AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 1014 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi. It's more like 26FL in low lamp, but since DTM has to actively dim the image to extract the proper highlights, that number can go down significantly depending on content.

Your NX9's lens/the additional brightness may be saving the day there. :)
I have around 20-23fL and I find HDR with DTM is amazing. SDR targets around 16fL for the max, and even lower for the "normal" content, so it doesn't take a lot of brightness to make the regular parts of your image look plenty bright, and that leaves a lot of brightness for the highlights.

With DTM, I think you can have HDR that is "better than SDR" around 18-22 fL where you needed around 30fL on the old static tone maps a year ago. You may not get eye searing highlights, but do you really need it to hurt to look good?

·
Registered
68 Posts
It's even a bigger winner with AI upscaling.
Just sent back the 2019 Shield because of two things.
1. They said 25% increase in performance over my 2017 model. Not true they are the same.
2. AI Does work but very few programs I watch are 30 fps. The increase in the AI is there but you would have to have shown by the dual slider or you would not see it.

·
Registered
920 Posts
It will......once you see DTM via MadVR you will wonder how you persisted with "Static" Curves...:)
I have been playing around with MadVR tonight and I have 1 word - AMAZING!!!!!

I am not even sure if I have it setup 100% the way I want it yet but its light years ahead of custom curves.

For my static curves I run in the HDR input at -4 with the DI off due to pumping. With MadVR I am able to run at -12 with the DI enabled and get those amazing fade to blacks! Not even sure how this is possible but I am loving it!

I am currently using the Kodi DSPlayer so I am not sure if I should be using a different media player for better results?

·
Registered
920 Posts
Yep, If you havnt seen HDR done via MadVR,s DTM .....you are missing out big time! :)
The only issue I had was at the beginning of Jonh Wick 2 where they pan over the city. No matter what settings I seem to use it bring the 2060 to its knees and the video is very choppy. Anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
967 Posts
The only issue I had was at the beginning of Jonh Wick 2 where they pan over the city. No matter what settings I seem to use it bring the 2060 to its knees and the video is very choppy. Anyone else have this issue?
There is madvr player thread and such to get some good answers on it there. You need to be careful about some settings because the dropped frames is what is making it choppy because the card can't handle it. Look in the HTPC thread under video components.

Reactions: coxy2416

·
Registered
920 Posts
There is madvr player thread and such to get some good answers on it there. You need to be careful about some settings because the dropped frames is what is making it choppy because the card can't handle it. Look in the HTPC thread under video components.
Will do. I have a 2060 and essentially everything turned off and its still can't handle it. The city scape is just too much for the card to handle. I have 15 days to try it out and return it if I decide I want a beefier card. But if its the only movie that has issues then I won't even worry about it. It is like 10 seconds and then its back to normal.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
Hi. It's more like 26FL in low lamp, but since DTM has to actively dim the image to extract the proper highlights, that number can go down significantly depending on content.

Your NX9's lens/the additional brightness may be saving the day there. :)
hey aztar, no nx9 here :D just a n7 :) i do run a smaller screen vs shorter throw likely though achieving the higher output.

but 26FL should still be enough am thinking to run either med to high ? i think from memory kris was suggesting high with 22FL ? with certain material so med to high suspect enough ? if running 26fl in low lamp id just bump the DTM to med to high and see what happens ?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Will do. I have a 2060 and essentially everything turned off and its still can't handle it. The city scape is just too much for the card to handle. I have 15 days to try it out and return it if I decide I want a beefier card. But if its the only movie that has issues then I won't even worry about it. It is like 10 seconds and then its back to normal.
What are your render times ? Press 'ctrl J" while video is playing . You want a max of around 36-38ms to give you a little headroom.:)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
This is not right.

I have the 2060 and I just played this scene. I have every tone mapping option on, high quality dithering, Chroma scaling NGU AA medium, SSIM2D 100% downscaling, and no "trade quality for performance" options checked and This scene plays perfectly smooth staying just under 30ms rendering time.

Your problem is not your GPU power.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
There's more difference in bulb variance than there is actual output differences between the models.
With DTM, I think you can have HDR that is "better than SDR" around 18-22 fL where you needed around 30fL on the old static tone maps a year ago. You may not get eye searing highlights, but do you really need it to hurt to look good?
hey aztar, no nx9 here :D just a n7 :) i do run a smaller screen vs shorter throw likely though achieving the higher output.

but 26FL should still be enough am thinking to run either med to high ? i think from memory kris was suggesting high with 22FL ? with certain material so med to high suspect enough ? if running 26fl in low lamp id just bump the DTM to med to high and see what happens ?
Thanks to everyone for your helpful points. So I went back and checked actual numbers and here's the update: I ran a check with my i1dis3 and found green was the culprit ...was deficient as a result of a sub-par calibration I had done myself previously and likely due to poor meter placement. I suppose as my lamp stabilized, it made things worse. I re-calibrated the PJ and now I'm good to go until I get a professional calibration done. DTM medium now looks really good once again.

·
Registered
920 Posts
What are your render times ? Press 'ctrl J" while video is playing . You want a max of around 36-38ms to give you a little headroom.:)
This is not right.

I have the 2060 and I just played this scene. I have every tone mapping option on, high quality dithering, Chroma scaling NGU AA medium, SSIM2D 100% downscaling, and no "trade quality for performance" options checked and This scene plays perfectly smooth staying just under 30ms rendering time.

Your problem is not your GPU power.
Thanks for letting me know as I will have to figure out what it is. What nvidia driver are you using? I just downloaded the newest version when I installed the card. Are there any setting in the Nvidia Control Panel I should be changing as I haven't touched or changed any of them.

I am also using this on an older gaming desktop with which I believe is an i7-4770K, 16 gigs of ram that I built 6 years ago. Any time I check the task manager when the movie is playing the CPU is usually around %50-60 usage for Kodi and the GPU around 75% usage. I wasn't expecting so much CPU usage as I thought this was generally GPU based. I never checked it when I was playing that scene in John Wick. Generally my render time are around 35 but I may have seen that spike into the 50's but I was playing around a lot in the settings so that may have happened when I had something extra turned on. I am currently using Kodi with DSPlayer.

I would watch most movies and check for drop frames and they seemed to be 0 unless I fast forwarded and then it could drop frames. Well that is the way it was until I got to John Wick :eek:

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thanks for letting me know as I will have to figure out what it is. What nvidia driver are you using? I just downloaded the newest version when I installed the card. Are there any setting in the Nvidia Control Panel I should be changing as I haven't touched or changed any of them.

I am also using this on an older gaming desktop with which I believe is an i7-4770K, 16 gigs of ram that I built 6 years ago. Any time I check the task manager when the movie is playing the CPU is usually around %50-60 usage for Kodi and the GPU around 75% usage. I wasn't expecting so much CPU usage as I thought this was generally GPU based. I never checked it when I was playing that scene in John Wick. Generally my render time are around 35 but I may have seen that spike into the 50's but I was playing around a lot in the settings so that may have happened when I had something extra turned on. I am currently using Kodi with DSPlayer.

I would watch most movies and check for drop frames and they seemed to be 0 unless I fast forwarded and then it could drop frames. Well that is the way it was until I got to John Wick :eek:
There shouldn't be any problems with the newest driver.

Set your video decoder to D3D11 Native (Automatic).

Go in the nVidia control panel, in Manage 3D settings and Global Settings, and set Vertical sync to On and set Maximum pre-rendered frames to 3.

This helps my 2060 maintain smooth playback.

·
Registered
920 Posts

There shouldn't be any problems with the newest driver.

Set your video decoder to D3D11 Native (Automatic).

Go in the nVidia control panel, in Manage 3D settings and Global Settings, and set Vertical sync to On and set Maximum pre-rendered frames to 3.

This helps my 2060 maintain smooth playback.
That has fixed the issue and and all movies are playing with no frame loss.

But here is the next issue I am having:

No matter what settings I use in MadVR the video just doesn't look sharp, its kind of looks like it is out of focus when playing it through Kodi. If I load the same movie up on the Nvidia Shield every thing looks crisp and sharp. Its almost like it looks like 1080 on MadVR and 4K on the Shield.

Any ideas on this?

·
Registered
1,780 Posts

No matter what settings I use in MadVR the video just doesn't look sharp, its kind of looks like it is out of focus when playing it through Kodi. If I load the same movie up on the Nvidia Shield every thing looks crisp and sharp. Its almost like it looks like 1080 on MadVR and 4K on the Shield.

Any ideas on this?
This I have no idea. Maybe send us the ctrl+j madVR output?

·
Registered
920 Posts

Any ideas on this?
This I have no idea. Maybe send us the ctrl+j madVR output?
I will have to take a Ctrl J picture next time I have the projector running. Here are the settings I have in MadVR, most things are turned off while I was trouble shooting the issue.

Not sure what is going on as it just looks out of focus. I actually checked the focus on the projector as I thought it may have drifted but all was good.

One other thing to note is that I would say all the dark scenes look fantastic while the brighter scenes look a little to bright, maybe a bit blown out, kind of like I want to turn down the brightness but I am already at -12 on the iris. The only HDR setting I have played around with is the (min target/real display peak nits) which is currently set to 60.

Attachments

961 - 980 of 1014 Posts