AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized this has never been brought up as far as I know, but I was hoping someone here might have some info.

I have the deck and have successfully done just about everything I would want to with a PC, thanks to various users of this forum. I also have a Mac and was wondering if anyone ever attempted or suggested creating JVC tape devices drivers for Mac OS X.

The Mac environment currently has several good HD solutions, but no support for D-VHS through the OS like WinXP has. I had the opportunity talk to someone from Apple about this today by random chance. He said that it would be difficult. Well I knew that. He also said getting Final Cut Pro support would be next to impossible. OK, I can deal with that. This is the kind of challenge I like!

We have firewire all around. It is one common component between the two systems. I believe it could be possible to send and receive steams, and could possibly open up a whole new usability for this technology.

If anyone has or knows those who have knowledge in OS X driver creation, please post or PM me. It would be great to include our Mac friends in this D-VHS / HD thing we find so compelling. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I thought that the JVC supported talking DV (dubbing to/from camcorders). It it does, then FCP should see it as a big camcorder.

--Rick

·
Registered
800 Posts
The 30000U will convert DV (presented on its 1394 input) to MPEG2, but will not convert in the other direction.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've had no problem with transferring DV to the deck, I would like to send streams of raw data both ways. That seems a little more difficult!

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
As Ron has said, the JVC only has a DV decoder (which means you can send DV to the deck) but no DV encoder (which means you cannot send DV from the deck). DV is not the JVC's native format, MPEG2 is as that's what ends up on tape. So JVC can convert from DV to MPEG2 in order to record to tape, but during playback all you can get is MPEG2.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct, and I knew that long before I got the deck. What I want is Dstream / Graphedit / D-VHS Tool bla bla bla for the Mac. I want to capture transport streams and send them back to the deck using 1394. It is possible, I'm sure of it. Getting some at Apple or whoever to write the driver (since I wouldn't consider myself a programmer), may not be too easy.

I suppose I could pursue it with Apple, but it may be hard to convince that there is any common usability for deading with HD mpeg-2 [email protected] video, since Final Cut Pro won't know what it is anyways.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.