AVS Forum banner

4401 - 4420 of 4420 Posts

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
Would the RS500 have any issues with brightness on a 137, 16:9, 0.9 gain AT screen? (Seymour Center Stage XD). It is a completely light controlled room with velvet and black ceiling.

I am looking to do a false wall and add this screen. Thank you for the input!
Probably wrong thread for this question :)

·
Premium Member
1,679 Posts
Thanks to @Dominic Chan for pointing me to right thread. I had my JVS RS500 calibrated professionally years ago and since then I have also changed bulb. Time to recalibrate. Now I'm thinking of doing it using Auto Cal since I watched this YouTube video. Video shows SpiderX. I checked JVC Auto calibration software page and it shows
SensorDatacolor Spyder5 Elite/ProDatacolor Spyder4 Elite/Pro

So it seems like SpiderX isn't supported. Just want to confirm before ordering Spider 5 Pro. Also, first page has many many links. Is there a simple guide to follow instead of going through all the links to get myself familiarized with Auto Cal + Spider 5 Pro?

Thx

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
SpyderX is not supported but Spyder5 has been discontinued so you may have to settle for a used one. Any version (including the Express) will work.
Alternatively, you can buy an xrite i1Display Pro and use a patch (Google it) to make it work with Autocal.
The Autocal software comes with instructions so it’s up to you how much additional reading you want to do. Most of the “meat” is in the first 12 posts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
SpyderX is not supported but Spyder5 has been discontinued so you may have to settle for a used one. Any version (including the Express) will work.
Alternatively, you can buy an xrite i1Display Pro and use a patch (Google it) to make it work with Autocal.
The Autocal software comes with instructions so it’s up to you how much additional reading you want to do. Most of the “meat” is in the first 12 posts.
When using the Xrite instead of the Spyder, can you do a reliable color adjustment instead of just the Gamma?
Now I use my Spyder5 to do Gamma on my RS400 and calibrate the grayscale/CMS afterwards with my Spectracal C6 and Calman.
Also would you happen to know it the 'hack' works with the Spectracal branded meter as well, should be the same I think?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
When using the Xrite instead of the Spyder, can you do a reliable color adjustment instead of just the Gamma?
Now I use my Spyder5 to do Gamma on my RS400 and calibrate the grayscale/CMS afterwards with my Spectracal C6 and Calman.
Also would you happen to know it the 'hack' works with the Spectracal branded meter as well, should be the same I think?
The i1Display Pro is generally considered to be more accurate than the Spyder5 and SpyerX.
The original version of the hack only worked with X-Rite branded meters. The new version in theory works with any meter compatible with ArgyllCMS, but has not been tested as extensively.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I had my RS500 calibrated by ChadB before, but I have put another ~500 hours so I am planning to check and re-calibrate (at least the Gamma). Quick questions:

1. For Gamma only: I assume I don't need to touch any of the calibration tweaks done by ChadB (other than use the proper profile with Gamma 2.2, filter & no-filter, Low and high lamp, etc).
2. For Color callibration: Do I need to reset all calibration settings to their default? (essentially starting over from Chad's last visit?)

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I have started a new thread to discuss the ArgyllCMS DLL which allows many additional meters to be used with Autocal:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I would like to get some confirmation that I understand correctly (I have read and followed this entire thread, along with the owners thread, and now the ArgyII thread... but it is very much like pouring a bucket of water into a shot glass...)
I have an RS540, so with the ArgyII dll an xrite i1Display Pro could be used with Autocal for gamma and color correct? And the i1Display Pro is generally regarded to produce solid results for both correct? I have a Spyder 5, but have not/ will not use it for color. The i1Display Pro is attainable for me (espescially if I could sell the Spyder to a new home), whereas most of the other options are not.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
I would like to get some confirmation that I understand correctly (I have read and followed this entire thread, along with the owners thread, and now the ArgyII thread... but it is very much like pouring a bucket of water into a shot glass...)
I have an RS540, so with the ArgyII dll an xrite i1Display Pro could be used with Autocal for gamma and color correct? And the i1Display Pro is generally regarded to produce solid results for both correct? I have a Spyder 5, but have not/ will not use it for color. The i1Display Pro is attainable for me (espescially if I could sell the Spyder to a new home), whereas most of the other options are not.
Yes, I find the i1Display Pro good enough for both gamma and colour Autocal, even though the Spyder 5 in theory can be better for gamma (since you can get higher readings by bringing it close to the projector lens)

·
Registered
501 Posts
HI,

Sorry to bother everyone, but I cannot seem to find Manni's profiles for my RS600. Can someone point me to them? Also How do I load a profile to the projector once I hook up my laptop?

Thanks
Mark...

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
HI,

Sorry to bother everyone, but I cannot seem to find Manni's profiles for my RS600. Can someone point me to them?
All the profiles are in a zip file which you can find at the end of post 1.

Also How do I load a profile to the projector once I hook up my laptop?
The instructions come with the JVC auotocal software.

·
Registered
40 Posts
getting the spyder 5 for my rs600 soon (got it free) I know its fine for gamma and ify for color...if i just correct gamma is that worth the trouble? will it significantly improve the picture? what are the issues with color correction? sorry for the newb questions

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
getting the spyder 5 for my rs600 soon (got it free) I know its fine for gamma and ify for color...if i just correct gamma is that worth the trouble? will it significantly improve the picture?
That depends on how far off it is currently. In addition to gamma (obviously), Gamma Autocal will also improve the greyscale consistency (colour cast at some levels relative to white).

·
Registered
40 Posts
That depends on how far off it is currently. In addition to gamma (obviously), Gamma Autocal will also improve the greyscale consistency (colour cast at some levels relative to white).
thanks for the reply. can you check the current gamma before doing any calibration?

are the spyder 5's not even worth doing the color autocal?

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
thanks for the reply. can you check the current gamma before doing any calibration?

are the spyder 5's not even worth doing the color autocal?
Yes, you can check by running Autocal in the Log Only mode (which I recommend). Unfortunately there’s no way to save the log other than by screen capture.
The log will also show you how far off the colours are, but only according to the meter itself.
There’s no way to check the Spyder’s colour accuracy without another meter, but at least it will show whether the Spyder is going to make major changes.

4401 - 4420 of 4420 Posts