AVS Forum banner

321 - 340 of 1014 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Interesting comparison of MADVR with new JVC Firmware from German Forum (Google Translation)
" # 666 created: Today , 10:46
FIRST COMPARISON: FRAME ADAPT HDR vs. MADVR

First impressions of the picture:
Sully:

2. The plane hits the building. A flash explosion can be seen. In the background, the sun shines on a building and the blue sky can be seen behind it.
MadVR shows a very fine explosion. Sky and building elements are well differentiated.
Frame Adapt HDR is also no nakedness. However, the explosion seems a bit fuller. Sky and buildings in the background are also optimally differentiated.

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-94-15753-14.html
The very first scene, after I installed the new FW, I went to was this... that fireball and the shade in the people on the left is a great test.

I noticed two things that almost echo this but I am using beta 86 with my MadVR on a RTX2070.

The fireball is a bit fuller (deeper color and more detail) on the JVC FW. MadVR produced a great fireball but it was a tad brighter (not a bad thing).

But my biggest difference was the shadow detail on the people on the bottom left. JVC FW raised the shadows a bit too much. MadVR kept the shadows looking like a shadow and a bit deeper/darker. Funny, considering that the fireball was brighter.

I noticed this in several JVC FW scenes. The shadows are a bit brighter compared to MadVR.

Checked out Lucy hospital scene and they both are about equal with MadVR giving a tad better highlights and JVC FW raising shadows again.

I also checked out Bird Box 4k and here the JVC FW did a better job with all the darker scenes throughout. I am sure I can tweak MadVR shadows for these dark ones.

So JVC FW will be awesome for streaming stuff. I need to check later if Amazon will work. Didn't have time today.

·
Registered
253 Posts
What are you guys using? Auto, low, medium or high?
I have relatively small 110 inch diagonal scope screen with unity gain. I find medium works best for me as I'm getting almost 150 nits using the full 17:9 aspect ratio on scope films (high lamp and filter engaged) . As the lamps ages on my NX7 I can always move to the high setting.

Overall I'm very impressed with this update from JVC. I was expecting an improvement but this is a huge upgrade to the projector's HDR performance.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
What are you guys using? Auto, low, medium or high?
am using auto...

as per chris from JVCs recommendation in video below from around 2:20 I am going with

1. select picture mode for frame adapt

2. on main page you have HDR level control that you can leave on automatic

3. then have a choice of frame by frame, scene by scene or static (HDR processing

4. try frame by frame or scene by scene

5. in more advanced mode we have choice of cinema mode of either wide or normal (wide is bt2020 mode)

he then goes on about analormpihc... that's it folks ... and its providing great results :)

·
Registered
183 Posts
I tried lamp mode high and hdr medium and lamp low and hdr high and they were pretty close in pic quality and brightness. Might keep the lamp low to get the extra hrs out of it. Definitely a big improvement over previous firmware.

Reactions: alebonau

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Started the update, said 22 minutes (2.04 to 3.10), watched the lights cycle like in the video, went away for about 40 mins, came back and all 3 lights were on solid. Pressed the power button, nothing. So I unplugged and plugged back in, it came on and is on 2.04. I just started it again, but any idea why this would happen?

edit - 2nd try, after about 4 minutes it went to all 3 blinking.

I reformatted the thumb drive and downloaded the drivers again and started over. Waiting now...

Edit 2 - worked, so I'm all good. Fiddled with settings and watched some content.. Looks good, nothing revolutionary, but an improvement. Despite having a 150" wide screen, medium seemed better than high.. High was very bright, almost too bright in many scenes.

LOVE that I finally have a proper anamorphic D setting.. 16:9 is correct again! Yay!

·
Registered
437 Posts
I am really amazed what the new frame adapt does to the picture. But from my brief testing yesterday I have a concern. In some scenes, seemed to be always with cloud gradients in the background. The Light level in the scene goes up and down a bit to much, with the frame adaption adjusting. I dont know how to better explain this. I can give some example scenes, however I dont have the exact h and m mark right now..

Thor Ragnarok - when Thor meets grandmaster the first time, sitting tied in the chair. The scene with grand master sitting between the two ladies arguing.

Wonderwoman - on the beach, when she dragged the pilot out of the water and says "youre a man.."

Star Wars Last Jedi - when Luke and Rey are on the cliff talking about the force, and he tickles her with the feather.

Watch these scenes, with HDR level on high, and frame by frame mode. Things get better with HDR level at medium or low, but then I think the picture seems more dull. Changing to scene by scene also makes things better, seeing the frame adaption not constantly adjusting.

Like I said this was initial testing, I will try more tonight to see if I can find a setting without issues.

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I am really amazed what the new frame adapt does to the picture. But from my brief testing yesterday I have a concern. In some scenes, seemed to be always with cloud gradients in the background. The Light level in the scene goes up and down a bit to much, with the frame adaption adjusting. I dont know how to better explain this. I can give some example scenes, however I dont have the exact h and m mark right now..

Thor Ragnarok - when Thor meets grandmaster the first time, sitting tied in the chair. The scene with grand master sitting between the two ladies arguing.

Wonderwoman - on the beach, when she dragged the pilot out of the water and says "youre a man.."

Star Wars Last Jedi - when Luke and Rey are on the cliff talking about the force, and he tickles her with the feather.

Watch these scenes, with HDR level on high, and frame by frame mode. Things get better with HDR level at medium or low, but then I think the picture seems more dull. Changing to scene by scene also makes things better, seeing the frame adaption not constantly adjusting.

Like I said this was initial testing, I will try more tonight to see if I can find a setting without issues.

Skickat från min SM-G973F via Tapatalk
cloud gradients as in posteurisation/banding effect ? check that mpc is switched off ? this was a problem with even older JVC... I particularly remember the wonder woman scene on the beach and through the smoke on my x7000... am pretty sure even posted a picture of it on this forum to be advised to switch off MPC... likely impacting the same here.

·
Registered
397 Posts
cloud gradients as in posteurisation/banding effect ? check that mpc is switched off ? this was a problem with even older JVC... I particularly remember the wonder woman scene on the beach and through the smoke on my x7000... am pretty sure even posted a picture of it on this forum to be advised to switch off MPC... likely impacting the same here.
Wasn't that CMD?

·
Registered
437 Posts
No its not the MPC, I have all those settings to OFF. I mean that the gradients make the frame adapt go a bit crazy, adjusting the light level up and down (which is the light output for the whole of the picture). Kind of hard to explain but I hope you understand how I mean. It just looked weird and not right.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
No its not the MPC, I have all those settings to OFF. I mean that the gradients make the frame adapt go a bit crazy, adjusting the light level up and down (which is the light output for the whole of the picture). Kind of hard to explain but I hope you understand how I mean. It just looked weird and not right.
CMD ? :D motion control ?

shouldn't be seeing gradients in first place ?

·
Registered
437 Posts
CMD ? :D motion control ?

shouldn't be seeing gradients in first place ?
I am describing the gradient part wrong :D and yes I mean MPC (too early in the morning here :D ) I dont mean posterization gradients, but more like all the different light and grey shifts in the cloud and sky area. Seemed to make the frame adapt go a bit crazy in those scenes. I am curious if other get the same result in these scenes, with the setting on HDR level High and frame by frame mode.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
I am describing the gradient part wrong :D and yes I mean MPC (too early in the morning here :D ) I dont mean posterization gradients, but more like all the different light and grey shifts in the cloud and sky area. Seemed to make the frame adapt go a bit crazy in those scenes. I am curious if other get the same result in these scenes, with the setting on HDR level High and frame by frame mode.
ah I see ... no worries .... :)

I see what mean...quite a bit of dynamic range in the picture ? perhaps as you say scene by scene is better choice here and high maybe just too much good thing :)

I cant wait to watch the movie myself ... been while since seen it :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
The following remark is mentioned on the firmware update version 3.1:

The "Pin cushion correction" function cannot be used after executing this upgrade.
If you continue to use "Pin cushion correction" function please use "v2.10" firmware.

Can you please explain what Pin cushion is?

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
9,039 Posts

The "Pin cushion correction" function cannot be used after executing this upgrade.
If you continue to use "Pin cushion correction" function please use "v2.10" firmware.

It's that horrible digital correction for not having your screen plumb on the wall. No one should ever use pincushion or keystone.
Pincushion is that effect where say the middle of the screen is closer to the lens than the edges so it sort of looks like a fluffed pillow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It's that horrible digital correction for not having your screen plumb on the wall. No one should ever use pincushion or keystone.
Pincushion is that effect where say the middle of the screen is closer to the lens than the edges so it sort of looks like a fluffed pillow.
Thanks.
How that could happan?

·
Banned
4,171 Posts
Thanks.

How that could happan?
It your wall framing wasn't true then hanging drywall accentuates the unevenness. Two sheets of drywall butting up against each other right at dead center of the center of you screen ,with tape and spackle making the seam protrude out further from the wall, would exaggerate the unevenness of the wall. That is why a true wall is very important. Especially right where the screen will be hung.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
29,717 Posts

Pincushion correction is like keystone correction in a projector. A feature that should not be used. But its purpose is for those that have a horizontal expansion lens, a flat screen and a shorter throw. The shorter the throw, the worse the pincushion gets. Pincushion correction was designed to correct the curvature in the image. But like keystone, it comes at a cost. The correct way to correct for pincushion with a horizontal expansion lens is to use a curved screen.

Also you can get pincushion in an image due to a defect in the lens. Many people have posted pictures of their projector image, where the bottom of the image bows up some in the middle.

Attachments

321 - 340 of 1014 Posts