AVS Forum banner

4381 - 4400 of 4420 Posts

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
This is a feature that has been asked by many, and yet it has existed at least since v7!
Here are the calibration results using the Spyder5 for color autocal, with the correction matrix. With some minor RGB Gain adjustments (R-2; G-5), I was able to achieve ColorCheck dE of 0.36/0.61 (avg/max).

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Here are the calibration results using the Spyder5 for color autocal, with the correction matrix. With some minor RGB Gain adjustments (R-2; G-5), I was able to achieve ColorCheck dE of 0.36/0.61 (avg/max).
I've been out of this thread for quite some time. Is there a guide on how do you create this matrix?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Two quick sanity check questions please - I could not readily find anything obvious in the forums.

Q1: I just completed a first test run of SDR auto-cal on my X790. Post-cal gamma looks like a perfectly straight line, but what in the world is the second line on the plot? The manual says:

Code:
Calibration results are shown in a white line.
The state before calibration is performed is shown in a blue line.
The green line represents Gamma 2.2.
I am assuming that the second line is BLUE and represents the before calibration gamma droop (I have just over 200 hours on the bulb). Why in the world would they pick a shade of blue that looks green (turquoise)??? Why not pick yellow or orange?

Q2: What target does the projector use for the colour auto-cal? The results I am getting (white triangle) are not aligned with Rec.709 (pink triangle). Is the post-cal result representing the projector native colour space, without the filter in this case?

Many thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Two quick sanity check questions please - I could not readily find anything obvious in the forums.

Q1: I just completed a first test run of SDR auto-cal on my X790. Post-cal gamma looks like a perfectly straight line, but what in the world is the second line on the plot? The manual says:

Code:
Calibration results are shown in a white line.
The state before calibration is performed is shown in a blue line.
The green line represents Gamma 2.2.
I am assuming that the second line is BLUE and represents the before calibration gamma droop (I have just over 200 hours on the bulb). Why in the world would they pick a shade of blue that looks green (turquoise)??? Why not pick yellow or orange?

Q2: What target does the projector use for the colour auto-cal? The results I am getting (white triangle) are not aligned with Rec.709 (pink triangle). Is the post-cal result representing the projector native colour space, without the filter in this case?

Many thanks.
The “Standard” colour profile is slightly over-saturated by intent. If you want Rec.709 you will have to use one of the Custom profiles. They may be “preset” to Rec.709 (check with autocal in Log Only mode”), if not, you can create one or load Manni’s.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The “Standard” colour profile is slightly over-saturated by intent. If you want Rec.709 you will have to use one of the Custom profiles. They may be “preset” to Rec.709 (check with autocal in Log Only mode”), if not, you can create one or load Manni’s.
Thanks very much Dominic, I suspected that this might be the case. So is the colour auto-calibration against the projector native reference then? Or does the projector perform the calibration against Rec.709 but my displayed result (white triangle) simply reflects the selected (by me) "Standard" profile?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Thanks very much Dominic, I suspected that this might be the case. So is the colour auto-calibration against the projector native reference then? Or does the projector perform the calibration against Rec.709 but my displayed result (white triangle) simply reflects the selected (by me) "Standard" profile?
I suspect thats the case, as the same colour autocal covers multiple profiles. It also calibrates white at the same time.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Is anyone able to provide the download link manni/javs hdr curves. The link posted in the thread does not work for me

·
Registered
104 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Hi,
So I just bought a JVC rs600 and want to buy a decive to use the Auto Cal feature. Should I get the Spyder 5elite or the Spyder 4 elite? Or? Does this issue with the Spyder 5 make a big difference? Or by chance have they fixed the issue with a firmware update?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Hi,
So I just bought a JVC rs600 and want to buy a decive to use the Auto Cal feature. Should I get the Spyder 5elite or the Spyder 4 elite? Or? Does this issue with the Spyder 5 make a big difference? Or by chance have they fixed the issue with a firmware update?
Both Spyder4 or Spyder5 are fine for gamma Autocal but cannot be trusted for colour Autocal. You don’t need the Elite version; even Express will do.

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
There is a new version of the patch that allows using other meters for autocal:

I only tried it with the i1D3 (and it works), but presumably you can also use the i1Pro/Pro2.

Also, the previous patch requires the retail version of the i1D3, whereas this version works with any meter supported by ArgyllCMS

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently got hold of a X570 (RS420) and loaded all color profiles and manni's curve, it improved brightness and black levels, however, i think red hue is "flashy" not sure how to explain here. do i need to use autocal with some sort of meter to correct this? TIA !

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
The RS420/520 have the BT.2020 profile pre-loaded at the factory. You may still want the REC709NF profile, however.

I recently got hold of a X570 (RS420) and loaded all color profiles and manni's curve, it improved brightness and black levels, however, i think red hue is "flashy" not sure how to explain here. do i need to use autocal with some sort of meter to correct this? TIA !

·
Registered
65 Posts
The RS420/520 have the BT.2020 profile pre-loaded at the factory. You may still want the REC709NF profile, however.
Thanks Dominic. I think i loaded REC790NF in a different profile, i'll try that. So you don't think using a cal meter is not going to help in this?

·
Registered
9,294 Posts
Thanks Dominic. I think i loaded REC790NF in a different profile, i'll try that. So you don't think using a cal meter is not going to help in this?
You can run autocal, but regardless you need to start with the correct profile.

4381 - 4400 of 4420 Posts