AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just spoke with my JVC dealer regarding the "dark horizontal bar" problem while watching HDTV feeds on the new 48" JVC AV-48WP30.

JVC is aware of this issue. The fix is to go into the service menu and correct the set-up of the input which is being used for the HDTV feed. They are not telling me how to do this as they don't want people to know how to get into the service menu.

I haven't seen the fix done, but I assume that it does the trick.

:cool:

· Registered
1,570 Posts
Well great, JVC can't release a rear projection TV that looks good out of the box and they don't trust consumers to make simple fixes in the service menu.:mad: I saw the JVC 48" at my local Best Buy last Friday; the horizontal banding flaw was present and absolutely unacceptable. What kind of quality control does JVC have to release an HDTV that has such a readily apparent visual flaw?

· Registered
16 Posts
Could you explain what you are seeing? I have a new (less than a week old) unit and have not seen anything wrong. In fact, I just went through some basic setup using Avia and it looks amazing.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I've seen on a number of the sets when displaying 1080i HDTV satellite signals is intermittent vertically moving horizontal dark bars (or bands). Other people have seen the same thing.

I don't have an HDTV feed myself, so I haven't noticed it (yet) on my set. I don't have any problem with DVDs. They look great.

· Premium Member
7,405 Posts
I hope they fix it anyways :)

· Registered
16 Posts
I was at the local Best Buy and they had the JVC hooked up to HDNet thru the dish. I watched for about five minutes and didn't see the black lines. Granted, I don't know exactly what's been seen and the set was way bright. I could see scan lines if I stood about two feet away, but I dont think that's what was meant.

· Registered
585 Posts
If you didn't notice, then the set didn't have the problem because it's very apparent.

I saw two sets and "just" one had the problem. Although both had very good picture if you didn't consider the problem.

So, what I would do is buy it locally and test it with HD feed. If you had the problem, you can try to correct it on the service menu, like meiche suggested or return it.

Meiche,

Did you ask them if it is possible to buy the service manual? If not, are they going to your house to correct the problem?

Thanks

· Registered
10 Posts
Have you tried the standard service menu keys?

Quote:
Enter the JVC service menu by pressing the SLEEP TIMER button on the remote control and, when 0 min is displayed, press DISPLAY and VIDEO STATUS simultaneously.

The Service Menu will appear on screen.

· Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Waters_10,

I didn't ask if I could buy the service manual. I doubt it very much. When I need the fix done, I will have a service tech come over to my house to reconfigure the JVC as required.

Slacker,

I tried the key sequence you suggested but it didn't work - no service menu appeared. If I could get into it (along with a service manual) that would be excellent. Hopefully someone will find out how.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.