AVS Forum banner

4661 - 4669 of 4669 Posts

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
The reference colour profile is Rec709, so using that profile allows you to see how close the calibration results are to the reference. Depends on the model of the projector, the unused User Profiles may correspond to Rec709; if not, you can download Manni’s profile, or create it yourself using Autocal.
You may not see the results of restoring the init file until after you restart the projector, or you may even need to reset it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The reference colour profile is Rec709, so using that profile allows you to see how close the calibration results are to the reference. Depends on the model of the projector, the unused User Profiles may correspond to Rec709; if not, you can download Manni’s profile, or create it yourself using Autocal.
You may not see the results of restoring the init file until after you restart the projector, or you may even need to reset it.
I have an RS-540. I am not seeing in the manual what corresponds to rec709, so I guess this is the worst of outcomes.
My picture is unwatchable- I am looking at a night sky with stars and it has as much red as black in it.
I did restart the projecter after importing the init file. I am importing again and trying to find the reset protocol while that processes. I hope that works...

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
I have an RS-540. I am not seeing in the manual what corresponds to rec709, so I guess this is the worst of outcomes.
My picture is unwatchable- I am looking at a night sky with stars and it has as much red as black in it.
I did restart the projecter after importing the init file. I am importing again and trying to find the reset protocol while that processes. I hope that works...
As mentioned previously, the Custom profile can be Rec709, even if they are not labelled as such.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i messed things up...
i have a new (used) RS620
i am an ISF/THX calibrator, but haven't done anything in the past few years (since 4K)
i have Calman 5 for Business, & (2) eye1-pro, & C6

i let the autocal run through, but i didn't initialize my eye1 (because i didn't read & thought it was going to give me a chance)
i didn't save at the end, but it loaded gamma & colour
everything is way too red...
not init file anywhere that i can find

OK, so i'll just init my eye1 in calman, stop calman, start up V9 again
now it doesn't read red or blue - just get Lv 0000 - cancelled
tried my other eye1 - same
rebooted laptop, repaired V9 software - same
sometimes wouldn't communicate with PJ, went into network, dhcp off/on

what am i missing here? - i am very IT savvy & have done lots of calibrations

edit:
turned PJ off, had lunch
came back, same procedure, calman init, V9 (gamma only) this time
seemed to work OK, had values again, curve looked OK - saved to PJ this time
going back to do colour

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
i messed things up...
i have a new (used) RS620
i am an ISF/THX calibrator, but haven't done anything in the past few years (since 4K)
i have Calman 5 for Business, & (2) eye1-pro, & C6

i let the autocal run through, but i didn't initialize my eye1 (because i didn't read & thought it was going to give me a chance)
i didn't save at the end, but it loaded gamma & colour
everything is way too red...
not init file anywhere that i can find

OK, so i'll just init my eye1 in calman, stop calman, start up V9 again
now it doesn't read red or blue - just get Lv 0000 - cancelled
tried my other eye1 - same
rebooted laptop, repaired V9 software - same
sometimes wouldn't communicate with PJ, went into network, dhcp off/on

what am i missing here? - i am very IT savvy & have done lots of calibrations

edit:
turned PJ off, had lunch
came back, same procedure, calman init, V9 (gamma only) this time
seemed to work OK, had values again, curve looked OK - saved to PJ this time
going back to do colour
There is no need to initialize the meter “externally” as Autocal includes the initialization step.
The i1Pro does not work well for gamma calibration as it is unable to read the low level patches accurately.
If you didn’t save the calibration results the red tint is only temporary and will away when you switch profiles (and when you restart the projector).
The Init file is only saved on the computer when you save the calibration.

·
Registered
204 Posts
OK thanks

my problem was my signal generator (Accupel 4000) was in YPrPb 4:4:4 mode - not RGB Video - that fixed the red colour - damn it's been a while, should have remembered
i saved the gamma & colour & i see the init file now
but still mot correct - a bit of red in the dark bars
trying to calibrate with Calman, but i am fighting all the adjustments, nothing is close
would i be better off doing a full factory reset and reload the init file & start again
only need 709 at the moment - no 4K sources
also ~1900hrs on the bulb

i wanted to do a quick calibration now, put new bulb in, wait 100hrs and then recheck
the owner before me didn't have it calibrated, but has played with the settings

·
Registered
10,668 Posts
OK thanks

my problem was my signal generator (Accupel 4000) was in YPrPb 4:4:4 mode - not RGB Video - that fixed the red colour - damn it's been a while, should have remembered
i saved the gamma & colour & i see the init file now
but still not correct
trying to calibrate with Calman, but i am fighting all the adjustments, nothing is close
would i be better off doing a full factory reset and reload the init file & start again
only need 709 at the moment - no 4K sources
also ~1900hrs on the bulb

i wanted to do a quick calibration now, put new bulb in, wait 100hrs and then recheck
Did you measure with CalMAN prior to autocal? If the results are worse after autocal then restore the Init file. As I mentioned previously, i1Pro doesn't work that well with JVC gamma autocal.
You can also try using the C6, but that requires with the "Alternative" DLLs.

·
Registered
204 Posts
restored my init file, reset all values (not factory reset)
now my red point is up near the yellow point in gamut??
definitely very little red in the picture
did the restore not work properly?

restored again - same result
tried doing autocal colour - half my readings from my eye1 are Lv 00000
can't seem to get autocal to read my meter correctly

·
Registered
64 Posts
Am I correct in understanding that the MaxCLL value reported in my RS540's "info" screen corresponds to the max nits for the particular content?

I ask since I've noticed much of my streaming 4K content is well under 1000nits (500-600), and I wonder if creating an additional "low" content nits custom curve might be beneficial for that stuff... currently I have been using a 1200nit curve (tweaked based on Javs' V3). But perhaps that parameter is different from what I think, or might be misreported somewhere in the stack (using a Roku Ultra to the PJ).

4661 - 4669 of 4669 Posts