AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought the JVC 30000 over the internet. I wanted to set it up as soon as possible (to make sure it didn't have the defects mentioned in other threads on this forum), but my home theater was down for some upgrades. In the meantime, I asked my local installer to plug it into the system in his showroom so we could see how it looked.

The picture from the JVC was beautiful beyond description. Now, I'm accustomed to a pretty good picture--I have a Vidikron Vision One, and run a DSS hi-def feed through a Faroudja 5000 to convert the 1080i to 1080p. I've been known to watch thoroughly pedestrian program material for hours (you know, PBS programs on insects, travel shows on HDNet), just because I'm mesmerized by the beautiful pictures. The picture from the JVC 30000, run directly into a Christie 3-chip DLP projector and shown on a 12' wide screen, surpassed anything I have seen in my home theater (well, except for the blacks, but that's a projector issue). The material in the JVC demo tape is deadly dull, but gorgeous. The Motley Crue and Yes vidoes also looked great, although they do not have the same breathtaking colors as the demo tape. My installer asked if I could let him keep the JVC a few weeks for client demo purposes, while he ordered one for himself. He said he would be happy not to be limited to whatever happened to be on HDNet for hi-def program demonstration material.

I can't wait till the D Theater tapes hit the market!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I agree completely. Not only was I mesmerized with VHS at its arrival, I was early into LaserDisc (as a succesful retailer for many years), first to shun DVD then approve somewhat reluctantly upon it's release.

The output of the JVC 30k, even downconverted to 480i, is far better than any LD, DVD or anything I have ever had. If I had a $60k DigiBeta hooked up, I'm sure it would compare.

Let us not forget, as someone has previously stated, that D-5 masters (which cost $150 for the media and $980 to dupe) are on TAPE.

The comparison of D-5 and D-Theater suggests there is very little perceptible difference in picture quality. Now very few of us have seen a D-5 in all it's glory, but I assure you that you would be astounded.

We can wait 2-3 (if that) years for HD-DVD. I love discs, they are reasonably durable. LaserDiscs I still have. MiniDV is pretty neat. Tape is definitely subject to wear and tear. TO have HD quality movies NOW, I will gladly supplement my home theater with a unit which also will play back those old tapes (now out of print) in better quality than any VCR I've ever seen.

For me, this was a no-brainer, just as LaserDisc was, and then DVD. For the average consumer, it's a no-go. The studios admitted they are not targeting the average, but the high-end afficionado. This technology will help set the standards of what is to come for our HD viewing pleasure.

I will be attending the D-Theater dealy and will certainly ask all the right questions and hopefully get some answers.

If anyone who can't attend has questions they would like answered by the studio execs and technical experts at the event, feel free to post them here or pm me. I am considering working on a site revolving around this possible new phenomenon (maybe only in my mind).

Many people don't really care about 'quality.' If you're not one of those people, this development certainly deserves some looking into. It's pretty cool, and that's really what matters.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I guess my big question, which might have been asked elsewhere, is do they expect to release films of the "non Blockbuster" variety? T2 is okay, I guess, and U-571 is good, but I'm also interested in seeing some films that are not effects laden.

I expect to see a tremendous improvement in PQ on a Sony 10HT, even on a non-Grayhawk Stewart screen. Now, if I only had a Vidikron...

·
Registered
114 Posts
'If anyone who can't attend has questions they would like answered by the studio execs and technical experts at the event, feel free to post them here or pm me.'

I'm from Germany and can't attend, but I'm very excited about D-Theater.

My question for the studios would be about the roadmap of titles. Which movies and when will they release?

I'd ask JVC when they will release the next D-Theater recorder.

Will other studios follow? Are there negotiations?

Will there be TV-series like Enterprise (or others) on D-Theater? (I guess it's HDTV?)

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
Check the widescreenreview.com website- they also have a dedicated d-theater site (cant remember the url offhand, something like dtheaterguide.com)...they should be a fairly reliable source of release info...

TM

·
Registered
155 Posts
 http://www.dvhsmovieguide.com

I'm so ready for one but would like to demo it on my (lowly) WS65807 before I invest. Anyone in SoCal wanna bring one over to my house for a demo? ;)

I'll be going to the WSR Movie Festival on 6/9 at 2-5 pm. I'll ask questions as well. Maybe wcp45 can be our point man since I'm terribly forgetful.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I saw the JVC 30K demo tape today connected to a Pioneer 5030HD Plasma. It was without a doubt the best picture by far that I have ever seen. They had it in a room that also had the Sharp 9000 DLP conected to HBO-HD.

Although the picture looked detailed and accurate, the comparison against the Pioneer was night and day. I had been all set to take the plunge for a high-end DLP soon, but today's demo really opened my eye's towards the Plasma. It was definitely "WOW" Home Theater!

Ed Betty

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AllenD,

I plan to be at the 9-12 session on 6/9. Maybe among the three of us (you, Gravy, and me) we'll get answers to half of the questions posed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.