AVS Forum banner

261 - 280 of 1014 Posts

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Thanks. I'm French and that was painful to read. They didn't test this in a darkened room, just a "normal contemporary environment" as he says. He also said that he didn't get to test all of it in depth, just a couple of things.
Yes, the Google translation is painful. I also noticed that the tests were not in a fully darkened room. I would bet that the if that were the case the results would even have been better.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, the Google translation is painful. I also noticed that the tests were not in a fully darkened room. I would bet that the if that were the case the results would even have been better.
He said HE IS French. I interpreted that as the text was bad written even in the original French version.

·
Registered
690 Posts
He said HE IS French. I interpreted that as the text was bad written even in the original French version.
Yup...was hard reading it. Didn't flow well. Anyway that's beside the point that I made about the room conditions and the quick testing.

·
Registered
978 Posts
...the French article states, in part (via the English translation)..."perhaps as early as Wednesday, October 9...publicly available to all..."

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe their processing capabilities aren't up to the task, or just a matter of development resources? Not sure.
I suspect JVC will be doing what they can to widen the gap between the NX and RS series. Until native 4K can match RS on contrast the cheaper projectors will remain very attractive. I was hellbent on native 4K but eshift/great contrast at a fraction of the price won the day. If this (540) was the last projector I will ever buy I would have gone native 4K, but in a few years the contrast will catch up and they might even have Dolby Vision working on projectors. With all of the attention being given to HDR I can't imagine that Dolby will just cede this niche. Early discussions sounded like DV would never come to home projectors.

This is great news -- the race to the perfect projector continues!!

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I suspect JVC will be doing what they can to widen the gap between the NX and RS series. Until native 4K can match RS on contrast the cheaper projectors will remain very attractive. I was hellbent on native 4K but eshift/great contrast at a fraction of the price won the day. If this (540) was the last projector I will ever buy I would have gone native 4K, but in a few years the contrast will catch up and they might even have Dolby Vision working on projectors. With all of the attention being given to HDR I can't imagine that Dolby will just cede this niche. Early discussions sounded like DV would never come to home projectors.

Having owned an RS520 and with a friend owning an RS540 I really don't feel like the NX7 is lacking much contrast wise. A month ago we watch Alita:BA UHD on the RS540 and I watched Blade Runner UHD on my NX7 the next day and really the difference isn't huge. What you'll mostly see is that the e-shift's more aggressive DI will close down on full black more, but with the added artifact of pumping. Even if production of the RS540 continued (and I wish it had) the NX lineup has enough advantages over the e-shift units to recommend it despite the contrast differences.

Honestly I feel this firmware negates the need for DV on these projectors. The only thing it would bring is a small bump in color bit depth. Adjusting the frame mapping via metadata (DV) vs. adjusting it via analyzing the frame's actual data (JVC firmware) should produce very similar results.

·
Registered
JVC RS2000,Runco Q750,Hitachi LP-WU3500,DPI M-Vision 260HB,130in 2:35.1,MadVR,Pioneer VSX-LX503
5,324 Posts
Having owned an RS520 and with a friend owning an RS540 I really don't feel like the NX7 is lacking much contrast wise. A month ago we watch Alita:BA UHD on the RS540 and I watched Blade Runner UHD on my NX7 the next day and really the difference isn't huge. What you'll mostly see is that the e-shift's more aggressive DI will close down on full black more, but with the added artifact of pumping. Even if production of the RS540 continued (and I wish it had) the NX lineup has enough advantages over the e-shift units to recommend it despite the contrast differences.

Honestly I feel this firmware negates the need for DV on these projectors. The only thing it would bring is a small bump in color bit depth. Adjusting the frame mapping via metadata (DV) vs. adjusting it via analyzing the frame's actual data (JVC firmware) should produce very similar results.
Coming from a RS520 as well, I feel the the RS2000/N7 is a superior projector and the drop in contrast is not significant. When you get to an acceptable brightness level, both are similar. However, the RS520 could provide more contrast when the aperture is lower to only give you 400 lumens. When both have the aperture open, its CR is 30k to 35k, difficult to distinguish from the contrast levels. When I closed both the aperture halfway, its CR is also similar. However, the DI closed much more on the RS520 but that is not always a great thing.

·
Registered
18,618 Posts

It's an un-obtainable destination !

·
Registered
392 Posts
Not long ago I read an analysis that DV would never be possible for projectors, and in fact the best HDR we could hope for would be a token effort. Thankfully that was wrong. HDR is front and center of many discussions and this move by JVC shows that they are taking it very seriously.

And I freely admit that the price difference was important. With the 540 well under half the cost of the NX7 I can justify buying the NXwhatever in a few years as the tech matures. I will probably be wrestling with what to do with the native 8K machines by then. Also I am hamstrung with streaming 4K. The best download I can pull is 10 megs. UHD discs are here, but the future is streaming, and I stream 1080p a lot.

So my preferred access to 4K won't exist here for a while, I am stuck with upconverting 1080p with the 540 and it does a remarkable job of that. Now it would have been different if I had missed the last batch of 540s. With those off the table, the equation changes. To avoid missing them I sorta had to not tell the wife -- better to ask forgiveness that ask permission. My bad. She is over it now, mostly.

Enjoy that NX7 -- if I wasn't a tight ass I would have gone for it, too. Absolutely a fine machine. Wear it out -- there is nothing better in life than a fine thing worn out.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Not long ago I read an analysis that DV would never be possible for projectors, and in fact the best HDR we could hope for would be a token effort. Thankfully that was wrong. HDR is front and center of many discussions and this move by JVC shows that they are taking it very seriously.

And I freely admit that the price difference was important. With the 540 well under half the cost of the NX7 I can justify buying the NXwhatever in a few years as the tech matures. I will probably be wrestling with what to do with the native 8K machines by then. Also I am hamstrung with streaming 4K. The best download I can pull is 10 megs. UHD discs are here, but the future is streaming, and I stream 1080p a lot.

So my preferred access to 4K won't exist here for a while, I am stuck with upconverting 1080p with the 540 and it does a remarkable job of that. Now it would have been different if I had missed the last batch of 540s. With those off the table, the equation changes. To avoid missing them I sorta had to not tell the wife -- better to ask forgiveness that ask permission. My bad. She is over it now, mostly.

Enjoy that NX7 -- if I wasn't a tight ass I would have gone for it, too. Absolutely a fine machine. Wear it out -- there is nothing better in life than a fine thing worn out.
She is over it, mostly. . Been there. It was worth it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
540 owner from the last batch, and loving it since calibrated (along with Panny 820).
I got one of the last 3 in the hopper. I don't like to cut things that close, but I got it. Good enough. I am still marveling at the PQ, and the JVC has nailed 3D, dying format as it appears to be.

Wear it out brother, wear it out.

·
Registered
29,639 Posts

There is not 2x difference in the street prices.

·
Premium Member
2,676 Posts
Downloaded...Now when to install it?? :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pardon the basic question but maybe I don't understand what "source direct" means. It is not the same as sending the signal to projector without tone mapping? That is already an option provided.

I am curious about this too. If you turn off tone mapping / HDR Optimizer on the Panasonic, how is that different than “source direct” mode on other players?

·
Registered
48 Posts
JVC Firmware Upgrade Video

261 - 280 of 1014 Posts