AVS Forum banner

101 - 120 of 1014 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
In my opinion, the functioning for HDR will be very similar but not the same. Lumagen/Envy they offer much more however, the comparison will be very interesting.

·
Registered
984 Posts
In my opinion, the functioning for HDR will be very similar but not the same. Lumagen/Envy they offer much more however, the comparison will be very interesting.
Will be shocked if the Frame Adapt comes that close to the Lumagen or Envy. There is not enough horse power in the projector. Don't get me wrong, I saw it at Cedia and it is a nice addition and most people will say it is great and good enough to not spend 5K to improve the picture. I could tell on Dragons 2 that they were showing the difference from when I play it a home.

But I am running a 2070 card at 96% on HDR movies with MadVR and yes the picture is amazing. You don't have that horsepower in a projector now.

My plan right now is to use it for streaming and MadVR for any discs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Lumagen/Envy they offer much more than Frame Adapt HDR, they have more horsepower. But what i mean by my post i would like to see a comparison. And I think this will interest more people here on the forum.

Personally, I am a big fan of MadVR for they innovation and for trying to succeed in this world.

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
I am VERY curious to see a good comparison when this FW hits. It will be interesting to see how close (or not) JVCs implementation gets to the big boys. If it can get at least 70% of the way there with no side effects, that will be good enough for the vast majority including myself.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I am VERY curious to see a good comparison when this FW hits. It will be interesting to see how close (or not) JVCs implementation gets to the big boys. If it can get at least 70% of the way there with no side effects, that will be good enough for the vast majority including myself.
I agree. While there will always be a following for the ultra-high end processing that is provided by MadVR and Lumagen, this should be a real boon for most JVC owners. You have to admit that after spending money on theater treatments, high end projection screen, high quality audio components, speakers, subwoofers and expensive projectors, it is kind of nice to get 90 percent of the way to nirvana with a free firmware update as opposed to spending another $5K - $10K on video processors.

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
I agree. While there will always be a following for the ultra-high end processing that is provided by MadVR and Lumagen, this should be a real boon for most JVC owners. You have to admit that after spending money on theater treatments, high end projection screen, high quality audio components, speakers, subwoofers and expensive projectors, it is kind of nice to get 90 percent of the way to nirvana with a free firmware update as opposed to spending another $5K - $10K on video processors.
Exactly and well said! :cool:

·
Registered
29,395 Posts
That is along the lines of what I told JVC at CEDIA, when trying to get them to connect up the Envy to the RS3000 for a comparison. JVC did not have to win. All they had to do is look respectful in the comparison, since theirs was free with the projector. But I could not get them to do it. I can understand why. Once you have a system working for demo, you general do not want to mess with it and take a chance of messing something up. Does not make for a good look. :)

·
Registered
984 Posts
That is along the lines of what I told JVC at CEDIA, when trying to get them to connect up the Envy to the RS3000 for a comparison. JVC did not have to win. All they had to do is look respectful in the comparison, since theirs was free with the projector. But I could not get them to do it. I can understand why. Once you have a system working for demo, you general do not want to mess with it and take a chance of messing something up. Does not make for a good look. :)
What they should have done which is more in line to reality is hook up a 9000 panni and did a comparison between that and the new DTM.

If it blows that away then people will be real happy. Again the Envy and Lumagen do a lot more things and PQ items than the DTM does.

·
Registered
16,887 Posts
I can certainly understand them not wanting to do it for the reason you mentioned! I just had this happen recently after making a few very small system changes. When I was done making the changes, I no longer had audio from my Panasonic 820 for some odd reason. :confused: Got it all working eventually, but I still dont know why it happened or even what I did exactly to fix it.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
What they should have done which is more in line to reality is hook up a 9000 panni and did a comparison between that and the new DTM.

If it blows that away then people will be real happy. Again the Envy and Lumagen do a lot more things and PQ items than the DTM does.
Looking at the pictures that Craig posted it is close to the same thing. I don't know if they used the 9000 Panasonic but they did have a blu-ray source playing The MEG and showed comparisons switching between auto-tone mapping and frame by frame tone mapping. There was a huge difference in that HDR auto tone mapping blew out the highlights and detail while the advanced frame tone mapping preserved the detail and color. I thought it looked pretty convincing from the screen shots that Craig posted.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Looking at the pictures that Craig posted it is close to the same thing. I don't know if they used the 9000 Panasonic but they did have a blu-ray source playing The MEG and showed comparisons switching between auto-tone mapping and frame by frame tone mapping. There was a huge difference in that HDR auto tone mapping blew out the highlights and detail while the advanced frame tone mapping preserved the detail and color. I thought it looked pretty convincing from the screen shots that Craig posted.
If you watch the video and I can confirm from what I saw, you will see they used the HDR10 settings not the Panni settings that JVC has so it was not a comparison to that.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
If you watch the video and I can confirm from what I saw, you will see they used the HDR10 settings not the Panni settings that JVC has so it was not a comparison to that.
I understand what you are saying but honestly even though I have used the Panni settings with my RS3000, I prefer to double tone map. I set the Panni to tone map down to 350 nits and then turn on tone mapping on the RS3000. It seems to be better than just using the Panni gamma setting. Kris Deering advocates the same settings.

So if advanced frame tone mapping is doing a more accurate job than standard fixed HDR auto tone mapping then that is all I am really concerned with.

·
Registered
29,395 Posts
An Oppo 203 was used for the demo. Oppo will send source direct.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Still no link to Craigs photos? Are they a secret or did I miss something? :D

·
Registered
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | B&W 802D3, HTM1D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
8,801 Posts
Just another in many ways I am glad I went the JVC route. I am sure Sony will be working even harder on this however JVC will be months ahead and can keep making it better.

On a side note was just watching some of Lucy with MadVR. It really pisses me off because now I may need to come up with 5-10K soon. Dang just unbelievable compared to the Panny etc. It will be fun comparing it to the new JVC firmware.
You have madVR working, it will continue working. Why do you need envy in that case? :)

101 - 120 of 1014 Posts