Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my JVC 48WP30 delivered today.

Picture quality is great on DVD's. I have the Denon 1600 connected through S-Video and Component cables.

It seems component input has a problem. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I can see some horizontal lines, similar to scan lines. Actually, they are wider than scan lines. It seems like there's a different in brightness on this lines. It's very easy to notice on the blue screen that comes up when you stop the movie on the dvd player. It's very distracting on brighter scenes.

Also, when I switch to progressive output, these lines begin to move and the problems get a lot worse!

Clearly, the problem is with component inputs since the picture quality with s-video is great.

I remember that Meiche mentioned a problem with 1080i pictures being displayed on this set. I saw this problem myself on one of the display sets in Best Buy. On the same thread, he mentioned he talked to a JVC representative that told him the problem could be solved on the service menu. He mentioned that you have to correct the set-up of the input.

I don't have HDTV yet, but I'm starting to wonder if the problem I have is the same problem Meiche and I saw on display sets, since both use component inputs.

Well, on the same thread, another guy talked about entering the service menu through setting the sleeper to 0, pressing display and v. status at the same time. Meiche told him that didn't work with his set. But it worked on mine!!

So now, I have the service menu, but I have no idea how to solve the problem.

So, now to my questions. Has any owner find this problem with component inputs when using a DVD player? You can notice this by comparing the picture with the S-Video input. Also, has any owner played with the service menu? I didn't play with it, but just by looking at it, I couldn't find anything related to inputs.

Well, any help is welcome!

Thanks!

PS: The problem may be on my DVD player. I have to test it at a friends house.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had my JVC 48" for a week now, and it has been great.

I have the Panasonic RP56 prog. scan DVD hooked up through the

component videp inputs, and the picture has been great.

No problems at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
And you're also right, the service menu does pop up after

following the "Enter the JVC service menu by pressing the SLEEP TIMER button on the remote control and, when 0 min is displayed, press DISPLAY and VIDEO STATUS simultaneously" routine posted before.

Just have no idea what anything does!

:)

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I've made some tests here. I've solved the problem.

I was using a brand new 6 feet RCA gold plate cable as component cables. However, the cable was going behind the tv and to the left side, where I have all my audio components.

When I tried moving the dvd to the right side, the problem was gone! It came back when I connected component and s-video at the same time.

So, I believe the problem was interference on the cable. Now, I disconnected the S-Video cable and tried to flat the cable as much as I could, since the cable was brand new and it was still shapped like a coil spring and I believe this was generating some degradation on the signal. Now the problem is gone.

When I connect the 6 cables for DVD-Audio, I can notice just a little bit of loss in quality. But I have to be 1-2 feet away from the set to notice.

Well, at the end, the problem was not on the tv. It was the cable and dvd set-up. I'll try to get some better cables. The irony is that I never thought the cable would be the problem.

About the service menu, I won't mess with this untill I get the service manual (if possible) or somebody posts more info about this.

Thanks again

PS:By the way, picture quality with DVD is awesome on this set.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Waters_10
I got my JVC 48WP30 delivered today.

Well, on the same thread, another guy talked about entering the service menu through setting the sleeper to 0, pressing display and v. status at the same time. Meiche told him that didn't work with his set. But it worked on mine!!
I cant bring up the service menu either. Service manual clearly states the sequence you listed is correct. Gotta call JVC and check whats the problem (hopefully they will be helpful.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Adi,

That's strange! It's very easy to access the service menu on my set! I wonder if there are different versions of this set around.

Anyway, from your post you already have the service manual, right? I'll probably gonna order it this week. But, I'm very curious right now! Is there are a way to mess with color decoder to correct red and/or green push? I read on the other thread about a guy that has severe red push with his set.

I used the AVIA disc and when I use low temperature setting for the color, I have minor green push. When I use high setting, there's a little of red push. I'm using low, since green push does not bother me at all, comparing with red push. But I would like to play with this things, if possible.

Thanks!

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Waters_10
Adi,

That's strange! It's very easy to access the service menu on my set! I wonder if there are different versions of this set around.

Anyway, from your post you already have the service manual, right? I'll probably gonna order it this week. But, I'm very curious right now! Is there are a way to mess with color decoder to correct red and/or green push? I read on the other thread about a guy that has severe red push with his set.
I think the first batch of these were sent out without much QC. BTW, lets compare the serial numbers, I shal PM you mine.

Frankly, I do not understand (yet) lot of technical terms given in the manual, I am positive adjusting the individual beam gains is possible.

Did the bases AVIA calibration yesterday. As far as I remember, B was perfect, Red was about 5% under and Green was about 20% over.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where can I get a copy of the service manual ? I had trouble getting into the service menu the first time then I realized I had to cycle thru all the sleep time back to zero before it would let me in, is that different from the others out there?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey, about the service menu, I havent seen the remote for this particular tv, but my 32inch tv's remote has two switches at the top and they both have to be in the left position to be able to enter the service menu using sleeptimer=0/display+videostatus sequence

if your remotes have two switches, like for tv/dvd make sure they are both switched to the left and try the buttons again, bet it works :)

And whatever you do, dont change one thing in the service menu unless you write down every single default or get a printout of the defaults, writing down your default settings would be best because some of my sets defaults were a little different than the service manuals defaults.

and they use weird abreviations for things, like the component input adjustments might be labeled "cmp" like cmpvsize or cmpvpos

I also have a relative working for a company that sells jvc tv's and asked to see if he could order one and how much his price would be, I should have bought one at bestbuy when they had the preferred customer weekend 10%off deal, it would have been 10% off $1799.99 and the free chair/ottoman

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.