AVS Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 4389 Posts

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
How much better is the 33 point calibration using the Spyder 4 or 5 and then touching up manually with Chromapure 3 (CP3) and i1D3 vs just doing a 12 point manual calibration using just the CP3 and i1D3? What are the benefits?

As one manually touches up the 12 point cal does the 33 point cal look and work the same way? How does one get access to the 33 point cal?

Just to add a note I do not own the spyder 4 or 5 but do have CP3 and i1D3. I have also created and uploaded the AVRE curves and BT2020 into my JVC RS500.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
How much better is the 33 point calibration using the Spyder 4 or 5 and then touching up manually with Chromapure 3 (CP3) and i1D3 vs just doing a 12 point manual calibration using just the CP3 and i1D3? What are the benefits?
That depends on how well the projector interpolates between the 12 points. You can run ChromaPure in the 21 Point mode to check, although you can only adjust 12 points using manual adjustment.

The AutoCal also adjusts the gamut, in addition to the grey scale.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
That depends on how well the projector interpolates between the 12 points. You can run ChromaPure in the 21 Point mode to check, although you can only adjust 12 points using manual adjustment.

The AutoCal also adjusts the gamut, in addition to the grey scale.
Are you talking about the JVC auto cal or the Chroma Pure Auto cal?

dan

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
ChromaPure is a much better program; but, the JVC software only allows a 12 point calibration manually. The auto calibration can do 33 points, so the school of thought is to run the auto calibration and then tidy up manually.

The issue is getting the crappy Spyder sensor positioned right. You can't rely on the "guide" completely. You need to run it through and check the results and factor in the iris as well. As it closes down, you need to move closer.

It's a pain; but, if you do it right - it does give a workable result.
The bigger issue is Autcal calibrates the projector is ways you can't do manually. JVC projectors use one baseline gamma curve, and all other curves are relative to that. Autocal calibrates (or can) that baseline curve, and in the process fixes every curve on the projector (the x20/x40's might have two, one for gamma/SDR and one for ST.2084/HDR, not sure). Calibrating manually, you can only create a custom curve, and that custom curve is relative to the projector's baseline curve.

The ideal way to calibrate these JVCs is to use Autocal to bring the projector into a reasonable baseline state, and then use something like Calman/Chromapure and a reference meter to fine tune that to perfection, either with the projector controls or with a manual/custom curve on top of that baseline correction.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
thanks,
wow this is confusing. Trying to follow all the instructions on page 1, I just get more and more lost.
dan
The JVC AutoCal software is actually quite straightforward to run. Most of the complexities are with HDR and are not directly part of AutoCal. You may want to focus on SDR first, when getting into AutoCal.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
thanks,
wow this is confusing. Trying to follow all the instructions on page 1, I just get more and more lost.
dan
It sounds a lot more complicated than it is because Manni went into great detail to ensure that if you follow the instructions everything will go well.

The autocal process is basically:

• Connect Spyder to PC
  • Connect JVC to PC
  • Start the autocal software
  • Position the Spyder so that it's in the very right side of the box (basically as close to the projector as possible)
  • Run autocal
  • Save INIT file

Manni just went into great detail about how to do each of those steps.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
It sounds a lot more complicated than it is because Manni went into great detail to ensure that if you follow the instructions everything will go well.

• Connect Spyder to PC
  • Connect JVC to PC
Nice summary.
Just a clarification for autocal newbies:
The JVC to PC connection is Ethernet, not video (HDMI) as would be required for “manual” calibration.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Thanks,
that helps.
Is the INIT file generated after you run auto cal?
dan

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
yes PC is ethernet, but make sure you have an active signal to the projector when you do autocal.
by active signal, do you mean I would see some verification of a connection on the PC?
dan

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Does the auto cal also calibrate contrast and brightness, or do I have to do that at some point
dan

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I assumed that the spyder would be looking at a white screen
How is it going to measure with a movie playing

thinking about this, perhaps in the calibration mode it replaces the input with the white screen

Reactions: nathan_h

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The JVC AutoCal software is actually quite straightforward to run. Most of the complexities are with HDR and are not directly part of AutoCal. You may want to focus on SDR first, when getting into AutoCal.
thanks, One good answer unfortunately leads to another question
For SDR (BluRay) can it be scaled up to 4k and eShift activated when I run auto call (focusing on SDR like you suggested)

dan

·
Registered
192 Posts

• Connect Spyder to PC
  • Connect JVC to PC
  • Start the autocal software
  • Position the Spyder so that it's in the very right side of the box (basically as close to the projector as possible)
  • Run autocal
  • Save INIT file

Manni just went into great detail about how to do each of those steps.
I just want to add that even with these instructions, the process is still confusing due to the way the software interacts with the projector and the meter. The software has you set up the meter's position first and then takes you into settings that you can adjust that will cause havoc with the meters position (like iris and lamp). So, I recommend setting those controls BEFORE you get past the positioning window on your way to the settings adjustment.

I was using my geared tripod head that allows for very precise adjustments and found that a change in any x/y/z position of the meter could yield different results. If the meter is overloaded with photons (too close), the auto calibration goes haywire. If the meter is undersaturated (too far back), the auto calibration gives bad results especially at the low end. Angle to the lens (pitch especially) and height are just as important as distance front to back.

Speaking of the results, be sure to review over them before you save. If you are making settings adjustments to things like iris or lamp, after a few successful runs at other settings - you will most likely notice the results way off if you haven't repositioned the Spyder.

So, when you get garbage results - don't save and then reposition your meter and try again.

I'm quite happy with the auto cal results I got from the Spyder from a 2K source upconverted to 4K with low lamp and the iris closed. The UHD HDR results I "think" are good; but, since projected HDR is all about compromise - I'm going to have a pro stop by and check to see if there is a better compromise that can be had for my projector/screen/room combination.

I would be curious to run the auto cal with the i1Pro 2 just to see if it's an improvement over the Spyder.

·
Registered
8,838 Posts
thanks, One good answer unfortunately leads to another question
For SDR (BluRay) can it be scaled up to 4k and eShift activated when I run auto call (focusing on SDR like you suggested)
Yes, although I’m not sure if it makes any difference. The calibration patterns are generated internally in the projector, not via the video input (although as others pointed out, an input must be present.)

2261 - 2280 of 4389 Posts