AVS Forum banner

221 - 240 of 4669 Posts

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I've been told he meter is always the same its only the software that differs.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
I have found my spyder very accurate. Something to consider is that if you go through the trouble of doing the autocal, also do the environmental calibration in the autocal software. The main autocal is the light coming from the projector, without consideration given to the impact of your screen on color balance, color temp, white balance, etc. For me, the environmental calibration resulted in recommendations for Color as well as Gamma Picture Tone, Dark, and Bright settings. For example, it recommended that I set Color as +17. My final step was to use the Disney WoW disk to set brightness and contrast.

BTW, I am extremely happy with my JVC autocal based calibrations for both HDTV/Blu-ray as well as UHD.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
I've been thinking of doing just that I will it a shot tonight when its completely dark.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
Ugh! I posted this in the wrong thread (easier to do when using a phone!). Deleted other post and reposting here...

Picked up a Spyder4 express on eBay for $55. Claimed it was nib. Crossing fingers it's good.

I'll reread this thread in the upcoming days. Quick question however. If the spider gives poor results I can always go back to my original settings with the saved INI file, the right?

Update: Oh no! I looked at the first post and it says only "Spyder 4 Pro and Elite" are supported. Is that true? I thought the "express" was also supported! :(
I've been told he meter is always the same its only the software that differs.
AFAIK only the Pro and Elite are supported. The Express isn't, although the Spyder TV should work, as reported by a user recently.

The meter is mostly the same, but the firmware is different and so depending on the licensing agreements some models might be supported and not others.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I've been thinking of doing just that I will it a shot tonight when its completely dark.
Cool. I should highlight that for Brightness and Contrast for HDR, I used the hidden test patterns on a Sony UHD bluray. The WoW disk was used only for HDTV/Bluray.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Cool. I should highlight that for Brightness and Contrast for HDR, I used the hidden test patterns on a Sony UHD bluray. The WoW disk was used only for HDTV/Bluray.

Good info thanks for test patterns I will use the ChroamPure generator.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
Good info thanks for test patterns I will use the ChroamPure generator.
Unless your HTPC has a GPU with HDMI 2.0a support at driver level, you can't use the CP generator (or any PC based generator) for HDR10 patterns.

AFAIK, the Sony patterns are the only way for the enthusiast to calibrate HDR10 at the moment unless you buy an expensive pattern generator, at least until AMD and nVidia deliver their next-gen GPUs with HDMI 2.0a support, which shouldn't happen before this summer. The S&M or Joe Kane UHD calibration discs aren't expected until the end of the year either.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Unless your HTPC has a GPU with HDMI 2.0a support at driver level, you can't use the CP generator (or any PC based generator) for HDR10 patterns.

AFAIK, the Sony patterns are the only way for the enthusiast to calibrate HDR10 at the moment unless you buy an expensive pattern generator, at least until AMD and nVidia deliver their next-gen GPUs with HDMI 2.0a support, which shouldn't happen before this summer. The S&M or Joe Kane UHD calibration discs aren't expected until the end of the year either.
The 960GTX does support 2.0 and apparently it will just need a software update to 2.0a. But in any case some sources suggest the new cards are on the way. Meanwhile I am pretty happy with the JVC suggested settings.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #228 ·
The 960GTX does support 2.0 and apparently it will just need a software update to 2.0a. But in any case some sources suggest the new cards are on the way. Meanwhile I am pretty happy with the JVC suggested settings.
Yes, they might add HDMI 2.0a support in the cards which already have HDMI 2.0 like the 960, but the point is that at the moment, there is no PC based generator which can output HDR10 patterns. The new cards have been on the way for a while, who knows when they will land... Pascal might arrive in June, that's still two months away from now.

So unless you want to buy a dedicated pattern generator, the Sony patterns are your best friend for manual adjustments until other discs become available or nVidia/AMD deliver HDMI 2.0a support in their GPU drivers.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Hi Guys,
I read this thread for the first time ... two simple questions:

1) Auto-cal is the only calibration mode? Is it possible to do a manual calibration?

2)Is it possible to use this software without a supported meter?

I do not have the meters they support so my idea is to read and control the video response with may Calman with a spectracal C6.
Do manual adjustments (if it's possible) with the Jvc software and check it back with calman.

Is it possible to go in this way?

many thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
Hi Guys,

1) Auto-cal is the only calibration mode? Is it possible to do a manual calibration?

I do not have the meters they support so my idea is to read and control the video response with may Calman with a spectracal C6.
Do manual adjustments (if it's possible) with the Jvc software and check it back with calman.

many thanks.
1) Yes
2) No

Overall, no, you can't make adjustments with the JVC Autocal without a supported meter (apart from things that don't require measurements, like importing the bt2020 profile).

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Hi Guys,

many thanks.
1) Yes
2) No

Overall, no, you can't make adjustments with the JVC Autocal without a supported meter (apart from things that don't require measurements, like importing the bt2020 profile).
I read this question a little differently.

So I would add: You can definitely calibrate one of these projectors without "autocal" and without the supported meter BUT you will make your adjustments in the user menus, and use your third party software & meter of choice to take measurements, just like with any other display.

·
Registered
101 Posts
So I would add: You can definitely calibrate one of these projectors without "autocal" and without the supported meter BUT you will make your adjustments in the user menus, and use your third party software & meter of choice to take measurements, just like with any other display.
Very interesting but ... my question is:
Does the jvc calibration software add different calibration possibilities that are not showed in the standard user menu front-end?

If I remember well it's not possible to calibrate gamma/rgb on multi-points from the standard user interface. I'm wrong?
on the other way the Jvc auto-Cal software seems to add a deep mode to calibrate gamma-rgb track ...

Thank you for a clarification about this.

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Very interesting but ... my question is:
Does the jvc calibration software add different calibration possibilities that are not showed in the standard user menu front-end?
Yes, the jvc software gives you lots of fine tuning control not available through the user interface.

If I remember well it's not possible to calibrate gamma/rgb on multi-points from the standard user interface. I'm wrong?
Incorrect. The controls are more coarse but there are cuts and gains for each color and adjustments for gamma.

on the other way the Jvc auto-Cal software seems to add a deep mode to calibrate gamma-rgb track ...
Right, more fine grain control is possible with the auto-cal.

Note that many people use BOTH autocal (to start) and user controls (to refine the autocal).

But you can use the user controls and get good results. For example, I got all color temp correct to less that Delta E 3 just using the user controls.

That said, if I hadn't planned on getting a professional calibration, I would have done the autocal route. I mean, why not? For about $100 and some investment in learning and your time, you get a very good calibration using autocal.

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Since there's no way to know if I've got a good Spyder 4 or not, is there a way of profiling it against my I1Pro 2? If not, I guess I could check it by profiling it in CalMAN and looking at the resulting profile table. But how do I interpret those numbers as good or bad or OK?

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #235 · (Edited)
Since there's no way to know if I've got a good Spyder 4 or not, is there a way of profiling it against my I1Pro 2? If not, I guess I could check it by profiling it in CalMAN and looking at the resulting profile table. But how do I interpret those numbers as good or bad or OK?
The autocal software doesn't allow profiling.

Re checking the accuracy of the Spyder, please read the links in the first post, many answers are already in one of the two threads and are referenced in the first post of this thread :)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...203-jvc-auto-calibration-12.html#post39218994

·
Registered
4,804 Posts

Re checking the accuracy of the Spyder, please read the links in the first post, many answers are already in one of the two threads and are referenced in the first post of this thread :)

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-di...203-jvc-auto-calibration-12.html#post39218994
I wish I could just getaway without having to invest in a reference meter. The Autocal left white a little yellow so I have no other choice need to get another meter.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #237 ·

Re checking the accuracy of the Spyder, please read the links in the first post, many answers are already in one of the two threads and are referenced in the first post of this thread

I wish I could just getaway without having to invest in a reference meter. The Autocal left white a little yellow so I have no other choice need to get another meter.
Your X5000 (rs400) doesn't allow to select the 7000K preset. Your color temp issue might have nothing to do with the meter. A jump of 1000K between 6500K and 7500K is a big jump.

You could use chromapure as you own it to fine tune the results at 30% and 70% white and see if you can get rid of the yellow. If you can, then it would be worth doing a full gamma calibration with chromapure, using all the adjustments available to nail the color temp and gamma over the whole greyscale using the JVC internal manual controls.

·
Registered
4,214 Posts
Yes, they might add HDMI 2.0a support in the cards which already have HDMI 2.0 like the 960, but the point is that at the moment, there is no PC based generator which can output HDR10 patterns. The new cards have been on the way for a while, who knows when they will land... Pascal might arrive in June, that's still two months away from now.

So unless you want to buy a dedicated pattern generator, the Sony patterns are your best friend for manual adjustments until other discs become available or nVidia/AMD deliver HDMI 2.0a support in their GPU drivers.
GPU hardware capabilities are all irrelevant without an API to actually use thew new functionality. There are some work-arounds with additional hardware such as the one proposed here.

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Your X5000 (rs400) doesn't allow to select the 7000K preset. Your color temp issue might have nothing to do with the meter. A jump of 1000K between 6500K and 7500K is a big jump.

You could use chromapure as you own it to fine tune the results at 30% and 70% white and see if you can get rid of the yellow. If you can, then it would be worth doing a full gamma calibration with chromapure, using all the adjustments available to nail the color temp and gamma over the whole greyscale using the JVC internal manual controls.
Yes that's the plan I just need to get down to it. But I would still need to confirm the accuracy of the Sypder wouldn't I?

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #240 ·

Yes that's the plan I just need to get down to it. But I would still need to confirm the accuracy of the Sypder wouldn't I?
Not necessarily, if you calibrate to 6500K with chromapure and the tint goes away, you'll know the issue is with the limited color temp options in the x5000 rather than the meter itself. Worth a try before getting a better meter. It won't take long to put a 100% white pattern on and set it to D65 using the gains control in the PJ. If the tint is gone, then do a full gamma/greyscale manual calibration.

221 - 240 of 4669 Posts