AVS Forum banner

2681 - 2700 of 4389 Posts

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I suspect I'm missing something here, as per Posts 9 and 10 in this thread, providing detailed recommendations for JVC Autocalibration, a Color only Autocal was advised for BT2020-NF, following the Gamma+color Autocalibration using a standard Color Profile and 'normal' Gamma (for each combination of lamp, iris, CMD state, etc.).

This seemed to be an established procedure. Is this now being called into question?
[EDIT 2018-01-12: I should've probably posted in a different thread, as what I'm describing is a process for improve the colour accuracy of the JVC colour profiles (Rec. 709 or BT.2020) using HCFR (or other calibration programs) based on i1D3 measurements. It is not related to the 3-phase Autocal. The custom profiles are not correcting the Spyder measuring errors, but are correcting the profiles directly. As a matter of fact, it does not involve running gamma or colour calibration or even the Spyder at all; the JVC software is only used for creating and uploading the custom profiles.]

I bought a DLA-x570R (RS420) last week and have confirmed that Autocal fine-tuning works for BT2020NF. Here's what I did, using HCFR and i1D3:

1. Create a custom profile BT2020NF even though it should be the same as the built-in BT2020 (the projector has no wide gamut filter); upload it to the projector
  2. Measure grey scale
  3. Run saturation sweep for primary colours
  4. Measure the ColorChecker patterns for reference
  5. From the grey scale xy errors, calculate the white point xy for the custom profile BT2020Corr (similar to Chad B's fine-tuning)
  6. From the saturation errors, calculate the xy values for Red and Blue (similar to Chad B's fine-tuning). I did not touch green as it's seriously undersaturated (beyond redemption)
  7. Create the custom profile and upload it to the projector
  8. Remeasure the grey scale, saturation sweeps and ColorChecker patterns.
The process is essentially the same as what I used for Rec709. Note that these steps do not require the Spyder5, when I now only use calibrate the gamma.

Even with just a single attempt, the greyscale dE improved from 3.7/7.5 (Average/Max) to 1.0/2.2. The ColorChecker dE improved from 1.7/4.7 to 1.4/3.5. I should be able to make further improvements with another iteration.
Note that the same improvement to the greyscale dE can also be made using the projector's RGB Gain and Offset controls; I was able to achieve an even lower dE of 0.6/1.1 as the feedback is instantaneous.

Attachments

·
Registered
415 Posts
Where can I find Chad B's fine tuning procedures?
Am very innocent on the error calculation things

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I bought a DLA-x570R (RS420) last week and have confirmed that Autocal fine-tuning works for BT2020NF. Here's what I did, using HCFR and i1D3:

1. Create a custom profile BT2020NF even though it should be the same as the built-in BT2020 (the projector has no wide gamut filter); upload it to the projector
  2. Measure grey scale
  3. Run saturation sweep for primary colours
  4. Measure the ColorChecker patterns for reference
  5. From the grey scale xy errors, calculate the white point xy for the custom profile BT2020Corr (similar to Chad B's fine-tuning)
  6. From the saturation errors, calculate the xy values for Red and Blue (similar to Chad B's fine-tuning). I did not touch green as it's seriously undersaturated (beyond redemption)
  7. Create the custom profile and upload it to the projector
  8. Remeasure the grey scale, saturation sweeps and ColorChecker patterns.
The process is essentially the same as what I used for Rec709. Note that these steps do not require the Spyder5, when I now only use calibrate the gamma.

Even with just a single attempt, the greyscale dE improved from 3.7/7.5 (Average/Max) to 1.0/2.2. The ColorChecker dE improved from 1.7/4.7 to 1.4/3.5. I should be able to make further improvements with another iteration.
Note that the same improvement to the greyscale dE can also be made using the projector's RGB Gain and Offset controls; I was able to achieve an even lower dE of 0.6/1.1 as the feedback is instantaneous.
Thanks Dom...sorry, a lot of your explanation I don’t understand as you are far more advanced than I am...on my x950,
before I run phase 3 Autocal for Manni’s BT2020NF color profile (trying to optimize hdr brightness) would phase 1 just be run using non reference color profiles that don’t use the filter? ie. Cinema or Natural NOT Reference, given the BT2020NF doesn’t use a filter? Just looking for your opinion Sir...thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
I get error making color calibration - it runs through the calibration but shows no result just error message.
And cant find the reason. Where to look?

Some elements in JVC page 6 (v9 1.1 on a spyder5 on x5500) manual i dont understand:

"After turning on the power of the projector, set to picture mode for calibration" ?

And

"calibration does not work when Color Profile have been set to Off or X.v.color" ?

On my pc running 4k60Hz i can only select rgb 8bit depth- no 10/12 bit is possible - is that good enough?

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
Thanks Dom...sorry, a lot of your explanation I don’t understand as you are far more advanced than I am...on my x950,
before I run phase 3 Autocal for Manni’s BT2020NF color profile (trying to optimize hdr brightness) would phase 1 just be run using non reference color profiles that don’t use the filter? ie. Cinema or Natural NOT Reference, given the BT2020NF doesn’t use a filter? Just looking for your opinion Sir...thanks
I should've probably posted in a different thread, as what I described is simply a process for improve the colour accuracy of the JVC colour profiles (Rec. 709 or BT.2020) using HCFR (or other calibration programs) based on i1D3 measurements.

It is not related to the 3-phase Autocal. As a matter of fact, it does not even involve running gamma or colour calibration; the JVC software was only used for creating and uploading the custom profiles.

In my particular case, the original grey scale shows an excess blue and red, so the custom profile has negligible effect on the luminance (it remained at 138 nits).

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Hi Guys,

I hope all are well. I am attempting to download some of the custom curves posted as well as utilize the Spyder I purchased to run Auto Cal. I am having a MAJOR problem getting my Ethernet connection from my laptop to my 620 to communicate. I have tried 2 laptops and keep getting “IP Address configuration error”. Can I cannot via an RS-232 to accomplish this, similar to a software update procedure? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Keith

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hi Guys,

I hope all are well. I am attempting to download some of the custom curves posted as well as utilize the Spyder I purchased to run Auto Cal. I am having a MAJOR problem getting my Ethernet connection from my laptop to my 620 to communicate. I have tried 2 laptops and keep getting “IP Address configuration error”. Can I cannot via an RS-232 to accomplish this, similar to a software update procedure? I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you!

Keith
You have to look at what the IP address is for the projector in the projector settings. Then on your PC type it in under in the gear button on in the JVC software, then click connect. Did you do that?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi Guys,

Keith
Maybe you wanna try connect the projector and the PC through a router.
I have problem using direct PC-projector connection but once using the router, everything works.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
You have to look at what the IP address is for the projector in the projector settings. Then on your PC type it in under in the gear button on in the JVC software, then click connect. Did you do that?
Hi Guys,

Keith
Maybe you wanna try connect the projector and the PC through a router.
I have problem using direct PC-projector connection but once using the router, everything works.
I tried multiple times to put the projector IP address in but to no avail. I will have to get a SUPER long Ethernet cable to run to my router as it is in another level of my home. Hope that works!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I tried multiple times to put the projector IP address in but to no avail. I will have to get a SUPER long Ethernet cable to run to my router as it is in another level of my home. Hope that works!
can just buy a small 5 ports switch like this https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Ethernet-Splitter-Unmanaged-TL-SF1005D/dp/B000FNFSPY for @$12 or just use any old switch or ADSL modem lying around and change them to router mode to connect just the PC and JVC.

I use my old ADSL modem for the purpose and it work.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Once you connect your projector to your router with an Ethernet cable, it will work. You could move the router to the theater room for an hour. :p

If it helps, made a guide for importing premade curves here. The steps should very similar for you (Steps 4-7 should work for you, perhaps a minor difference in the software layout).

Let us know how it goes!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just bought a used X550r and I am a little confused about calibration? I have Calman 5 and an i1 Display Pro Colorimeter along with a Lumagen Radiance 2144 which I usually use to auto calibrate the grayscale and 3d Lut. I assume I will use one of the HDMI inputs for the Lumagen and that I can just calibrate as I usually do for HD? The second input I will go right to my Oppo UDP-203 for 4k content, is there anything I can or should do with Calman and the i1 or should I just upload the 2020 profile plus one of the gamma curves that are posted here?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Calibration Confusion

Hi

Confused on a few things. Reading thru all the posts the Spyder is very accurate, but its the only thing u can use to auto cal. So what I would like to know, if I want to get a good cal. done would I buy the Spyder do the auto. Then what would I need to make this a better cal. Both software and color meter that isn't going to break the bank

Thanks I hope this made sense

·
Registered
9,918 Posts
I am not an expert in what the best bang for the buck or easiest or most accurate tools are. Personally I use a ColorMunki + HCFR because that is what I already had on hand.

If I was to start from scratch, I'd probably buy a Calman package.

But I am far from an expert in what is easiest or best or the best value.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Once you connect your projector to your router with an Ethernet cable, it will work. You could move the router to the theater room for an hour. :p

If it helps, made a guide for importing premade curves here. The steps should very similar for you (Steps 4-7 should work for you, perhaps a minor difference in the software layout).

Let us know how it goes!

I will definately update you with the results and I super appreciate you taking the time to respond. Thanks again!

Keith

2681 - 2700 of 4389 Posts