AVS Forum banner

301 - 320 of 1014 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Hi, i tested 1 movie side by side on Panasonic UB9000 and OPPO 203 and i think on HDR "AUTO" UB9000 looks more bether then on OPPO 203. On UB9000 i was have enabled HDR Optimilizer.
"AUTO" uses the MaxCLL/FALL metadata that the JVC receives. If the HDR Optimizer is used it will send modified MaxCLL/FALL. Otherwise (and always from the 203) the JVC will get MaxCLL/FALL metadata off the disc and that can be anything from fairly good to non-existent. The other JVC settings ignore MaxCLL/FALL.

So, to do a proper comparison you should have the HDR Optimizer off and use the same (non-AUTO) setting for both. I suspect that you would not see any obvious differences.

Or, if you want to see whether the HDR Optimizer adds something to the JVC processing vs the 203 (which just passes through the HDR metadata), then you should use "AUTO" for the Panasonic and one of the JVC non-AUTO settings for the 203.

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
I had Chad B. calibrate my RS1000 last week. It looks so good, I'm hesitant to upgrade now, but don't want to miss out on something even better. Anyone know yet if this upgrade will effect my new calibration? Or what settings to use?
no your calibrated profile will stay on your JVC

Yes, and for new frame adapt mode, it will have default settings for brightness, offset, gains etc. I replaced defaults with my old settings until i get a chance to calibrate new mode. (Ive only put around 50 hours on since last calibration)

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I had Chad B. calibrate my RS1000 last week. It looks so good, I'm hesitant to upgrade now, but don't want to miss out on something even better. Anyone know yet if this upgrade will effect my new calibration? Or what settings to use?
I was in contact about this topic with Chad B. earlier today. His recommendation is to simply re-enter the values from his HDR10 calibration into the appropriate locations in the new Frame Adapt menu.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I was in contact about this topic with Chad B. earlier today. His recommendation is to simply re-enter the values from his HDR10 calibration into the appropriate locations in the new Frame Adapt menu.
Exactly what I did.

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
That is awesome news. Thank you for sharing his recommendations.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
712 Posts
Great! Thank you!

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
This would be helpful, except we don't know which version of madVR is running and was one of the higher-performing test builds being used (build 86 or higher)? Which gpu was being used and other features of madVR enabled?

If the comparision test was just with the basic madVR setup it's not telling much imo...
Agreed. FWIW, I did a very quick, almost cursory and highly unscientific comparison with my RS1000 this morning. To my eyes I found the JVC DTM dimmer and not as vibrant as MadVR test version .94. YMMV.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Agreed. FWIW, I did a very quick, almost cursory and highly unscientific comparison with my RS1000 this morning. To my eyes I found the JVC DTM dimmer and not as vibrant as MadVR test version .94. YMMV.
Was the JVC DTM using Medium or High? Or set to Auto.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
v3.10 released. - October 9, 2019

・Adds new "Frame Adapt HDR" function
・Support for 16x9 content when using a Panamorph Paladin DCR lens (adds Anamorphic D).
・Adds new presets to screen adjustment function

·
Registered
540 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
What are you guys using? Auto, low, medium or high?
high looks closest to my lumagen dynamic mapping. I like it the best so far

301 - 320 of 1014 Posts