AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally was looking to buy the JVC 56". Through my searches I have found many many sights where the (newer) 61" set is very close in price to the 56" (even lower in one case) My question is this:

Is there anything about the 56" that makes it a better TV than the 61"? The 61" came out a few months ago, the 56" came out a few weeks ago. Could the 56" benefit from any improvements in technology or pq? Could the 56" be better built and have less of a chance of mechanical failures? I believe the 61" has the old cabinet design (which is still very nice) but everything else about it should be on par with the 56", correct? Has anyone seen both sets side by side or had reason to compare them?

My closest viewing distance is 9' and my normal viewing distance is 15'-16'. I have an adjustable entertainment center which can accommodate either set. So what downside could there be to getting a larger set at almost the same cost???

(I also plan on purchasing the black swivel stand (RKCILA5B) anyone have an opinion on that?)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorPete
I originally was looking to buy the JVC 56". Through my searches I have found many many sights where the (newer) 61" set is very close in price to the 56" (even lower in one case) My question is this:

Is there anything about the 56" that makes it a better TV than the 61"? The 61" came out a few months ago, the 56" came out a few weeks ago. Could the 56" benefit from any improvements in technology or pq? Could the 56" be better built and have less of a chance of mechanical failures? I believe the 61" has the old cabinet design (which is still very nice) but everything else about it should be on par with the 56", correct? Has anyone seen both sets side by side or had reason to compare them?

My closest viewing distance is 9' and my normal viewing distance is 15'-16'. I have an adjustable entertainment center which can accommodate either set. So what downside could there be to getting a larger set at almost the same cost???

(I also plan on purchasing the black swivel stand (RKCILA5B) anyone have an opinion on that?)

The 56 will probably have a later build date, though in this case, I don't know how important that really is.

As far as I know, the 61Z786 and the 56G786 have the same 2nd generation cabinet design, which is different from the 1st generation case design of the 575 and 585 models.

A 15 or 16 foot viewing distance is more than enough for a 61 inch TV. 9 feet is probably somewhat close for that size.

The JVC swivel stand seems rather expensive, but it is a good stand from what I have seen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I debated between the 56G786 & the 61Z786 as well. My viewing distance is 13.5 ft. I purchased the 61" and am very glad I did. I wouldn't hesitate going with the 61", with any new purchase I would even consider going bigger.

I also have the RKCILA5B stand. Although it was relatively expensive I think it matches well with the TV.

·
Registered
216 Posts
One thing I have never heard anyone say is "Gee, I wish I had gotten a smaller set."

I have heard many times from friends and on this board, "I thought this set would be too big, but now that I am used to it, I wish I would have gotten the next size up."

In other words, if you can get both for about the same price and space is not an issue, I'd say go for the 61" set. I doubt there is any improvement in PQ.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess bigger IS better :D

I'm going to concentrate on the 61". Like others I now believe if I get the 56" I would be kicking myself later on. Thanks for the input!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.