AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
D-VHS recorders, including JVC30K are still not available in my area. Two hours away is Buffalo where BestBuy and other stores offer JVC30K. To save me from 4 hour ride, can someone please answer following questions:

What kind of demonstration programming is generally available in stores that carry JVC30K in your area? For example, are they playing back regular VHS tape, or do they have some D-VHS content to showcase?

Are sales people generally able to show recording and playback of HD content in the store? Have they been able to show the difference between HD and SD quality?

(Buffalo area readers only) Any tips on the best store(s), availability and pricing in your area?

Thanks,

Alex

·
Registered
33,553 Posts
I was just in Harvey Electronics in N.Y., a high end audio/video chain, and saw the JVC via a Sharp DLP projector. They were showing the demo tape that comes with the JVC. It was pretty amazing stuff. If most stores demo'd their HDTVs using material and equipment like this (the JVC), HD would be moving alot quicker than it is now.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
AlexG,

Since you are in Canada I am pretty sure that JVC does not sell 30K there. There is no OTA HDTV and no way to record HD even from Canadian satellite services. You have to import it from US.

·
Premium Member
7,235 Posts
At Stereo Exchange in NYC they had the 30k playing the demo tape (japanese gardens and streams) via a Sharp 9000 DLP. It was jaw dropping.

TM

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by CKNA

Since you are in Canada I am pretty sure that JVC does not sell 30K there. There is no OTA HDTV and no way to record HD even from Canadian satellite services. You have to import it from US.
That's right. I can order it online or I can drive to some store across the border to play with it first. For me, major advantage of shopping in store is that you can actually try that device, experiment with recording, playback, options etc. If you just order it online you have to trust that $1499 or $1199 device will be up to your expectations. But I don't know if any store will allow me to do it, so why waste 4 hour drive if JVC 30K is sitting pretty on some shelf without even being plugged in, right?

At least I know that some stores are playing HD demo on JVC 30K. I know I can't expect them to play some Hollywood movies in HD yet, but at least it's not SD stuff.

What I find disappointing is that most stores here have nice HDTV monitors hooked up to DVD players for demonstration. For most people coming in to replace their 10-year-old TV that Terminator 2 DVD picture is stunning, but it really doesn't do justice to HDTV.

Now that I think about it, how can electronics retailers play DVDs that are clearly labeled 'for private home viewing only' in stores? It is not any more legal than to tape that same movie on D-VHS from the OTA HD source and play it back in full HD glory in the store, right? And playing back same movie in HD side-by-side with DVD version would REALLY make a difference and motivate people to invest in HD equipment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AlexG
Now that I think about it, how can electronics retailers play DVDs that are clearly labeled 'for private home viewing only' in stores?
Retailers can always work out agreements with the movie publishers. I've also seen continuous reels of trailers being run in some demos....as if they'd complain about that. The vast majority of HD demos are those silly garden/landscape things, though....not nearly as compelling for most people. I also consider it somewhat deceiving because broadcast HD doesn't look that good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.