Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been looking at getting a new TV to replace my 17 year old 27" NEC monitor (still looks pretty good after warming up for 30 minutes).

Anyway, like so many, I've been going back and forth, HDTV vs. Analag, 4:3 vs 16:9, Tube vs. everything else.

I've decided that non-tube technology doesn't meet my standards for image display, so I'm definitely going with a tube. I've also decided to go with 4:3, since most content is still in that format (we watch regular TV in addition to movies, more TV than movies today). Ok, that narrows it down. Now, HDTV or Analog.

Well, I saw the new JVC I'Art AV-36DF74 at my local GoodGuys store. Let me tell you, it does analog to 1080i scaling so well, you can't tell it's analog being displayed on HDTV! It blows away Sony XBR DRC v1 (at least for cable TV signals at GoodGuys). In fact, analog on the JVC looks better than analog on Sony's excellent analog KV-32FV310.

But...this JVC has pronounced red push. I couldn't find a way to get rid of the red push using the "normal" adjustments via the remote. Does anyone know how I might get access to the service menu for this monitor? I'd love to see how this image would look if I could get the red just right! The JVC website has no information regarding this monitor, so I thought somebody out there may have experienced this, and could offer some help.

It seems like everything else on this monitor is fantastic...except for that blasted red push.

Ideas???

Thanks.

Mike :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mike,

I am also looking at the 36" HD capable 's (and I also have a 17 year old NEC tv - still looks great even without warming up - but I believe it is 26").

In addition to being told by my domestic supervisor that "you are not going to spend more than $2000 on a TV", I agree that the new rear projection technologies are not ready. A few more years and they will improve (more reliable & 1080P?) and come down in price, with more 16:9 material to watch on them.

Along with the JVC I looked at the Panasonic CT-36HL43, Sony KV-36HS510, and Toshiba 36HF73. I am finding it almost impossible to judge picture quality by looking at them in the big box stores. They are all mis-adjusted and are getting a lousy signal and the fluorescent lighting doesn't help. The sales staff at these places seem to know next to nothing about the tv's they are selling "DVI? Svideo is the best way to hook up your equipment" etc.

JVC is new to HD and I've had mixed experiences with other JVC components. Sounds like Panasonic has had problems with quality and reliability with there HD sets. I hate the big curve cosmetics of the Sony and also its alot heavier than the others. So I'm leaning to the Toshiba. I like the cosmetics the best and they seem to have a good reliability / quality record.

Keith

·
Registered
250 Posts
I just purchased the 36-DF74 from Good Guys today and am waiting for it to arrive at their store on Tuedsay. From all my research and careful examination of the set in person, I have to say it's the best direct view monitor I've ever seen! Even better than the Sony 40" XBR800. I didn't notice too much red push, but I too would like to know how to access the service menu for further tweaking. When I pick up the set on Tuesday and set it up, I'll let you know how it goes.

-Greg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Greg,

That sounds great. I'm looking forward to finding out how well adjusted your JVC is out-of-the-box, especially the color. Also looking forward to how you access the service menu.

I'll keep an eye out for your post!

Mike

·
Registered
250 Posts
Hmm, a little late with my post, sorry...

The JVC is a wonderful piece of technology. After messing around with it for about a week, I can safely say that I absolutely love this set. There was some red push, but it was easily taken care of through the service menu. Color reproduction is excellent, and the sets upconversion to 1080i is definetely the best I've ever seen. It actually makes cable TV watchable! I was amazed at how well it interpolated and scaled my crummy cable to 1080i, and made it look good! Access to the service menu is done the same as the older JVC's like my AV-32D501:

Press 'Sleep Timer' and then press the 'Display' and 'Video Status' buttons simultaneously. Set the Video Status to 'Standard' mode before making any adjustments. I turned down the red by setting "S08 R-Y 007" to 000. That worked fairly well in reducing the reds. Other than that, I just made some geometry corrections in the service menu, although I couldn't get it 100% perfect, but then again, no large flat tube is.

A few minor adjustments through the regular menus for the "Theater Pro" mode, and the set looks beautiful.

Highly recommended.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
When I look at goodguys.com, I can't find any of these sets.

Is there some marketing rule preventing them from being sold online? Or does goodguys no longer sell them?

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Greg,

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply about your experience with the JVC. I'm glad to hear you were able to get rid of the red push. Maybe I'll get a chance to use your service mode instructions with the set at my local GoodGuys, so I can see it properly adjusted before I purchase.

mflaster,

This is a brand new JVC model recently introduced. It showed up at my local GoodGuys store just about 3 weeks ago. I don't believe GG sells these via their online store (who knows why for sure). I don't know what your local GG store has, but you may want to speak with the floor manager about this model.

Thanks again to Greg for his real-world experience, it's the best kind to hear about!

Mike

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Unfortunately, to get to my local GG, I have to take a plane... :)

Sears lists it online, but I don't think my local store has it in stock. I'll have to go check it out.

Mike

·
Registered
920 Posts
Does this TV support native 480p display? Or will it upconvert EVERYTHING to 1080i? If so, does 1080i look flickery compared to 480p? I want to see this TV in action... looks like the only local retailer is Sears. I sure hope they have it on display!

·
Registered
17 Posts
On my 32DF74 1080i is smooth. I'm using DVI for DVD's, HDTV with component and 720P xbox games with component. 480p Xbox games and my kid's fullscreen DVD's look fine. I think 480p is not being converted to 1080i eventhough it's advertised as upconverting all signals to 1080i. Perhaps only 480i, and 720p are converted but I don't have any facts to back that up - just my impression.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I've been getting real frustrated shopping for TVs lately. I think I'd be able to make the decision if they just didn't plug the sets in :rolleyes: .

Anyway, I was fairly interested in the JVCs. I haven't heard much about them, but what I have heard was nothing but praise. I went to my local GG the other day, and saw a few JVCs. In particular, I got to look at the AV-34WP84(the one the claims to upconvert everything to 1500i). Well, it was hooked up to this split RF signal, that, well, I was in shock that the TVs actually held sync. I don't think that there were more than 10 color transitions across the screen, and it was so noisy I could barely make out images. But guess what, the JVC's picture wasn't noisy at all, and the whole thing looked very smooth. Not sure what it would the image processing looks like on a good signal, but it almost made that noise blob watchable.

Can anyone comment on the D6500K mode?

What does HD look like on these things?

·
Registered
920 Posts
How straight are horizontal lines on this tube? I saw a 32" version that had quite good geometry, but that might all be lost in the 36" version. In my experience, Toshiba has the worst geometry for 36", followed by Sony, then Panasonic. Don't know where to place JVC. What stores besides Sears might have one of the 36" models on display? I'm still very nervous about seeing everything 1080i. I've heard about shimmer created when viewing 480p upscaled to 1080i. And does it upscale 720p also?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've just has this set delivered this past Saturday and am very pleased with the PQ as compared to a Sony HS510 series I tried out before. The scaling to 1081i does not make my standard DirecTV look crummy like the Sony did and my laser discs look great! Still fair to say that my previous Panasonic flat tube (analog) reproduced DirecTV better, but that is expected due to no D/A conversion/upscaling being done, but this JVC allows the sat channels to be watchable, which is more than I can say for some other HDTV-ready sets I checked into.

For those who want one, now is the time to get one. GG is closing them out for CHEAP!!! I had actually ordered mine from Sears on closeout and later saw that GG had is for significantly less in the store. I took a copy of the GG ad and had my local Sears do a price match and viola! I got it for slightly less than GG!!!

Any SM advice/assistance would be greatly appreciated. Am going to use Greg's notes to kill the red push, but would like some guidance on correcting overscan via the SM if anyone has done that.

Again, very, very pleased with how good this set is.

Matt

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.