AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i AM LOOKING AT BUYING A NEW 1080P SET THESE ARE THE 2 WHICH i CAN AFFORD AND ARE WHAT i AM LOOKING FOR I have a avr 4806 so I am able to upconvert everything to hdmi 1080p output so let em know the differences and what is good and bad.

I do have a blu-ray player and play xbox360 wii and ps3.

I currently have a 65 crt mitsu 1080i ws-65809 it will be replacing if anyone is looking for one pm me

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
It is very unlikely that you will see RB on the Mitsubishi although possible. That being said, both displays should be terrific. I would suggest letting price and the difference in size be your deciding factors. I have seen the JVC offered with a free stand even though some have not cared for it. Since you are used to a 65" display you may find going down to a 61" not to your liking.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i can get the mitsu for 2139.00 and the jvc for 2149.00 I do agree with the size issue. what is rb?

do both sets look sharp with no pixelation behind movement? or is one more subject to it?

what is bulb life like on these

any input would be great

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am very susceptible to RBE, and so I went to a home theater store to check out the Mits line. Unfortunately, I see rainbows on their higher end sets as well. I ended up warring over the Sony and JVC -- eventually siding on the JVC.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You'll notice the RBE on DLP sets right away if you are susceptible.

Other "issues" to note:

LCD sets are more likely to have:

SDE - Screen Door Effect - where your eyes see the grid between the pixels which looks like a screen door. If you sit at the appropriate distance and don't have eagle eyes this won't occur very often if ever.

SSE - silk screen effect - you'll see "sparkly" areas, usually when there are large areas of white or bright colors (red is sometimes bad). worse when the contrast/picture is too high (which is always the case at stores).

LCD flat panel "issues" are poor blacks, uneven brightness especially as viewing angle changes, and motion blur (more with older sets that had slower response times), and ghosting.

Plasma "issues" are image retention (common, phosphor cells continue to glow, but will fade away), stuck pixels (sometimes repairable with a constant image), burn-in (not really an issue any longer, but this is permanant image retention), and screen glare.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I talked to 2 of my friends that sell at different places they say the mitsu no longer has the rbe due to the 6 color wheels and have in vited me to bring in my ps3 or 360 to test them.

they also are not pushing me either way they want me to choose which one I buy.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
DLP displays are still prone to RBE. Even the LED based Samsung which uses no color wheel at all can still display RBE. Your friends are wrong. Granted, the 6 panel may be less prone to RBE but it still possible. If you don't see them that's great, and most people won't, but keep in mind, you may not the only person that will watch it. I've seen posts from people that did not see the RB's for six months on their sets and then bingo, there they were. I have never seen a RB on any of a dozen of my friends DLP's.

·
Registered
227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianandamy /forum/post/0

So Is The Jvc The Better Choice? No One Will Give Me A Straight Opinion.

My straight opinion: I see RBE on all DLP's regardless of 6 color wheel or LED. While I may be in the minority, I know how many hours I tried to "suck it up" and just deal with the rainbows. That was until the headaches and eye strain became too much to deal with.

The JVC is a great set. Go to Best Buy and watch it for a while. It is bright, vivid, sharp and doesn't use the fake wobulated 1080p that samsungs and some other DLP's use. While the Sammy's and Mits look great (and I would buy them if I didn't see RBE), I went with the JVC.

Bottom line - if you watch the sammy's and mits for a while and don't have any eye strain or RBE, buy them. In my opinion they are the best. However, it's a no brainer for the JVC if you see RBE.

Oh, and by the way, there is plenty of SSE on Samsung and Mits DLP sets. None of these sets DLP or LCOS have the SDE.

·
Registered
166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianandamy /forum/post/0

So Is The Jvc The Better Choice? No One Will Give Me A Straight Opinion.

I've owned the JVC since 12/17, and I'm a happy camper so far. I can't speak to the strengths and/or weaknesses of the Mits-the only DLP set I seriously considered was the Samsung 87 series 1080p set, which I ultimately ruled out, primarily because I thought it had a kind of "hyper" reality, unnatural look to it. I did think the Samsung looked superior to other DLP sets I looked at, including a Mits 57" model. I also had concerns about long term color wheel reliability and the possibility I might be sensistive to RBE. The JVC does have the SSE (silk screen effect) issue, and while I notice it during some scenes watching DVD's I personally don't find it intrusive enough to detract from the viewing experience. The dynamic iris on the JVC was the clincher for me-I'm able to get black levels that are very satisfying, and this was always the deal-breaker in previous microdisplays I looked at (including earlier JVC models). If you can view both models side at the store, do it-I ruled out several early contenders this way, including the Sony SXRD (lacked fine detail compared to the JVC).

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
PRICE=A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE IS THE MANAGER OF A LARGE HIGH END ELECTRONICS STORE.

The one thing I did not like was the screen or the coating on the jvc tends to shine over the picture is this how they all are? Or just a bad one?

I am really nervous about the rbe expecially with my wife and kids who may not really tell me untill too late.

I am going to the store tonight with my bluray player and ultraviolet and see how it looks I think it is one of the clearest and most vibrant movies out on bluray. I am also going to bring a couple of ps3 games to just to see if I see the rbe.

how are the bulb lifes on both, I calibrate my sets so they are not done by eye.

size is a huge factor for me , but so is clairity of the image expecially movement. I was thinking going down to 61 may make a clearer pic and make my wife happier since she has always said the 65" was too big.

I do however realize if the 61" is too much smaller I can always sell it and buy a 70".

just so hard to choose I do appreciate all the input you guys can give, it will help in making my decision for sure.

one more thing my avr4806 will up convert everything to hdmi 1080p, so if I set my Xbox 360 to output 1080p thru component should it output in 1080p and then be switched to hdmi with the reciever?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hands down the mitsu is the best tv I watched bluray on both the mits has better depth color and detail the jvc gave me a headache mostly because of the sheen on the screen I could not focus and the screen was easily seen during the viewing. I tried everything shaking my head blinkng my eyes turning quickly to the side no signs of rbe on the mitsu. I can only say dlp has gone a long way in a year.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.