AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a JVC 30K off ebay, so I have no idea how this unit was used or maintained. I am pretty sure it was a floor model at a store at one point.

Anyway, I have my SA4200HD hooked up via firewire and I can record SD channels like channel 2 (over firewire), but I cannot record any HD material, not even streamed from my PC. The SD material plays back fine. The HD material shows HEAVY pixelation, or no picture at all.

Can this be dirty heads? Seems odd to me that SD would be fine, and HD doesn't work at all.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelosi
I just got a JVC 30K off ebay, so I have no idea how this unit was used or maintained. I am pretty sure it was a floor model at a store at one point.

Anyway, I have my SA4200HD hooked up via firewire and I can record SD channels like channel 2 (over firewire), but I cannot record any HD material, not even streamed from my PC. The SD material plays back fine. The HD material shows HEAVY pixelation, or no picture at all.

Can this be dirty heads? Seems odd to me that SD would be fine, and HD doesn't work at all.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,
I don't think it is a dirty head problem. Try contacting JVC to see if that specific VCR has had the firmware upgrade. If not, JVC should still provide that free of charge other than shipping to their facility. Marek at 973-317-5000, ext. 5582 is the person I would start with. It may be you will have problems after the firmware upgrade. Software issues, 5C problems and bad heads are also other possibilities for some of the problems you describe. The heads do require frequent cleaning, I clean mine about every 100 hours of use. The Sony T-25CLD is a good head cleaner to use.

Chris

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Gerhard
I don't think it is a dirty head problem. Try contacting JVC to see if that specific VCR has had the firmware upgrade. If not, JVC should still provide that free of charge other than shipping to their facility. Marek at 973-317-5000, ext. 5582 is the person I would start with. It may be you will have problems after the firmware upgrade. Software issues, 5C problems and bad heads are also other possibilities for some of the problems you describe. The heads do require frequent cleaning, I clean mine about every 100 hours of use. The Sony T-25CLD is a good head cleaner to use.

Chris
Chris,

Thanks for the response. I don't think it's a 5C problem since the results from my PC and the SA4200HD are identical. I ordered the Sony T-25CLD as you suggested. In the mean time I tried some head cleaners available at Circuit City, and as expected they did not help.

I sometimes see a message that says:

WAIT A MINUTE

CALIBRATING. . . (201)

The manual states that this means:

Normal playback is being prevented by mosaic noise, etc.

Wait while the VCR calibrates itself so that it can output a normal image.

Does this shed any more light on the the subject? Also, is there a firmware update history anywhere? How can I tell if I need it or not? I am going to call the guy on Monday, but I want to do some research of my own now.

Thanks again,

·
Registered
357 Posts
This probably falls in the category of dumb question, but did you use the cleaning tape in record mode? Took me a few minutes to realize playback wasn't cleaning my recording heads (ok, I was tired that night), and once I took care of recording my 40K worked perfectly again.

However, does sound like it might be another issue for you. Let us know what JVC says.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Your STB box might be 5C copy protect enabled. Also, if you are using S-VHS tapes are you pushing the D-VHS button?

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by old64mb
This probably falls in the category of dumb question, but did you use the cleaning tape in record mode? Took me a few minutes to realize playback wasn't cleaning my recording heads (ok, I was tired that night), and once I took care of recording my 40K worked perfectly again.

However, does sound like it might be another issue for you. Let us know what JVC says.
I did use the wet cleaner in record mode. The dry cleaner I had is only play mode. I ordered the Sony one though.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by shugazer9
Your STB box might be 5C copy protect enabled. Also, if you are using S-VHS tapes are you pushing the D-VHS button?
It seemed like that to me as well, but the fact that the ts files streamed from my pc act in the same manner is what makes me think it is notmy stb. I also checked with another cablevision customer before I purchased the 30K to make sure that cablevision isn't blocking anything. Maybe they are in my area though.

I am using Maxell DF300 DVHS tapes.

I have cablevision of Raritan Valley.

Thanks,

·
Registered
357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelosi
I did use the wet cleaner in record mode. The dry cleaner I had is only play mode. I ordered the Sony one though
Just FYI, 'only' play mode tapes can be gotten around by simply taping over the little square at the front of the tape - I don't like wet cleaners and use my Scotch dry tape in a way it probably wasn't planned, but seems to work fine.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by old64mb
Just FYI, 'only' play mode tapes can be gotten around by simply taping over the little square at the front of the tape - I don't like wet cleaners and use my Scotch dry tape in a way it probably wasn't planned, but seems to work fine.
Thanks for the tip. I tried it but unfortunately I had no luck :(

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
I've had three 30Ks for many years now -- they all see many hours of service daily and I noticed ther other day on my primary playback one some very uncharacteristic, pretty steadily recurring block noise on playback. On a whim I thought it might be time to open up the JVC cleaning tape to see what that might do. A few seconds in did the trick, so I will definitely keep this cleaning tape -- I may have to use it in another five years or so, or possibly sooner on one of my other 30Ks.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I left my JVC 30K alone for a whole day, and then I got the urge to frustrate myself some more.

Well, I actually was able to make several successful recordings off both the cable and the PC.

At first I had mixed results. sometimes it would work, sometimes it wouldn't. Now I have made several successful in a row.

I used the wet cleaner one more time last night b4 I went to bed, and hadn't tested it since. Maybe it did the trick.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Recorded all of shrek 2 last night. Came out perfect. Went to tape something today, now nothing works... again....

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I couldn't get this thing working. I am sending it back. I purchased a 40K that is gonna arive on friday. Thanks everyone for your help.

·
Registered
4,554 Posts
Sorry it went that way for you, some of the units are no doubt quirky and/or downright defective bad lemons -- I would not put myself through the endless sufferings some on this forum have endured. I have however found my units to be absolutely reliable and a great joy, but had I experienced your variable functionality in the early going, no question I would have done the same -- good luck with the new unit!

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych
Sorry it went that way for you, some of the units are no doubt quirky and/or downright defective bad lemons -- I would not put myself through the endless sufferings some on this forum have endured. I have however found my units to be absolutely reliable and a great joy, but had I experienced your variable functionality in the early going, no question I would have done the same -- good luck with the new unit!
Thanks a lot. That's what I get for trying to save a couple bucks. I should have purchased it new.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You think I would have learned my lesson ... I purchased an open box 40K from Vaans.com for $50 less than a brand new. The description said something to the effect of "Perfect working condition". I got it today and it still had the last poor saps dvhs taps stuck inside it! I am sending it back and getting a brand new one this time. If there is one thing I am learning it's that this hobby is the same as any other one. To get the good stuff, you gotta shell out the bucks!

·
Registered
357 Posts
Think of it this way. You can get a new 40K for $350 or so. Once you get the archive-HD-movie bug, you'll be spending at least as much on tapes. I'm on tape #80 now which means at an average cost of something like $5 per tape (actually a bit more as I bought a whole bunch of 3 hr SVHS tapes at closeout for future use) I've already spent more on the media than I have the recorder!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.