AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The firewire card that i am considering buying for this unit is the Adaptec 3400(?) and it comes with a 6 pin to 6 pin cable. Will this work?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
You just get a cable with 4 on one end and 6 the other. Which can be long or a short adapter.. Will work fine after this.

dave

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave!

But, are you saying then that the JVC 30K takes a 4 pin firewire connector?

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Dave- Not all VCR's take the 4 pin. Mine takes a 6 pin but I'm talking about DVCAM. I don't believe there is a practice on this and you just have to look and see on each machine.

·
Registered
3,685 Posts
I agree. My DV decks take 4 pin. Wish it did 6. Was just making the comment that most stuff work with adapters. I assume you can use a 4 to 6 pin adapter to your DVcam unit?

dave

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
Yeah no problema.

The 6 pin just carry power in addition to signal, similar to the USB, right?

Our PD100 DVCAM uses 4 pin and the DSR20 uses 6 pin 1394. The computers and analog to digital converters use 6 pin. The Sony Vaio notebooks use 4 pin and the Vaio Desktop uses 6 pin in the rear and 4 pin in the front. Anything goes and the way I do is have an adapter and a 6x6 and a 4x4 on had to cover everything. The bigger DVCAM stuff DSR60 and up is only SDI.

·
Banned
2,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Guys!

So, it looks like I'll need a 6 to 4 pin adapter to connect my computer(6pin) firewire to the JVC DVHS unit. Right?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.