·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been addressed in other threads a million times

but to save me the time of surfing thru them all I sure could use

some advice about the JVC DVHS Decks.

I currently own the 30K version and use to record SD and HD material

via firewire from a DTV OTA tuner. I also use it to view DTheater tapes.

Is there an advantage to upgrade to a newer model, if so, which and

why?

Thank you in advance,

Martin

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I've got both and I don't see any advantage other than the DTS capability of the 40K. On the 30K you get a firewire port on front & back. On 40K they are both on back. 40K has better onscreen menus. I don't record any SD but I believe the 40K has the advantage here. If you get an older 30K it will probably need a firmware update.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Morton
I've got both and I don't see any advantage other than the DTS capability of the 40K. On the 30K you get a firewire port on front & back. On 40K they are both on back. 40K has better onscreen menus. I don't record any SD but I believe the 40K has the advantage here. If you get an older 30K it will probably need a firmware update.

Randall

What I advantage exactly does the 40K in SD recording?

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Randall,

I think I will just stick with the 30K deck for now. Most of the

DTheater tapes and all the HD broadcasts are Dolby anyway.

I have not had any operational problems with it so far.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
The 40k has better quality analog record and playback, converts analog tape sound to TOSLink optical, and features DTS sound. I'm only repeating what I have read before as I have not done any analog recording. Also the tape transport is supposed to be improved on the 40K. I haven't actually timed a rewind but the 40K seems slower, even so, maybe it gives a more consistent tension of the tape than the 30K.

·
Registered
590 Posts
As someone who does not own either, the 40K looks the better bet for the $200 price difference I am seeing. Of course others have mentioned seeing the 30K at close-out prices, but my local retailers haven't dropped the price yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.