AVS Forum banner

181 - 200 of 4669 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #181 ·
...do you think that the next generation of JVC projectors will actually have 4K and Dolby vision?
I wish I had a crystal ball :)

I think native 4K is very likely, but only if they can remain under 10K as JVC never really offered anything above that (in the consumer PJ market). Laser could be there as well, I think it will be one or the other, unlikely to be both laser and native 4K the same year.

If it's possible to implement DV on projectors - which I'm not sure it is due to the many variables like screen size, lamp mode, iris settings which impact on peak brightness - then I hope they will implement it. Hopefully the UHD Alliance will come up with a UHD Premium spec for projectors, which might help getting something closer to a HDR standard for consumer projectors (which have been complerely ignored up to now).

You should be asking this question in the main JVC thread though, as it has doesn't have much to do with the Autocal.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,904 Posts
Thank you Manni, I'm gonna have to read this a couple of times to let it sink in. I have some time before I attempt to run these calibrations as I am waiting for the Panasonic UHD player to become available. I just wish JVC would hurry up and add the Spyder 5 support, otherwise I might have to roll the dice and pick up a Spyder 4.
Greetings,

I would love to know where to pick up a Spyder 4 Pro. Haven't been able to find them anywhere..

Regards,

·
Registered
30,979 Posts

I think native 4K is very likely, but only if they can remain under 10K as JVC never really offered anything above that (in the consumer PJ market). Laser could be there as well, I think it will be one or the other, unlikely to be both laser and native 4K the same year.

If it's possible to implement DV on projectors - which I'm not sure it is due to the many variables like screen size, lamp mode, iris settings which impact on peak brightness - then I hope they will implement it. Hopefully the UHD Alliance will come up with a UHD Premium spec for projectors, which might help getting something closer to a HDR standard for consumer projectors (which have been complerely ignored up to now).

You should be asking this question in the main JVC thread though, as it has doesn't have much to do with the Autocal.
I would not be surprised if JVC offers a 4K model as a new top of the line projector to compete against something like the VW1100. Also the top of the line JVC's, up until this year were above 10K MSRP.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #184 ·
I would not be surprised if JVC offers a 4K model as a new top of the line projector to compete against something like the VW1100. Also the top of the line JVC's, up until this year were above 10K MSRP.
Yeah, I was thinking 10K in GB pounds. Never realised they went above 10K in USD though.

·
Registered
981 Posts

Manni01,

Thank you for your detailed reply. I was just wishing when I wrote my entry.
Thanks, again.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #186 ·
Greetings,

I would love to know where to pick up a Spyder 4 Pro. Haven't been able to find them anywhere..

Regards,
Hi Ralph,

The Spyder 4 Pro isn't produced anymore so the only way to get one is second hand, on ebay or maybe a third party seller on Amazon. Just make sure you can send it back if it's not accurate enough (you can compare it to your C6 using Calman), because they can be anything from very, very close to not so good and obviously a not so good one would one give you not so good results.

The Spyder 5 (which is in production) should be supported soon but it's likely to take a while, at least until the most important outstanding issues are solved in the f/w.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
You don't have to recalibrate every time you switch. But Kevin asked me if he could calibrate the rec2020 profile without touching Chad's calibration, and that's not possible. Here is why:
When you do a gamma autocalibration, either selecting gamma or gamma+colour, it recalibrates all the gamma presets in the projector, which is why you only have to run the gamma autocal once.
If you do a color only autocal selecting color only, it calibrates the selected colour profile (gamut) and the color temp at the selected iris/cmd/lamp mode settings.
Therefore, doing the color only for the rec2020 profile will also change at least the color temp at the same iris/cmd/lamp mode for chad's calibration.
You can do it, but it will touch chad's calibration.
You could select a lamp/mode, cmd and iris setting you never use, so it will change it in a way that doesn't matter.
But there is no way around the fact that you can calibrate the gamut of a profile without touching the color temp for all the calibrations at one lamp mode/iris/cmd setting.
No thanks, but thanks (for the clarification)! ;)

Could I make a backup of his calibration then do my own and compare the results (then of course restore/load his back)?

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
You just follow the instructions, calibrate once for gamma, once for each setting you use (iris, cmd, lamp mode) for color, and finally just once for each custom colour profile, be it rec2020 or rec709 or any other custom colour profile.
Does this mean that the projector only supports one auto-calibrated gamma curve? What if I want BT.1886 for rec.709 material and HDR for rec.2020 material? What's the best general use gamma curve to get the auto-cal to perform for that single gamma setting that is the most adaptable in the "regular" settings to various curves I might want for various situations? Power curves? BT.1886? HDR?

Or am I completely mis-understanding what's going on here...

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Does this mean that the projector only supports one auto-calibrated gamma curve? What if I want BT.1886 for rec.709 material and HDR for rec.2020 material? What's the best general use gamma curve to get the auto-cal to perform for that single gamma setting that is the most adaptable in the "regular" settings to various curves I might want for various situations? Power curves? BT.1886? HDR?

Or am I completely mis-understanding what's going on here...
You are completely misunderstanding, please read the first posts. :)

You only run the gamma Autocal once because it recalibrates all the presets in one pass. So you can still use 2.2 for rec-709, or Gamma D for HDR, or create a BT1886 curve from the 2.4 preset. But you can't autocal one preset without also autocaling the others.

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,904 Posts
Hi Ralph,

The Spyder 4 Pro isn't produced anymore so the only way to get one is second hand, on ebay or maybe a third party seller on Amazon. Just make sure you can send it back if it's not accurate enough (you can compare it to your C6 using Calman), because they can be anything from very, very close to not so good and obviously a not so good one would one give you not so good results.

The Spyder 5 (which is in production) should be supported soon but it's likely to take a while, at least until the most important outstanding issues are solved in the f/w.
Greetings,

Thanks Manni. I am going to borrow one for now. Once the newer model is supported I will go from there.

Regards,

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Looking to buy a meter tomorrow (found a new Spyder 4 Elite) and want to pick one up that is compatible with both JVC and Chromapure. I am a little concerned the Spyder 4 is not as accurate.

Also what is a more worthwhile effort? Use the JVC software or Chroma or both?

Sorry about the basic questions I just want to make sure I purchase the right products and this will be my first proper DIY calibration.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Manni,

Quick question: If you want to calibrate one of the user profiles by using high lamp, you only do the autocal for that particular profile, right? You don't have to do all the Phase 2 suggestions but with high lamp on right?

I plan to do a full calibration tonight.

Thanks,

Christian

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #193 ·
Manni,

Quick question: If you want to calibrate one of the user profiles by using high lamp, you only do the autocal for that particular profile, right? You don't have to do all the Phase 2 suggestions but with high lamp on right?

I plan to do a full calibration tonight.

Thanks,

Christian
Unfortunately if you use high lamp you have to do all the iris settings / CMD combinations you plan to use as well.

So if you only need high lamp iris fully open no CMD, then that's the only one you need to do, but if you want to be able to change the iris setting in high lamp (or the CMD setting) then you need to do a color only for all the variations.

It's only gamma that you only need to do once.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Unfortunately if you use high lamp you have to do all the iris settings / CMD combinations you plan to use as well.

So if you only need high lamp iris fully open no CMD, then that's the only one you need to do, but if you want to be able to change the iris setting in high lamp (or the CMD setting) then you need to do a color only for all the variations.

It's only gamma that you only need to do once.
Got it. I want to use only one custom profile for UHD BD, which is with high lamp iris fully open, CMD, gamma D and bt2020.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Gents,

Is it worth to do a ChromaPure calibration after the JVC to further correct color or anything else?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Manni,

I have your exact mb with parallels 11 and Windows 10, how are you connecting the projector to the mb?
I am using a lan cable connected to the airport express and then using network. I get connection ok but doesn't allow me to calibrate. So guessing is a connection to the projector issue.
Thanks,

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #197 ·
Gents,

Is it worth to do a ChromaPure calibration after the JVC to further correct color or anything else?

Thanks
If you have a more accurate meter than the Spyder4 it can be useful to check color temp at 100% white, create a BT1886 curve from the gamma 2.4 preset and run a 3D LUT if you have an external processor, but if your Spyder4 is accurate there is little to gain.

If you only have a Spyder 4 there is little to gain, except maybe a BT1886 gamma curve.

Manni,

I have your exact mb with parallels 11 and Windows 10, how are you connecting the projector to the mb?
I am using a lan cable connected to the airport express and then using network. I get connection ok but doesn't allow me to calibrate. So guessing is a connection to the projector issue.
Thanks,
PJ To switch to router and laptop to switch to router.

If you get a connection OK and if you can change settings on the PJ using the software (say select a different lamp mode or iris setting) the network connection is working.

Make sure you don't have iRule or anything else on an iPad trying to access the JVC at the same time, and also make sure the little Datacolor software installed when you install the drivers isn't runnning in the background. It's launched automatically and will interfere with the meter, you have to make sure it's killed from memory (delete it from the startup folder so it's never loaded in the first place).

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Thanks Manni I guess I will use it to generate reports to see if all is in order.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
If you have a more accurate meter than the Spyder4 it can be useful to check color temp at 100% white, create a BT1886 curve from the gamma 2.4 preset and run a 3D LUT if you have an external processor, but if your Spyder4 is accurate there is little to gain.

If you only have a Spyder 4 there is little to gain, except maybe a BT1886 gamma curve.

PJ To switch to router and laptop to switch to router.

If you get a connection OK and if you can change settings on the PJ using the software (say select a different lamp mode or iris setting) the network connection is working.

Make sure you don't have iRule or anything else on an iPad trying to access the JVC at the same time, and also make sure the little Datacolor software installed when you install the drivers isn't runnning in the background. It's launched automatically and will interfere with the meter, you have to make sure it's killed from memory (delete it from the startup folder so it's never loaded in the first place).
Manni,

I am using the same connections. In the settings menu when I click to test network it says OK. Then when I click either calibrate or import/export I get this message "no input signal or unsupported format. Check the input signal." What I am doing wrong. I have tried replacing cables, doing resets, etc, re-download the autocal, and still get the same message. Any ideas?

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Manni,

I am using the same connections. In the settings menu when I click to test network it says OK. Then when I click either calibrate or import/export I get this message "no input signal or unsupported format. Check the input signal." What I am doing wrong. I have tried replacing cables, doing resets, etc, re-download the autocal, and still get the same message. Any ideas?
Have you tried manually assigning an IP address? It sounds like some IP conflict.

181 - 200 of 4669 Posts