 gain white, perhaps). Also, unless you've got the masking happenin' some other way, you're going to want electronic masking built in.

I'd have to recommend a Stewart Electromask 1.3 gain white off the top of my head.

Man, that's going to be one awesome home theater! A G150CL and a 12 foot screen. You really need to do searches for a forum member here named "Dean McManus", who has about the only system similar to yours around. I believe that he has a G15 and a 12 foot wide screen, or close to it.

Mark

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
No (per the Stewart website).

JEff

·
Registered
433 Posts
B.G.,

I'm in the process of constructing my theater which will feature a calibrated G15 (comparable to the G150CLZ) plus ISCO imaging on a 14 foot wide 16:9 microperf (of course). Although I started out thinking about a flat Firehawk, after discussions on this forum with Mr. Wigggles and followup with Stewart, I will be installing a slightly curved -- 6" from center to edge -- Stewart screen with a "Platinum" surface. This screen has a hypothetical image brightness of 36 fL according to Stewart, but I don't know what projector output was assumed. I also don't know the gain of a Platinum surface, but I assume it's about 2.

You may be OK with the Firehawk, but I would strongly suggest talking directly with Stewart rather than relying completely on dealer or forum opinions.

·
Registered
27,143 Posts
How is the curve acheived? 14 foot ! Wow!!!!!!

How big is your room? It must be gigantic!

I'll be using a 16:9 perforated screen with Panamorph and DILA. I am looking at the G150 and G15 (calibrated, of course). My room is 17.5 x 30 x 9.5 (three rows of four).

·
Registered
433 Posts
Stewart achieves the curve; I don't. It's a pre-formed aluminum frame to which the microperf is attached. This size is obviously an experiment that I hope is not a mistake. It's actually 15' from edge to edge, but the screen area is 7'7'' X 14'.

I started with a two-story room 25' X 35'. By the time other A/V requirements were met and the room-within-a-room was constructed, the effective interior dimensions dropped a few feet in the long direction. The ceiling was also lowered to 13' so I could have the joy of installing a fiber optic starfield. :( Right now, all I see are burning dollar bills since this was definitely not a DIY project. Maybe I'll be able to watch a movie some day.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by milori

Man, that's going to be one awesome home theater! A G150CL and a 12 foot screen. You really need to do searches for a forum member here named "Dean McManus",
Correction - it's "Dean McManis"

Dr. Gregory Greenman

Physicist

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.