AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1088 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
I realize that most of the discussion has focused on the newer models. I have a RS4910 and having issue with the auto-cal not calibrating the green primary correctly as it is always shifted to yellow and I cannot calibrate it out. It seems that there is something wrong with the native gamut. I think this has been a problem in previous JVCs, like the x55. Does anybody know about this and more importantly, how to resolve it? Perhaps a firmware update or something else in the service menu? I've posted my calibration results. The pre-calibration is before auto-cal. The post is after Autocal and manual calibration.

Pre-calibration:

Pre-calibration.jpg

Post-calibration:

Post-calibration.jpg

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
I realize that most of the discussion has focused on the newer models. I have a RS4910 and having issue with the auto-cal not calibrating the green primary correctly as it is always shifted to yellow and I cannot calibrate it out. It seems that there is something wrong with the native gamut. I think this has been a problem in previous JVCs, like the x55. Does anybody know about this and more importantly, how to resolve it? Perhaps a firmware update or something else in the service menu? I've posted my calibration results. The pre-calibration is before auto-cal. The post is after Autocal and manual calibration.

Pre-calibration:

View attachment 3030820

Post-calibration:

View attachment 3030821
PLEASE do not crosspost. It wastes the time of those who try to help.

This is a limitation of the projector and cannot be “fixed” by calibration. As a rule, calibration cannot push the gamut beyond the native gamut of the display itself. Even some of the current model JVC projectors cannot reach the green target without using a colour filter. This is the native gamut of the DLA-X570 I had (one of the worst cases; may depend on the lamp):

·
Registered
152 Posts
PLEASE do not crosspost. It wastes the time of those who try to help.

This is a limitation of the projector and cannot be “fixed” by calibration. As a rule, calibration cannot push the gamut beyond the native gamut of the display itself. Even some of the current model JVC projectors cannot reach the green target without using a colour filter. This is the native gamut of the DLA-X570 I had (one of the worst cases; may depend on the lamp):
View attachment 3030835
Thanks for the reply. I suppose that it is simply unit to unit variation that explains why some rs4910s and x500s have a proper green?

Also, is this what is added to the upper models like the x700/x900? Do they have the ability to use the filter?

Finally, are there after market filters that could serve this purpose?

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I suppose that it is simply unit to unit variation that explains why some rs4910s and x500s have a proper green?

Also, is this what is added to the upper models like the x700/x900? Do they have the ability to use the filter?

Finally, are there after market filters that could serve this purpose?
With the upper models you can create a custom Rec. 709 colour profile that engages the colour filter.

·
Registered
602 Posts
With my NX5 at 80hr., I did a few gamma with Spyder X pro ( brand new) and color calibration with i1 Pro2 ( used), the color temp is below 6400K. SDR at natural iris -15 low lamp and manual with 6500K. HDR at HDR setting. How to get closer to 6500K if possible?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
What is the Color Temp setting for the HDR10 Picture Mode? Are the Gain controls all in their default position (0)?
There may be nothing you can do, short of touching up manually after Autocal.
BTW, this thread is for the really old models. There’s a new thread for the 2015+ models.

·
Registered
602 Posts
What is the Color Temp setting for the HDR10 Picture Mode? Are the Gain controls all in their default position (0)?
There may be nothing you can do, short of touching up manually after Autocal.
BTW, this thread is for the really old models. There’s a new thread for the 2015+ models.
Thanks Dominic, I thought this thread is for color autocal for all models. Yes, all gain controls at default. The Color Temp setting is HDR10 6500K.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Thanks Dominic, I thought this thread is for color autocal for all models. Yes, all gain controls at default. The Color Temp setting is HDR10 6500K.
To get closer to D65 you have to manually fine-tune the RGB gains.

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
I did it too and then did a Gamma and colorcal, then the temp gone up to 6800K
I’m not quite sure what you mean. If you start with Autocal and then fine-tune it manually, you should be able to get exactly D65 within the granularity of the adjustment steps.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I’m not quite sure what you mean. If you start with Autocal and then fine-tune it manually, you should be able to get exactly D65 within the granularity of the adjustment steps.
What I mean after I fine-tune it manually to get D65, I , then, did another Autocal. Should I not do that? Because using user1 to play around with, I did an Autocal using user1 after fine-tuning, the temp jump to D6800

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
The primary colour (e.g., red), white point and the secondary colour (cyan in this example) are in a straight line, so adjusting the white point may have an impact on the secondary. However, you should check the effect by measuring the colours, not by re-running autocal.
There is no effect on the gamma.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The primary colour (e.g., red), white point and the secondary colour (cyan in this example) are in a straight line, so adjusting the white point may have an impact on the secondary. However, you should check the effect by measuring the colours, not by re-running autocal.
There is no effect on the gamma.
Thanks again (y)(y)

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Hi Guys how did I do?
I added a new bulb after 75 hrs I decided to do an auto cal for gamma with the Spyder 5 on my NX9.
I then did a full SDR to calibration with calman and a profile i1 Display from a i1Pro.
Here are my results. How did I do?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi all,
Im using the Spyder 5 Express and attempting to do the Autocal on DLA-X5900, but every time i run it, the results all show up as "ERROR" and whilst running the autocal, all x y values are 0.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks

·
Registered
9,309 Posts
Hi all,
Im using the Spyder 5 Express and attempting to do the Autocal on DLA-X5900, but every time i run it, the results all show up as "ERROR" and whilst running the autocal, all x y values are 0.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks
Is the sensor cover removed? Was the sensor shown within the box shown by Autocal?

1061 - 1080 of 1088 Posts