Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have had a 30k since the early days, before any D-Theater releases. I have used it extensively for recording and puchased several D-Theater tapes.

I have had no problems, and maybe like one dropout in one movie once.

One important thing to remember is, I've NEVER recorded on an SVHS tape or regular DVHS tape. I have played a handful of regular VHS tapes in the unit. I have only used JVC and Panasonic DVHS tapes for recording.

My initial suspicion is that those who are experiencing severe problems may be using cheap media. Just as the DVD-R market (another infant) has experience widely varying qualities of recordable media.

I would like to hear from those JVC 30k'ers who are recording substantially, and if you are using SVHS tapes. I know they don't cost as much, but I am a firm believer in "You get what you pay for." There is a reason those tapes are higher in cost, and I don't think it's because they can just charge more because they say DVHS.

So who's using what to record?

Steve

·
Registered
858 Posts
The problems has nothing to do with the tapes used. My last one I only used Panasonic and JVC DVHS tapes and it did the same thing as the rest of them. The problem is with the Pinch roller and controll head. The controll head is held in place by a plastic mount which under the high heat inside the unit it changes shape. The pinch roller also has problems with heat and tape residue. The unit goes out of alignment if you use it like I do. I record an avrage of a tape a day.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
The heat generated by this device and it's deleterious effects have been a suspicion of mine for a while. The add on fan unit outside the main housing had to be an after thought by JVC so they must have discovered the heat issues long after the VCR was being manufactured. The tapes come out feeling much warmer than I would expect. Perhaps the cooling of the unit is simply inadequate. Maybe the guy on the CRT forum who keeps his theater at 55 degrees F has better luck.:D

Art

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
Quote:
One important thing to remember is, I've NEVER recorded on an SVHS tape or regular DVHS tape. I have played a handful of regular VHS tapes in the unit. I have only used JVC and Panasonic DVHS tapes for recording.
For God's sake, enough of this ridiculous hypothesis. This deck is designed for use with Analog and Digital tape. VHS, SVHS and DVHS. Read your manual.

And a number of people here have had decks fail after EXCLUSIVE use with DVHS tapes. The problem is due to a flaw in the design of the tape transport and there is simply no way JVC can correct it. It's no different than the trucks that exploded when hit in the sides because of gas tanks that were placed outside the frame. You couldn't "fix" that problem. And JVC won't be able to fix this either. They have been trying for months and failing miserably.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rich M
I'm satisfied with my 2 decks, which I use for Dtheatre playback only.
If you use them for D-Theater only, you are likely to skate through this failure a while longer than most as these virtually inactive machines exert no wear and tear -- at the moment. It is my opinion that you and I are in the same boat since I use mine sparingly, although I use it for playback of HBO and Showtime HD movies as well. Even so, I seriously doubt if I have 50 hours yet and as a result no problems to date. I also make no recordings with my deck. I also use only DVHS tapes (either Maxell or JVC).

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wan't attempting to say that tape quality / type IS the cause, just trying to find out what REALLY is the cause. If JVC knew exactly what the problem was, there would be a fix. Don't ya think?

Just one hypothesis, that's all.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
No, there cannot be a fix, gravy, because it is in the actual "design" of the deck. The tape transport is built in such a way that these problems will always occur eventually.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased my unit back in March. I've only played back Dtheater tapes. Never done any recording. I have noticed over time that the glitch count has increased. I went from 1 or 2 per movie to about 10.

My machine has about 30 hours total playing time.

I have another machine (JVC 9500) that I use for recording and playing back analog VHS. The 9500 was purchased in March 1999 and has done a ton of recording and playback. It's used daily. Never been cleaned and works perfectly.

There is obviously something wrong in the engineering. DVHS is not new, it's been around since 1996. JVC dropped the ball on this one. I hope they make it right.

·
Registered
130 Posts
You asked for opinions.

It is unfortunate that the founding father of VHS, namely Victor Company of Japan, has put this deck on the market before thorough testing.

Yes, I do own a 30k. Have had it for 2 weeks awaiting my projector. After reading all the posts involving this deck, I feel like I'm sitting on a time bomb. But I understood the risks of early adoption before I bought, so don't cry for me.

All I can say is this: After 20+ years of building VHS decks, one would think JVC would be in a position to do it properly. This is, after all, a $1000 VCR. I speculate that if any PRO piece of gear had these problems, JVC would issue a recall. I only hope it is just a matter of time before JVC locates and resolves the problems with these decks. Otherwise, JVC D-Theater DVHS deserves a slow death because they have earned the right to be abandoned by the very people that have a chance of making this format work for them.

I guess when my projector arrives next week, and I have put a few miles of tape through the machine, I can offer an actual usage opinion. Hope I'm one of the minority who doesnt have problems, although Steve implies its just a matter of time. Glad I got a 5year warranty.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I do own a 30k. Have had it for 2 weeks
I would seriously consider returning it within the 30 day period and buy back later when the cause and hopefully solution is known, extended waranty or not.

If you only play a D-Theater tape here and there you maybe OK for a while, but if you plan to record HD than watch out. Once you have the ability to record you WILL use it often.

I am also quite surprised to have problems with a VCR from JVC. I had alot of confidence especially since DVHS is nothing new to them and they have been building VCRs for near eternity. Hopefully its just some simple firmware issue that's easily fixed.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm keeping the deck for now. My logic is this: I can use the extended warranty as leverage towards a replacement (new model) deck IF I have the kinds of long term problems others have been reporting. If it doesnt have problems, then I guess I will be too busy watching HD movies to come back to the forum for follow-up posts.

I guess I'm too stubborn to give up 1080i movie playback right now and wait for a new model. Better to have the ability now and deal with it later. Although if I didnt have the warranty and the exchange option, I'd be a runnin' back for a refund.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by impaladb
I purchased my unit back in March. I've only played back Dtheater tapes. Never done any recording. I have noticed over time that the glitch count has increased. I went from 1 or 2 per movie to about 10.
Sounds like a defective unit. I have no glitches on any of my D-Theater tapes. In terms of the tapes I record, I look for glitches, and if I find one, I re-record the movie. I open up the deck and clean the capstain and pinch roller every 100 hours. My deck has about 500 hours on it. I haven't touch the heads at all as they're still clean. My self-cleaning thingy is doing its thing for the head.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I mentioned the heat issue to a computer tech, who said that guys who overclock their CPU's to get better game play use air conditioning units in the pc since heat is major problem with overclocking. Could this be done to the JVC 30 K either by end users or as a suggestion to JVC, if that is a significant contributing factor to the glitches?

joe

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by doctorhifi
Better to have the ability now and deal with it later.
Of course, if you bought the deck and it's always at the service center because it's broke then you really don't have the [HD recording] ability now, do you?

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
jsaliga,

If it's at the service center, then he can deal with the problem. Until then, he can enjoy it. Is that alright with you?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
doctorhifi,

Enjoy your 30K. I enjoyed the product when it was working. Just wished someone here had known this was a ticking timebomb and forewarned me before I comitted my hard earned dollars. From my point of view, if you are going to record HD you will see this problem alot sooner than you think.

If I had purchased the JVC from my local Sears or Tweeter, I certainly would have returned it to the store for a refund. They would have taken it back after the 30 days when it started to fail. Tweeter does not carry the JVC and Sears did not have the item when I was shopping. Maybe your store or salesman will take care of you and you really have nothing to lose.

--hardwired

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
My warranty claims that if its serviced 3 times then it will be replaced with a new unit or comparible unit.

I think about it this way @ $800 for the deck you are paying roughly $8 to watch or record a movie in HD before it breaks. :(

Its an expensive hobby

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by XFactor
jsaliga,

If it's at the service center, then he can deal with the problem. Until then, he can enjoy it. Is that alright with you?
Oh, by all means do enjoy it to your heart's content...while it lasts. I sure enjoyed mine while it was working, and I really mean that.

I wouldn't wish bad luck on anyone. But when your deck goes into the tank (as it most probably will), when you are repeatedly forced to join the ranks of the HDless and Pine Brook shuffle clubs, and when you are in here complaining as much and loudly as the rest of us...well, I just know that some will feel completely vindicated.

It is very easy and convenient to be critical of those suffering through this problem while your deck is working. It is quite another thing when it's dead-a** broke in some distant location while you are missing recording after recording after recording.

--Jerome

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Jerome, I was moved to song...

Somewhere, over the rainbow...

A Network exec sleeps

with tears of joy

Knowing a pirate

got his just deserts

No more, will he ever record...

An Episode