Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://www.guidetohometheater.com/shownews.cgi?1300

May 20, 2002 — Home theater fans will enjoy perusing JVC's new video products—especially its combination digital TV decoder and high-def–capable hard disk recorder, due at dealers this fall.

At its mid-May press conference, JVC showed the TU-9000, a prototype HDTV tuner with built-in hard drive. The consumer version is projected to include a 120GB hard disk drive and an ATSC over-the-air tuner, as well as dual-tuner standard/high-definition decoding for EchoStar's DISH Network. The TU-9000 will stream only one HD channel at a time, according to JVC marketing executive Al Levene. Connections on the TU-9000 will include DVI and IEEE-1394 ("FireWire"). The 1394 connector will yoke the PVR to JVC's HM-DH30000U D-VHS VCR, allowing users to make tape copies of HDTV programs.

JVC is also pushing a new line of HD-capable D-VHS VCRs, to debut in June with the simultaneous launch of the first pre-recorded HDTV D-VHS movies encoded with "D-Theater" copy protection, a proprietary JVC technology said to prevent unauthorized duplication of feature films and other valuable content. Artisan, DreamWorks, Fox, and Universal have all committed to release HDTV titles in the D-Theater format this year. The tapes will be playable only on D-Theater machines, according to JVC executives.

JVC will encourage cooperation between software and hardware retailers with a referral program, according to Consumer Video vice president Jerry Barbera. The company expects that most initial HDTV D-VHS movie sales will occur through electronics stores and Internet distributors.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
Thanks but no thanks, I still use my vcr to record digital movies to see, if would want to purchase the DVD disc. I then erase the tape ready to tape late night programs again. :)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I wonder what the price premium is going to be on the HD-PVR. I'm about ready to replace my RePlay. I wish sonic blue would make this product and add the comercial skip feature. I could care less about the ethernet connection.

-phil

·
Registered
81 Posts
This may be the product that I have been looking for. Does anyone have any pics of this unit. How does it compare feature wise with the Dish 921.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Another question, I wonder if the new decks will include an ATSC OTA tuner? Also, when is the TU9000 actually going to be released. Last thing I saw was Sept. at the earliest?

---------------------Dave

·
Registered
94 Posts
According to the link:
http://www.dtvmax.com/main.htm

"JVC has announced a new Dishnetwork HD set-top-box that included a hard disc drive based high definition personal video recorder. The model TU-9000 should be available in the September/October 2002 timeframe for $1999. The unit will include a IEEE 1394 (firewire) interface that will allow for HD recording to be transferred to an external D-VHS digital VCR."

Tom

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
$2,000 --- !

Ouch!

I better save my money, or hope that the DISH 921 is priced reasonably.

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
The $1,999 is the MSRP (Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price). Actual street price is usually much lower. As a point of reference, the JVC D-Theater D-VHS deck also came out with a MSRP of $1,999 but you can now buy it for around $1,100.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Hey Vic ---

isn't the MSRP for the DISH 921 supposed to be less than $1,000?

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Well the new 721 with a 120 GB hard drive and two tuners is being sold at pre-order from certain places for 550.00 to existing subs.

A new Dish 6000 with OTA module costs about 325.00 more than a new 4900 which is basically a 6000 without HD capability.

That said, is it safe to assume the 921 would be in the 850.00-900.00 range? Who knows.

But IIRC on the Tech Chat a couple weeks ago they kept referring to the HD with PVR (921) as being available..next year.

·
Registered
13,771 Posts
2 grand is beyond me. I need to be able to buy the JVC PVR and JVC D-VHS deck at the same time, for 2 K total.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Brajesh - Please refer to your sig. They will sell all of them. I bet you have something around the house you can sell to buy this unit, if you really want it. Maybe a kid or two. How about your spouse? ;)

·
Registered
4,304 Posts
I'll say it again: It will NOT cost 2 grand! MSRP is not the same as street price. If the JVC D-VHS deck pricing is any indication (and there's no reason to believe otherwise), you'll be able to get it for $1,100-$1,200.

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
If I record a HD program on the TU-9000 hard disk, from HBOHD for example, can I use the components out to show a HD picture on my TV or the picture will only be HD if I have a DVI connection?

Thanks for any help. I am waiting for this baby to complete my HT.

Sergio

·
Registered
81 Posts
Would this unit be supported by Dish with software upgrades etc, as would be available on the 921? This sounds like a great unit.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by slimoli
If I record a HD program on the TU-9000 hard disk, from HBOHD for example, can I use the components out to show a HD picture on my TV or the picture will only be HD if I have a DVI connection?

Thanks for any help. I am waiting for this baby to complete my HT.

Sergio
I wonder if the VGA-Component transcoder I use for my HTPC will work for this?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.