AVS Forum banner

4521 - 4540 of 4584 Posts

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
i ran the gamma autocal using the omardris method , my target color temp set to 6500k however i kept getting readings closer to 5500k , i autocaled a couple of times but this remained constant , then i chose the target in autocal for 7500k and got results closer to 65k , attaching herein both autocal result ,iris = manual and set to "0" , lamp = low , clear black =off , any idea what could be causing this and possible solutions . View attachment 3071397 View attachment 3071398
Gamma Autocal does not change the colour temperature. The log is simply reporting what the meter measured.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Gamma Autocal does not change the colour temperature. The log is simply reporting what the meter measured.
thanks dominic , so autocal software does not calibrate to achieve the selected color temp , as in the software that is one of the parameters to be selected in the setup page ? any tips to get it closer to d65 over and above selecting 75k in the autocal , and is this reading because of the environment of the room in which i am taking the measurement

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,336 Posts
thanks dominic , so autocal software does not calibrate to achieve the selected color temp , as in the software that is one of the parameters to be selected in the setup page ? any tips to get it closer to d65 over and above selecting 75k in the autocal , and is this reading because of the environment of the room in which i am taking the measurement
It does calibrate to the selected color temp during color autocal.

Gamma autocal is just gamma, not color temp, so it’s not going to calibrate your color temp there.

The environment shouldn’t affect your color temp.

·
Registered
97 Posts
It does calibrate to the selected color temp during color autocal.

Gamma autocal is just gamma, not color temp, so it’s not going to calibrate your color temp there.

The environment shouldn’t affect your color temp.
SirMaster , thanks for clearing that up , will calibrate color tonight and see the outcome ,

·
Registered
496 Posts
You don’t “need to” calibrate both 709NF and 2020NF in low lamp, as calibrate one will automatically calibrate the other.
Thanks for these words of wisdom.

I've spent some time trying to calibrate 2020F properly and it never seemed to work properly, 709NF was always easy and accurate. A while ago I decided to try P3F, this calibrated easily and well, looks great for MadVR & LLDV, I thought that 2020F was somehow better too but thought I was imagining it. So presumably loading the profile and calibrating for P3F will have also calibrated my 2020F profile too?

More than three years with an X7000 and always more details to learn.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Thanks for these words of wisdom.

I've spent some time trying to calibrate 2020F properly and it never seemed to work properly, 709NF was always easy and accurate. A while ago I decided to try P3F, this calibrated easily and well, looks great for MadVR & LLDV, I thought that 2020F was somehow better too but thought I was imagining it. So presumably loading the profile and calibrating for P3F will have also calibrated my 2020F profile too?

More than three years with an X7000 and always more details to learn.
2020F is always hard to calibrate (for both Autocal and manual) since it far exceeds the projector’s gamut.
Calibrating P3F will also calibrate 2020F, if everything else stays the same.

·
Registered
496 Posts
2020F is always hard to calibrate (for both Autocal and manual) since it far exceeds the projector’s gamut.
Calibrating P3F will also calibrate 2020F, if everything else stays the same.
Many thanks for this, I wish I'd known that three years ago!

It does appear that my 2020F profile is now really good and the only thing I've done differently is load a P3F profile and autocal that.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'm new to calibration and I'm trying to calibrate my x590R with a Spyder 5 and JVC Calibration Software v10. I messed it up the first time and reimported my original INIT file to bring it back to normal. I've done some reading from the beginning of this thread and also watched the Youthman video on using this software (
)

I'm still confused around the process to do SDR and HDR separately, and which Picture Mode/Color Profile to pick. Should I calibrate one of the User profiles so that I can compare it back to the original, or does it not work that way because the calibration has changed things that impact all Picture Modes?

Or do the universal changes only to Gamma, whereas Color calibrations are Picture Mode specific?

Do I set "Gamma Step" to Speed, Normal, or Quality? I'm assuming Quality is the best choice, but it's just a slower process?

Also, for the HDR calibration, should I choose HDR/HDR Picture Mode/Color Profile, because that's the one that my projector automatically kicks into when it detects BT2020. Or is there a way to change which profile it automatically kicks into?

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I'm new to calibration and I'm trying to calibrate my x590R with a Spyder 5 and JVC Calibration Software v10. I messed it up the first time and reimported my original INIT file to bring it back to normal. I've done some reading from the beginning of this thread and also watched the Youthman video on using this software (
)

I'm still confused around the process to do SDR and HDR separately, and which Picture Mode/Color Profile to pick. Should I calibrate one of the User profiles so that I can compare it back to the original, or does it not work that way because the calibration has changed things that impact all Picture Modes?

Or do the universal changes only to Gamma, whereas Color calibrations are Picture Mode specific?

Do I set "Gamma Step" to Speed, Normal, or Quality? I'm assuming Quality is the best choice, but it's just a slower process?
Also, for the HDR calibration, should I choose HDR/HDR Picture Mode/Color Profile, because that's the one that my projector automatically kicks into when it detects BT2020. Or is there a way to change which profile it automatically kicks into?
These questions are already answered in the first few posts, and many times over (and explained in the JVC Autocal instructions).
In summary, the calibration is not specific to the picture mode used during calibration. Any picture modes use the same lamp power, CMD on/off, filter on/off, will all be calibrated at the same time for gamma. For colour calibration the same also applies, but the iris range also plays a role in that case.
The Quality option for gamma is not necessarily better; it takes readings at lower levels, and if those are not accurate the results can be worse than Normal calibration.

The projector automatically kicks into the HDR Picture Mode and you have no control over that. However, within the Picture Mode you can select a different colour profile (not all are available, however).

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey Folks.

So I am having an issue and I did some googling, and searching on this thread and I didn't see anything. Forgive me if I missed it.

I have an RS400, and a Spyder5Pro.
My HTPC is an i5 with 32GB ram
Running DSPlayer w/ MadVR
Aus Strix GTX 1060 OC Video Card

When I run autocal, it loads fine. It seems my projector over the network. When I go to Calibrate, I click on the Spyder icon, my projector goes black, then I get a white screen that goes on forever. The Projectors menu will come up, and the only way to get the white screen to go away is to turn off the projector. When it comes back up, my HTPC is where I left it. I can't seem to get past the white screen of death. Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
JVC NX5 at 140", Denon X4200W (5.1.2) with Axiom Audio speakers + Bass Shakers
2,336 Posts
Hey Folks.

So I am having an issue and I did some googling, and searching on this thread and I didn't see anything. Forgive me if I missed it.

When I run autocal, it loads fine. It seems my projector over the network. When I go to Calibrate, I click on the Spyder icon, my projector goes black, then I get a white screen that goes on forever. The Projectors menu will come up, and the only way to get the white screen to go away is to turn off the projector. When it comes back up, my HTPC is where I left it. I can't seem to get past the white screen of death. Any suggestions?

Thanks
It's supposed to go to a white screen. That's the screen to position your meter, when it's reading the white pattern to set the Spyder's distance from the lens correctly based on the brightness of the white.

On the white screen you are supposed to position your meter in the orange box and then press the button in autocal to go to the next step.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Hey Folks.

Thanks
Are you using a single display (the projector screen that also serves as you computer screen)? I don’t think that will work as you won’t be able to see the prompts from the software.
Connect something else to the projector, and connect the computer to a separate screen.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
My first post seems to have not posted, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate. In short, trying to make sure I'm going down the right path before I plow through 5 years worth of thread.

Background, JVC RS400 projector. Was calibrated early on, but only in 1080p SDR as that was all I was running at the time (ODroid I was using struggled with 4k menus, and switching back and forth on the JVC is a pain). Now I've moved to a Shield Pro as the primary media device, plus added a 4k player and have started buying (and ripping) some 4k titles. Plus, if I stream from D+ or other places that send HDR, etc... I know I need the lamp in High mode for HDR, but as it still seems a bit off there, I'm assuming I need to calibrate for 4k HDR and get some color profiles loaded or the like, correct?

So the quick questions. Am I reading right that the software will only work up to the Spyder 5, and not the Spyder X? Second, is the Spyder 5 still available new anywhere? If not, is there a different approach to try, or is it a matter of finding a used one and hoping it's in good condition?

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
My first post seems to have not posted, so hopefully this isn't a duplicate. In short, trying to make sure I'm going down the right path before I plow through 5 years worth of thread.

Background, JVC RS400 projector. Was calibrated early on, but only in 1080p SDR as that was all I was running at the time (ODroid I was using struggled with 4k menus, and switching back and forth on the JVC is a pain). Now I've moved to a Shield Pro as the primary media device, plus added a 4k player and have started buying (and ripping) some 4k titles. Plus, if I stream from D+ or other places that send HDR, etc... I know I need the lamp in High mode for HDR, but as it still seems a bit off there, I'm assuming I need to calibrate for 4k HDR and get some color profiles loaded or the like, correct?

So the quick questions. Am I reading right that the software will only work up to the Spyder 5, and not the Spyder X? Second, is the Spyder 5 still available new anywhere? If not, is there a different approach to try, or is it a matter of finding a used one and hoping it's in good condition?
Yes, but see this thread for alternatives.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm going to buy a meter in the next few days, and i would like to request an opinion regarding which is the best option:
  • i1Display Pro (eodis3) - 250€
  • i1Display Pro Plus (EODIS3PL) - 285€

The meter will be used for Gamma Calibration (via: Using Alternative Meters for JVC Autocal Software), and a 3DLUT in madVR.

Is the Plus model worth it, as its only 35€ more?

Thank you!

EDIT:
Based on this thread i1 display pro vs pro plus for projector?, it seems the Plus wouldn't have any advantage for projector calibration, so i opted for the cheaper i1Display Pro (eodis3) .

·
Registered
861 Posts
I am trying to process all the information needed before starting the calibration process, but i’m still confused on what is the concrete step-by-step process.
As such, i’m trying to understand and compile a step-by-step process so I have a full understanding before starting.

The goal is to perform an Autocal calibration of a JVC 7900 (600H) with a xRite i1Display Pro (EODIS3), using the patch described in “Using Alternative Meters for JVC Autocal Software

The following shows the steps i compiled by reading the information presented in this and several other threads.
Please note that i’m not sure what I wrote bellow is accurate, as its my own interpretation of the data.

Step 0 – Meter Position
Given that I’m using an EODIS3, meter should face the screen, reading the center portion of the screen.
Based on the images I saw, the meter seems to be placed in a slight angle towards the screen, at about 30-50 cm of the screen?

Step 1 – Gamma calibration

Projector preparation
(Based on @Dominic Chan suggestions here):
1) Set iris to 0
2) Zoom to smallest image size
3) Adjust the sensor reposition/angle to get the maximum reading
4) Use Normal Quality (20 steps) instead of High Quality (33 steps).

0) In the settings (last option in the main menu), select gamma + color. Select 20 steps (per Dominic suggestion)
0a) Go to calibrate
1) Select a Standard color profile, iris to manual, switch all processing off, including CMD.
2) Select Gamma 2.2
3) Select 6500K color temp
4) Run the calibration.
5) Save the calibration, save the backup file (with INIT in the name) in a safe place.

Questions:
1 - Are the steps above correct?
2 - Given that in the next steps i want to calibrate a REC709 (Filter Off) and P3 Profile (Filter ON), how does it impact the steps above?

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
I am trying to process all the information needed before starting the calibration process, but i’m still confused on what is the concrete step-by-step process.
As such, i’m trying to understand and compile a step-by-step process so I have a full understanding before starting.

The goal is to perform an Autocal calibration of a JVC 7900 (600H) with a xRite i1Display Pro (EODIS3), using the patch described in “Using Alternative Meters for JVC Autocal Software

The following shows the steps i compiled by reading the information presented in this and several other threads.
Please note that i’m not sure what I wrote bellow is accurate, as its my own interpretation of the data.

Step 0 – Meter Position
Given that I’m using an EODIS3, meter should face the screen, reading the center portion of the screen.
Based on the images I saw, the meter seems to be placed in a slight angle towards the screen, at about 30-50 cm of the screen?

Step 1 – Gamma calibration

Projector preparation
(Based on @Dominic Chan suggestions here):
1) Set iris to 0
2) Zoom to smallest image size
3) Adjust the sensor reposition/angle to get the maximum reading
4) Use Normal Quality (20 steps) instead of High Quality (33 steps).

0) In the settings (last option in the main menu), select gamma + color. Select 20 steps (per Dominic suggestion)
0a) Go to calibrate
1) Select a Standard color profile, iris to manual, switch all processing off, including CMD.
2) Select Gamma 2.2
3) Select 6500K color temp
4) Run the calibration.
5) Save the calibration, save the backup file (with INIT in the name) in a safe place.

Questions:
1 - Are the steps above correct?
2 - Given that in the next steps i want to calibrate a REC709 (Filter Off) and P3 Profile (Filter ON), how does it impact the steps above?
If you have a REC709 Profile then might as well use that instead of Standard (although that will work too).
I personally use REC709F (with filter), which would eliminate one calibration if you use the same lamp power for SDR and HDR.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thank you for your input.

The JVC X7900 has 5 profiles: Film, Cinema, Animation, Natural, HDR, THX:

If i'm understanding correctly, given that i use the same lamp power for SDR and HDR, for the Gamma Calibration procedure i described above, i would select a REC709 profile with the Filter ON?

@Dominic Chan, here you mention:
... for each Lamp, CMD and Filter combination, there is only one set of gamma calibration data.
So if use a specific set of CMD settings, should i maintain those settings for a Gamma calibration, or i should set all CMD settings OFF?
I'm sorry for so many questions, but there are a lot conflicting information, and i would like to understand what is the correct approach to use.

·
Registered
10,072 Posts
Thank you for your input.

The JVC X7900 has 5 profiles: Film, Cinema, Animation, Natural, HDR, THX:

If i'm understanding correctly, given that i use the same lamp power for SDR and HDR, for the Gamma Calibration procedure i described above, i would select a REC709 profile with the Filter ON?
use.
What you list above are the Picture Modes, not profiles. The projector does not come with any REC709 (Standard may be close) profiles, so you need to download them or create them yourself, using Autocal.
If you create REC709 with filter then the same calibration will cover BT2020 as well. Each profile was created either with or without the filter, you cannot change the filter setting afterwards.

@Dominic Chan, here you mention:

So if use a specific set of CMD settings, should i maintain those settings for a Gamma calibration, or i should set all CMD settings OFF?
I'm sorry for so many questions, but there are a lot conflicting information, and i would like to understand what is the correct approach to use.
[/QUOTE]

If you always use CMD then there’s no need to calibrate with CMD off.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Thank you once again for your input!

I downloaded and Imported the REC709F, DCI-P3F and BT2020F Profiles, which Manni posted in the first post.
Once i imported those Profiles i realized the confusion i've made between Profiles and Picture Modes :)

I was then going to start a Gamma calibration using the REC709F Profile as you suggested, but my tripod does not accept the meter, i will have to buy an adapter before being able to use it :(

4521 - 4540 of 4584 Posts