AVS Forum banner

241 - 260 of 1014 Posts

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Lol, i see the analogy. But to carry anology further, sometimes its better to listen to the smart kid without preconceived questions and answers rather than the parents. Better to wait for a cloudless day before measuring the blue patch with meter lol.

Markmon1 has made many a post where i went "ah, didn't think of that".
I don't dispute the fact that @markmon1 is an intelligent well informed purveyor of knowledge. His approach to analyzing projector performance is to be commended. His approach to disseminating that information leaves much to be desired.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Curious about this new DTM.

Does it completely ignore the source HDR meta data in favor of its own real time process?

So if I have a device that just always sends a fixed but incorrect 1000/1000 for maxCLL/maxFALL, those values will not be used in any way by the new algorithm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Curious about this new DTM.

Does it completely ignore the source HDR meta data in favor of its own real time process?

So if I have a device that just always sends a fixed but incorrect 1000/1000 for maxCLL/maxFALL, those values will not be used in any way by the new algorithm?

JVC’s new Frame Adapt HDR instantly analyzes the peak brightness of each frame or scene using a proprietary JVC algorithm, and adjusting dynamic range to provide the best possible HDR image. Frame Adapt HDR works with any HDR10 content, even content that does not contain brightness metadata (Max CLL/Max FALL).

Dynamic range is adjusted in real time for optimal image projection. At the same time, saturation, hue, and brightness is analyzed and optimal corrections are made, which reduces color loss.

As a result, even within a single program, darker scenes have deeper blacks with enhanced color. Bright scenes have higher peak brightness without color loss while maintaining black level. All content is reproduced closer to what the human eye is capable of seeing.

Frame Adapt HDR adjustments are based on analysis of the input HDR10 signal. Therefore, it is effective on content with or without mastering information. As a result, all HDR10 content can be enjoyed with greater dynamic range and image quality than ever before.

I haven't seen JVC state anywhere if the metadata is being used in conjunction with their proprietary algorithm but since no metadata is required for the frame by frame HDR adjustments I don't know if it matter if the metadata that is available factors into the algorithm.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Are we still looking for October release of this new firmware?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,003 Posts
Do you ever not dispute anything that gets posted? Honestly for the last week it is like watching a little kid argue with his parents that the sky is not blue because the clouds are out. Maybe just try giving it a rest for a while.
When someone says something that makes no sense it just has to be addressed. I suppose you're one that actually believes JVC is going to release buggy firmware to their European and Asian customers and wait for them to iron out all the bugs before releasing it on USA customers? That just makes no sense at all. No company is going to do that.

But thanks for the personal attack. If you find my posts too childish perhaps you can use the ignore feature?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
When someone says something that makes no sense it just has to be addressed. I suppose you're one that actually believes JVC is going to release buggy firmware to their European and Asian customers and wait for them to iron out all the bugs before releasing it on USA customers? That just makes no sense at all. No company is going to do that.

But thanks for the personal attack. If you find my posts too childish perhaps you can use the ignore feature?
I usually find your posts to be informative and intelligent. You have been a little antagonistic the last week. You clearly are skilled in analyzing projector performance and in explaining it in a very eloquent manner. I don't believe that buggy firmware would be released on purpose to Europe first and the corrected firmware to the US. I just think you could have addressed it in a more productive manner. You are such a wealth of knowledge I get frustrated when you come off as a pompous person because I know it is so beneath you.

·
Registered
7,690 Posts

In fact Kris D and probably others have been checking the firmware for a while now. I also see no reason to not release it at the same time everywhere.

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
Do you ever not dispute anything that gets posted? Honestly for the last week it is like watching a little kid argue with his parents that the sky is not blue because the clouds are out. Maybe just try giving it a rest for a while.

You know, I just report what my JVC rep once told me. People can do whatever they want. JVC projectors definitely seem to have more problems in Australia for instance. I think it's because JVC USA performs additional quality control checks. That could include firmware and hardware. YMMV. :)

·
Registered
29,696 Posts
So they're going to post it on some other site when it's all buggy and only after all the Europeans have had problems will they post it on the USA site? It seems to me if JVC posts it anywhere on their sites then it's ready to go.
JVC Europe decides when they want to post it. JVC US decides when they want to post it. If JVC US posts it later, that means they are spending more time going over the implementation, to make sure there are no bugs. From what I have seen, JVC Europe like to be first and JVC US like to be more through.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
You know, I just report what my JVC rep once told me. People can do whatever they want. JVC projectors definitely seem to have more problems in Australia for instance. I think it's because JVC USA performs additional quality control checks. That could include firmware and hardware. YMMV. :)
I am in agreement with you. International brands have domestic entities for a reason. As always I appreciate your knowledge, insight and the way you treat your fellow enthusiasts with kindness and respect. It does not go unnoticed.

·
Registered
29,696 Posts
JVC’s new Frame Adapt HDR instantly analyzes the peak brightness of each frame or scene using a proprietary JVC algorithm, and adjusting dynamic range to provide the best possible HDR image. Frame Adapt HDR works with any HDR10 content, even content that does not contain brightness metadata (Max CLL/Max FALL).

Dynamic range is adjusted in real time for optimal image projection. At the same time, saturation, hue, and brightness is analyzed and optimal corrections are made, which reduces color loss.

As a result, even within a single program, darker scenes have deeper blacks with enhanced color. Bright scenes have higher peak brightness without color loss while maintaining black level. All content is reproduced closer to what the human eye is capable of seeing.

Frame Adapt HDR adjustments are based on analysis of the input HDR10 signal. Therefore, it is effective on content with or without mastering information. As a result, all HDR10 content can be enjoyed with greater dynamic range and image quality than ever before.

I haven't seen JVC state anywhere if the metadata is being used in conjunction with their proprietary algorithm but since no metadata is required for the frame by frame HDR adjustments I don't know if it matter if the metadata that is available factors into the algorithm.

Frame Adapt does not use the metadata, so it can be missing or wrong and it makes zero difference.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
JVC Europe decides when they want to post it. JVC US decides when they want to post it. If JVC US posts it later, that means they are spending more time going over the implementation, to make sure there are no bugs. From what I have seen, JVC Europe like to be first and JVC US like to be more through.
Please know my comment about Craig applies to you as well although I enjoy your somewhat saltier disposition from time to time, as I tend towards the salty side myself.

·
Registered
18,633 Posts

In fact Kris D and probably others have been checking the firmware for a while now. I also see no reason to not release it at the same time everywhere.
It may be fine. Then again, do you always want to be the absolute first one to download new firmware ? :eek: I sometimes prefer others do a day or two of " beta testing " for me. ;)

·
Registered
18,633 Posts
I am in agreement with you. International brands have domestic entities for a reason. As always I appreciate your knowledge, insight and the way you treat your fellow enthusiasts with kindness and respect. It does not go unnoticed.

:) I might change my signature to " inadvertently de-bugging and beta testing home theater electronics for various manufacturers since 2003 " . ;)

·
Premium Member
1,552 Posts
Frame Adapt does not use the metadata, so it can be missing or wrong and it makes zero difference.

Perfect thanks. Infuse on the Apple TV sends out dummy values for HDR meta data and I wanted to make sure they would not mess up the new algorithm.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Reactions: David Mathews
241 - 260 of 1014 Posts