AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4389 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
I went to the JVC download page, clicked on the 'Software license agreement' and entered the serial # of my Spyder4 Pro and I keep getting this message and can't get any farther. "Please accept the Software License Agreement and enter the serial number of the unit you use"

Anyone have any ideas or am I doing something wrong.

Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
I THINK it wants your JVC pj serial number.

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
this is important folks !! :)

Make sure that you save the backup file (with INIT in the name) in a safe place, as restoring that file is the only way to go back to factory settings. A factory reset in the service menu Doesn't reverse the autocal changes. These changes are PERMANENT. The only way to go back is to restore a previous calibration file, and restoring the init file is the only way to go back to factory settings.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Manni, thank you for spending the time to post this info.

A couple of questions:
1) Where is the serial number on the RS500? I have just installed mine in a projector alcove and spent time adjusting its height, zoom, focus etc. and it will be a PITA to bring it down again just to read the serial number.
2) Is there any performance difference between the Spyder 4 and 5? Apart from the marketing blub of 55% low luminance accuracy (which should help), is it worth waiting for the JVC software to be updated for Spyder 5 support? Seems that way.

I have a few other questions but I'll read the older thread first.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts

Make sure that you save the backup file (with INIT in the name) in a safe place, as restoring that file is the only way to go back to factory settings. A factory reset in the service menu Doesn't reverse the autocal changes. These changes are PERMANENT. The only way to go back is to restore a previous calibration file, and restoring the init file is the only way to go back to factory settings.

I've just received an spyder 4 that I got from ebay. After reading's Manni's post, it seems that if you get for some reason a defective meter and you autocal then you just blew it. I guess it is just safer to use calman 5 and a c6 meter and create different profiles. I use your initial settings and did a two point grayscale calibration and got similar results. The unit tracks very well gray and has a great image. The CMS is not great. Green was a bit under saturated but managed to lower the deltae from 3.1 to 2.8.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
So few questions from a pj noob. Running RS400.

1) So from the sounds of it, Spyder5 isn't yet supported. I haven't searched eBay yet, but it looks like the 4s are out of stock on Amazon etc.
Any time frame or guess for 5 support?

2) Also, I'm a mac user. Short of a win vm, I'm guessing I'm SOL on running the actual JVC SW...Or borrow or buy a cheap Win machine. True? Has JVC typically not supported Mac?

3) This one will likely draw a few laughs. How necessary is the calibration? After spending tens of thousands on a dedicated HT, it might seem insane not to do so. But how much is gained from running an in-depth calibration vs a more manual Spears&Munsil type manual adjustment? Am I missing more to the story/benefits here? I suppose that one is like someone asking me if they really need to run REQ on their prepro.....

Thanks for the patience guys! I know more about audio and LCDs etc. Trying to come up to speed on my RS400 investment.

·
Premium Member
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Manni, thank you for spending the time to post this info.

A couple of questions:
1) Where is the serial number on the RS500? I have just installed mine in a projector alcove and spent time adjusting its height, zoom, focus etc. and it will be a PITA to bring it down again just to read the serial number.
2) Is there any performance difference between the Spyder 4 and 5? Apart from the marketing blub of 55% low luminance accuracy (which should help), is it worth waiting for the JVC software to be updated for Spyder 5 support? Seems that way.

I have a few other questions but I'll read the older thread first.

Hi there,

1) Serial number is at the back of the PJ and also on the box, on one of the labels. It's an 8 digit number starting with 150 or 160.

2) Read the threads :)

·
Premium Member
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

Good point, I always take it for granted that people will read the whole post, and will have read the manual, as instructed...

I added a disclaimer in the first post, in bold :)

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Outstanding Manni!

"Hail, hail, the gang's all here
What the heck do we care
What the heck do we care
Hail, hail, the gang's all here
What the heck do we care now!"

:D

·
Registered
9,930 Posts
So few questions from a pj noob. Running RS400.

1) So from the sounds of it, Spyder5 isn't yet supported. I haven't searched eBay yet, but it looks like the 4s are out of stock on Amazon etc.
Any time frame or guess for 5 support?

2) Also, I'm a mac user. Short of a win vm, I'm guessing I'm SOL on running the actual JVC SW...Or borrow or buy a cheap Win machine. True? Has JVC typically not supported Mac?

3) This one will likely draw a few laughs. How necessary is the calibration? After spending tens of thousands on a dedicated HT, it might seem insane not to do so. But how much is gained from running an in-depth calibration vs a more manual Spears&Munsil type manual adjustment? Am I missing more to the story/benefits here? I suppose that one is like someone asking me if they really need to run REQ on their prepro.....

Thanks for the patience guys! I know more about audio and LCDs etc. Trying to come up to speed on my RS400 investment.

1. First half of 2016
2. No Mac support
3. You can put crap tires on a porsche if you want to but why?

·
Registered
381 Posts

IMO- there is always a real and tangible benefit to be had from doing a grayscale and gamma calibration, neither of which can be accomplished without a meter. Even considering the fact that the Spyder meters aren't as consistently accurate as others, using one to do an autocal is still going to be light years better than anything you'll accomplish with a disc alone.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
IMO- there is always a real and tangible benefit to be had from doing a grayscale and gamma calibration
Absolutely! A proper gray scale and gamma is at least as important as a color calibration. The realism a proper distribution of light offers is jaw dropping in my experience. Looking at the results of my first proper 21 pt gamma calibration was one of my "holy [email protected]" moments in HT.

I'm sure I'm about to have another such moment as I'm currently watching an RS20 with an RS500 on order! :) Can hardly wait. It's Christmas!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Anyone know if you can use the Spyder4tv probe with the JVC version 6.0 calibration software? It is the same probe as the 4 pro or elite with software specific for calibrating HD displays.

21 - 40 of 4389 Posts