AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been playing some HIPIX files through the JVC via the component ouputs to a 1080i capable display. I am seeing a lot of dot crawl, jaggies and artifacts with all source material. This includes the D-Theater demo tape. Are others seeing this problem? It looks quite bad compared to the HIPIX or Dish 6000 output.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi,

I see no such artifacts/anamolies here on the component outputs. I use the 30k and its component outs to display my 4DTV satellite SD content to my XBR2. The picture is incredible and makes SD viewing more than tolerable. On some material it looks as good as a quality 1080i conversion of film, such as used on HBO and Showtime for most of their HD content. I use Firewire for all DVHS playback. I have not seen any artifacts on any of the three D-Theater tapes I have. I have watched them through the component outs, but I prefer the FW as the colors are just more vibrant. Also viewing through FW has one less D/A conversion. Hope this helps! Good Luck!

Ray

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. My comments are strictly regarding 1080i source material displayed using the component outputs of the JVC to 1080i capable display. The demo Dtheater tape looks quite bad compared to a DISH 6000 or the HIPIX. I recorded some of the Tonight show last night and played it back through the JVC. There was a significant difference between the HIPIX/DISH 6000 and JVC output. The JVC is definitely dark and has color issues but the artifacts on the JVC are unacceptable and unbearable to watch.

Has no one else noticed this or do I have a defective unit?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've viewed the D-Theater demo tape on a variety of different setups and I've seen jaggies and edge enhancement, but no dot crawl. I was using the component output of either a 30k or a 30kU, and displaying on the new Fujitsu 50" plasma, the Pioneer 505HD, and the JVC G11 D-ila. Edge enhancement was very noticeable on the Fujitsu.

The only situation where I didn't use the JVC decoder/component output was with a Sony KD57XBR2. In that case the image was very soft, so other artifacts weren't very noticeable.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I now understand your question about only 1080i, sorry. ;) I use a 34" Direct View Sony and this may be why I am seeing no jagged edges, dot crawl, or edge enhancement artifacts (soft is not in the visual experience here). I just tested all three D-Theater tapes for you and all look the best of any 1080i content I have seen (via component or firewire). The temple roof lines are clear and precise on the demo tape. The bamboo has clean snappy transitions of its edges.

I do not get my HD HBO or Showtime from DTV or DN. I get it off of a first generation C-Band transponder and decode it with an HDD 200 decoder. I have had DTV here and my C-Band digital HD content is noticably brighter and more 3D like than the DSB HD signals. The 30k D-Theater content beats this, and is the best I have seen to date. The April WSR article echo's my results as well. Maybe RPTV's and their larger screens show these anamolies to a greater extent? I just calls em' as I sees em'! :D Maybe h2ofun (Dave) would be so kind as to run the tests for you also.

Ray

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone seen problems with the JVC upconverting 720P->1080i and outputting via the component outputs? My unit can't seem to upconvert properly when fed a 720P source via Dstream. I get a couple of flashes at the beginning of the transfer but that is it. The display I'm currently using is 1080i only.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I have checked both 1080i and 720p>1080i over both FW>DTC-100 and the JVC component outputs > KD RGBHV converter and have not seen any artifacts other than normal interlace (very minor) issues. I am viewing through a Dwin HDP-500 and a 87" x 49" Stewart 1.8 gain screen. The only difference I see between the DTC-100 and JVC component outputs are a slight color saturation difference and a slight color temperature shift, other than this the video is pristine. I also have occassional dropouts as I haven't had my unit upgraded yet.

Your cables, equipment or display may be picking up or inducing noise into your video.

Unfortunately I can't check the three D Theater tapes I have right now as my JVC will NOT play them :-(

Don

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fireball,

I was just going to ask that, is your display's 1080i component input calibrated with 1080i test patterns? If not that could explain an awful lot.

Ray Cathode,

No offense at all but I had to chuckle on your comment that your Sony looks anything but soft playing the DTheater tapes. I'm sure they look sharper than anything you or I have seen on any consumer CRT direct view including my own 34" Sharp. But our sets are too small with too coarse a "pixel" structure to resolve all the goodies allegedly on these tapes; they are effectively low pass filters and thus the very definition of "soft" relative to the detail in the source. I'm guessing Fireball may be working with a bigger and more highly resolving image which is where the action is with these tapes.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was using the same component input as I use to use for a progressive scan DVD player. That really shouldn't have an effect on the jaggies, edge enhancments, etc. The color issue most definetly. If I purchase a transcoder, I can try it on my CRT projector but I was looking for additional input regarding the artifact issues before purchasing one.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Hi Den!

No offense intended or taken. In today's world, with all of its stresses and problems, I am happy to have been a source of levity! :D

I do understand the point you made. Actually I have heard of three demo's of the 30k on large FP systems, and the reviews were nothing less than stunning. YMMV. One day I will buy one of those systems, or possibly some of the newer technology coming down the pike. For now, my Sony is the best toy I have ever owned. My family truly finds it indespensible!

My Sony has no video 5 progressive problem of switching video modes as many have reported, and it is an early production KD-34XBR2. My 30k has no playback or record glitches reported by many, and it has the first gen firmware. Maybe I'm just lucky, but it would be the first time in 47 years that would be the case. :D I think firmware, head alignment, tapes used, power purity, equipment configuration etc etc, play into it also. Maybe some units have problems, others do not. It is very confusing. Bottom line, keep smiling, it is getting better!

Ray

·
Registered
271 Posts
Fireball - most displays will have separate memories for different scan rates on the same physical connector. This is why I said calibrate with 1080i component patterns, I still think you need to shore up there or as you suggest try transcoding to the "known" reference, your RGBHV input.

Ray, I envy you as early adopter on the 30K, I have not dared. Would be neat to amass a library of tapes, then watch them all anew when we would upgrade our displays!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.