AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Different iris settings require different colour Autocal, but the same gamma calibration.

it’s best to use 1080p as input. Some JVC models produce wrong results with 4K input.
Thanks, I don't intend using autocal for colours, I will do that sesperately using a better meter. So I'm good to go with just the one gamma cal then ?.

·
Registered
10,045 Posts
I would think that the Spyder Xpress should be fine for gamma only. Google NX7 JVC calibration and you will find quite a bit of information on a different forum. I don't think I am allowed to post the link.
Do you mean the thread started by Manni on the other AVScience web site? Or is there a more definitive source of discussion?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi , i am new to auto cal and had actually did some calibration to my x5900, both normal and HDR profile, by using oppo to input video source while calibrating, both i set to gamma+color 33 steps calibration, however after saving the results i discovered its had impact on my HDR gamma setting which is ST2084, its become darker and some shadow details was gone, then i try the int backup file to restore , its seems pull up the ST2084 gamma but still not as bright as the factory setting ,
i need to know will it back to factory setting after i did the reset from the service menu, or i just doing some gamma setting or redo all over the auto cal process again. Thanks and really hoping that someone could help me out here.

btw i am using spyder X5 pro .

regards
jon

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Gamma Autocal corrects the gamma “droop” so It is to be expected that running Autocal will make the image darker.
Restoring the Init backup will undo all the autocals you did, so the gamma should be the same as before you ran Autocal. Sometimes you may need to restart the JVC to see the effects.
You can do a factory reset in addition to restoring the Init, but I doubt it will make things any brighter.

BTW, there is a more recent thread for autocal of 2015+ models:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gamma Autocal corrects the gamma “droop” so It is to be expected that running Autocal will make the image darker.
Restoring the Init backup will undo all the autocals you did, so the gamma should be the same as before you ran Autocal. Sometimes you may need to restart the JVC to see the effects.
You can do a factory reset in addition to restoring the Init, but I doubt it will make things any brighter.

BTW, there is a more recent thread for autocal of 2015+ models:
Ok thanks will try look into it, anyway is there any other setting that could help a bit, many thanks.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Ran autocal today on the N7, I’m guessing when gamma only calibration has finished it’s automatically uploaded to the projector ?.

gamma now measuring close to 2.4 When 2.3 is selected for SDR. Did a quick Greyscale adjustment using i1D3 and ChromaPure afterwards and had this result. Not perfect but looks more accurate than ootb settings.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ran autocal today on the N7, I’m guessing when gamma only calibration has finished it’s automatically uploaded to the projector ?.
The change is only permanently commited when you click on SAVE, it's uploaded at the end of the run but not committed, otherwise you could not abort the run in case you don't like the result ( logs ).

·
Registered
636 Posts
The change is only permanently commited when you click on SAVE, it's uploaded at the end of the run but not committed, otherwise you could not abort the run in case you don't like the result ( logs ).
Thanks for the reply, pretty lonely in here now!. things are looking excellent so far!.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Thanks for the reply, pretty lonely in here now!
This thread is for the older models. More relevant information is in this thread:
There is also a thread on native 4K models, but on a different site.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Hi Folks. Two questions:
1) My JVC creates two init files when running autocal. One when I performed the first Gamma only calibration, and the second when I ran the first color only calibration. I presume that is normal and will allow me to back out of the color calibrations without having to redo the gamma calibrations. Is that correct?

2) Since my sources are HDR only anyway (Apple TV and Panny UB820), what color profile are you selecting for your filter and non-filter gamma calibrations? Currently I am using HDR for non-filter, and BT2020 for filter. Does that get me where I would need to be?

‘Note, I was not happy with the results of my attempt at playing with Autocal. If backing out of the color only calibrations does yield a satisfactory result, I would rather run it with OOTB calibration until I can get Kris Deering here for a pro job (once the new firmware is released and I have a 100 hours on it). I thought it looked quite good OOTB.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Hi Folks. Two questions:
As mentioned in post 1055 just above, this thread is for the old (pre-2015) models.

1) My JVC creates two init files when running autocal. One when I performed the first Gamma only calibration, and the second when I ran the first color only calibration. I presume that is normal and will allow me to back out of the color calibrations without having to redo the gamma calibrations. Is that correct?
This is rather unusual. There’ normally only one INIT file. Were you using the same version of autocal for the two runs? Are the two INIT files located in the same folder?

2) Since my sources are HDR only anyway (Apple TV and Panny UB820), what color profile are you selecting for your filter and non-filter gamma calibrations? Currently I am using HDR for non-filter, and BT2020 for filter. Does that get me where I would need to be?
It doesn’t matter much which profile you use for gamma calibration, as long as you cover profiles with and without the filter. However, it’s easier to verify the results if you use gamma 2.2 rather than ST.2084.
‘Note, I was not happy with the results of my attempt at playing with Autocal. If backing out of the color only calibrations does yield a satisfactory result, I would rather run it with OOTB calibration until I can get Kris Deering here for a pro job (once the new firmware is released and I have a 100 hours on it). I thought it looked quite good OOTB.
If the results are unsatisfactory, I would restore using the first INIT file. It’s unclear what the second file contains.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Are you sure they were both INIT files?

Autocal always dumps the calibration when you run it, but the INIT file only comes out the first time. After that are user profile backups files.

What are the file names?

My INIT file's name was: 00000000_Init_2019-0318-1904.cbd

Where 00000000 was my unit's serial number.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Correct. Both were init files. Based on time, the first created at First gamma only. The second, at first color only. Never ran a combined.

Last night Restored the original, so I move forward with a fresh start,

Are you sure they were both INIT files?

Autocal always dumps the calibration when you run it, but the INIT file only comes out the first time. After that are user profile backups files.

What are the file names?

My INIT file's name was: 00000000_Init_2019-0318-1904.cbd

Where 00000000 was my unit's serial number.

1041 - 1060 of 1088 Posts