AVS Forum banner

461 - 480 of 4669 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Manni - this is a really dumb question, but after I followed your full autocal instructions, do I need to still go in with a calibration blu ray and adjust anything else like.....Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint, etc.? Thanks

·
Registered
4,582 Posts
I did an AutoCal this weekend on my 400 with a 5 and the new software.
Only did "Natural" /normal)up and back @-15/10/5 with/without CMD(manual iris).
Looks a bit washed out, gonna give it a few, if I don't like it I'll try again this weekend.

Reactions: atabea

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Manni - this is a really dumb question, but after I followed your full autocal instructions, do I need to still go in with a calibration blu ray and adjust anything else like.....Contrast, Brightness, Color, Tint, etc.? Thanks
I could be totally off, but I think you just have to calibrate 100% white (assuming you have the appropriate software and meter----like calman, chromapure etc)

·
Registered
619 Posts
hi guys
just ran my 1st calibration. gamma, color, and color temp came out as such:

now this maybe a dumb question butwhen i was doing phase 2 on manni's steps, w/ the cmd on i noticed my gamma curve change, even though i was doing color only
is this normal?

finally i ran the 709 w/ filter since i used cinema2 which applies the filter.

how do my results look?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #465 ·
Would appreciate any help on completing a successful auto calibration of my RS600.
I have RS600, Spyder5 Elite, Version 7 auto calibration software, windows10 64bit.

I have followed Manni01's recommendations for calibration.
The software completes the gamma calibration then skips color. It then completed is calculations and sends them to the projector. When the completed summary of the calibration is displayed it says error for 100% white. This of course throws the calibration out the window. The colors are whacky and totally off.

I guess my question is what could cause a error reading 100% white?

Thanks....:(
Most likely meter placement. It has to be facing the projector, aiming at the lens, without any ambiant light. Make sure it's at the right distance when set to the user mode you plan to calibrate. It has to be inside the box on the first screen that help you to adjust distance.

Only contrast and brightness if necessary, forget about tint and color. As long as your colour preset isn't undersaturated you shouldn't need to use these (or the CMS). They make things worse.

I did an AutoCal this weekend on my 400 with a 5 and the new software.
Only did "Natural" /normal)up and back @-15/10/5 with/without CMD(manual iris).
Looks a bit washed out, gonna give it a few, if I don't like it I'll try again this weekend.
Reset all your gamma and color temp settings when calibrating an SDR preset. You only need minor gamma correction in SDR after an autocal, like +2 on dark gamma to get a BT1886 from a 2.4 preset. You can't use the HDR gamma settings for SDR, so calibrate to different user settings with different gamma custom presets.

hi guys
just ran my 1st calibration. gamma, color, and color temp came out as such:

now this maybe a dumb question butwhen i was doing phase 2 on manni's steps, w/ the cmd on i noticed my gamma curve change, even though i was doing color only
is this normal?

finally i ran the 709 w/ filter since i used cinema2 which applies the filter.

how do my results look?
Bad :)

Don't use the filter for a rec-709 calibration, it wrecks the saturations. Please follow the instructions and use standard during calibration, then select an uploaded rec-709nf and autocal it.

Make sure you select color only in the settings after having done gamma, so that it skips the gamma steps. You should see a dash after gamma in the post cal results, meaning it's been skipped and won't be saved.

Make sure you follow the updated procedure I described in my last calibration, it's much simpler and faster but I recommend you create an SDR rec-709 preset based on standard during calibration and then rec-709nf, and an HDR bt2020 preset based on reference during calibration then the bt2020 profile.

If you stray aside from these, you get weird results like the one you posted :)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Make sure you follow the updated procedure I described in my last calibration, it's much simpler and faster but I recommend you create an SDR rec-709 preset based on standard during calibration and then rec-709nf, and an HDR bt2020 preset based on reference during calibration then the bt2020 profile.
Can you link to the "last calibration" you mentioned.
thanks
dan

·
Registered
221 Posts
IMDave, did you manage to buy & try the Express? I'm also Oz based and can't stomach $290 for a meter especially if there is a chance it won't be as accurate as it should. $190 is worth the risk.
Well good news .
Picked up my EXPRESS model Spyder 5 this afternoon.
Firstly. A big thank you to Manni for making this thread idiot proof.
I can confirm the Express works with v7, so save your $$$ folks.
What I can't confirm is whether it is an accurate unit or not.
I took some screen grabs of the gamma and colour calibrations , and will try and upload them for some feedback when I get more time.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Most likely meter placement. It has to be facing the projector, aiming at the lens, without any ambiant light. Make sure it's at the right distance when set to the user mode you plan to calibrate. It has to be inside the box on the first screen that help you to adjust distance.

Manni01, I tried multiple calibrations always making sure the meter was within the rectangle. I even varied the tilt of the meter. I'm using the high lamp setting for the calibration. I also discovered with the first calibration to remove my anamorphic lens....that didn't work out so well. I setup the meter inside the rectangle which was about 2 1/2 feet from face of projector. The face of the meter angled directly into the projected beam. I also noticed when doing the 33 step cal. for Blue the last 3 steps (the brightest) came back with all zero's for results.

I will try again today to run the software. One side note, I'm using Beta builds of Windows 10 64bit. I don't think that is a factor. I have another laptop with the non beta Window 10 so I will try using it as a trouble shooting measure.

Any other trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #469 ·

Manni01, I tried multiple calibrations always making sure the meter was within the rectangle. I even varied the tilt of the meter. I'm using the high lamp setting for the calibration. I also discovered with the first calibration to remove my anamorphic lens....that didn't work out so well. I setup the meter inside the rectangle which was about 2 1/2 feet from face of projector. The face of the meter angled directly into the projected beam. I also noticed when doing the 33 step cal. for Blue the last 3 steps (the brightest) came back with all zero's for results.

I will try again today to run the software. One side note, I'm using Beta builds of Windows 10 64bit. I don't think that is a factor. I have another laptop with the non beta Window 10 so I will try using it as a trouble shooting measure.

Any other trouble shooting ideas would be appreciated.
Sounds like you're way too close to the projector. You need to fully open the iris when you do gamma, and make sure the Spyder icon on the screen in the box is as close to the right of the box on the screen as possible.

It shouldn't read 0 on any color, at any level. Something is wrong with your setup.

Make sure that the shadow of the meter is at the centre of the screen, and make sure the reflexion of the meter when you position it using the white pattern reflects back just above or just below the lens, but not into the lens.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sounds like you're way too close to the projector. You need to fully open the iris when you do gamma, and make sure the Spyder icon on the screen in the box is as close to the right of the box on the screen as possible.

It shouldn't read 0 on any color, at any level. Something is wrong with your setup.

Make sure that the shadow of the meter is at the centre of the screen, and make sure the reflexion of the meter when you position it using the white pattern reflects back just above or just below the lens, but not into the lens.

Manni01, thanks all good points.

I set up the iris to manual full open as per your post on how to use calibration software. I do remember something about placement to the right in the box..I'll do that during my next try. I made sure the placement of the meter fell within the center of my screen. I'll also try to see if I see a reflection coming off the meter and reflecting back at the projector lens. Not sure with a bright projector on how to see this refection..

When you calibrated yours how far was the meter from the projector?

Thanks again...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Well good news .
Picked up my EXPRESS model Spyder 5 this afternoon.
Firstly. A big thank you to Manni for making this thread idiot proof.
I can confirm the Express works with v7, so save your $$$ folks.
What I can't confirm is whether it is an accurate unit or not.
I took some screen grabs of the gamma and colour calibrations , and will try and upload them for some feedback when I get more time.
Hello IMDave,
does the spyder express have screw for tripod
as well as the ambient luminosity sensor present in the other probes?
Thank's
Jean-Jacques

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Manni, can you please clarify this quote?

Are you saying that when running the Color-only autocal for BT2020, I should select REFERENCE?

thanks

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #474 ·
Manni, can you please clarify this quote?

Are you saying that when running the Color-only autocal for BT2020, I should select REFERENCE?

thanks
No, I mean as per my recent procedure that you need to select a standard profile during gamma calibration that will be as close as possible to the profile/filter combination you will actually use.

So in user1 I have my rec-709-NF profile selected when playing blurays, when calibrating gamma+color I will temporarily select the standard colour profile (preset closest to rec-709 that doesn't use the filter), then I will select my rec-709NF custom profile and run a colour only autocal.

In user 2 I have my bt2020 custom profile selected when playing UHD Bluray in HDR, so when calibrating gamma+color I will temporarily select the reference colour profile (preset closest to BT2020 that does use the filter), then I will select my bt2020 custom profile and run a color only autocal.

You have to select a factory colour profile to be able to run gamma, but you want to select one that's the closest to the one you'll actually use.

Again all this is detailed in my updated procedure. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Manni01, thanks all good points.

I set up the iris to manual full open as per your post on how to use calibration software. I do remember something about placement to the right in the box..I'll do that during my next try. I made sure the placement of the meter fell within the center of my screen. I'll also try to see if I see a reflection coming off the meter and reflecting back at the projector lens. Not sure with a bright projector on how to see this refection..

When you calibrated yours how far was the meter from the projector?

Thanks again...
Manni01 I moved the S5 about 10.5ft from the projector. The gamma calibration now completes with no errors. The software skips color calibration. Is suppose to do that even though it's selected in the software? Do you have to run color calibration after you upload the results of the calibration? I have posted the results of the first calibration of gamma. Are the results acceptable? Is the blue line the before and the straight white line the after cal. results?

Thanks for your guidance...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #477 ·
Manni01 I moved the S5 about 10.5ft from the projector. The gamma calibration now completes with no errors. The software skips color calibration. Is suppose to do that even though it's selected in the software? Do you have to run color calibration after you upload the results of the calibration? I have posted the results of the first calibration of gamma. Are the results acceptable? Is the blue line the before and the straight white line the after cal. results?

Thanks for your guidance...

The software should do the colour calibration if you have selected gamma+color in the settings. I have no idea why it didn't, but in your screenshots it looks like it did as there is no dash in the results. I can't remember which color means what, I think that blue is pre-cal, white is post-cal and green is target, but I could be wrong (I could have white and green mixed up). I think you have to hover over the graph for the software to display the legend.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
When calibrating gamma and colour with the rec2020 profile from JVC and the D gamma using user1 should the gamma parameters and contrast/brightness bet set to zero or the values used when watching HDR content? I did the latter and the gamma after calibration has an S shape and even some overshoot towards the end. Is this normal? Visually the result looks ok, though.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
When calibrating gamma and colour with the rec2020 profile from JVC and the D gamma using user1 should the gamma parameters and contrast/brightness bet set to zero or the values used when watching HDR content? I did the latter and the gamma after calibration has an S shape and even some overshoot towards the end. Is this normal? Visually the result looks ok, though.
I ended up with the same "S" shaped gamma curve that manni said was not normal. I have to redo everything tonight.

·
Registered
4,940 Posts
I ended up with the same "S" shaped gamma curve that manni said was not normal. I have to redo everything tonight.
So one should select the reference profile, set the gamma to D and do gamma and colour calibration? With the parameters all set to zero? Then go to user 1 and select the Rec2020 profile and gamma D and do colour again? With parameters set to zero? And then set the parameters where they belong?

461 - 480 of 4669 Posts