AVS Forum banner

481 - 500 of 4669 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #481 ·
So one should select the reference profile, set the gamma to D and do gamma and colour calibration? With the parameters all set to zero? Then go to user 1 and select the Rec2020 profile and gamma D and do colour again? With parameters set to zero? And then set the parameters where they belong?
You shouldn't be using gamma D when calibrating with the Autocal as the PJ is not in HDR and the JVC Autocal doesn't support HDR during calibration. You should set the gamma you use with SDR BT2020, with all the gamma settings set to zero. Gamma D will be calibrated along with the other presets, but it shouldn't be selected during the autocal. What should be selected is the lamp mode and filter mode you are going to use.

Gamma D should only be used with HDR content, when the PJ is in HDR mode.

Again, I have recommended to set gamma manually to a standard gamma in your HDR BT2020 settings, so that when SDR content is played the correct gamma curve is applied. When HDR content is detected, Gamma D will be selected automatically.

Please read the new procedure, I've detailed all the settings and all the user modes I use.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
No, I mean as per my recent procedure that you need to select a standard profile during gamma calibration that will be as close as possible to the profile/filter combination you will actually use.

So in user1 I have my rec-709-NF profile selected when playing blurays, when calibrating gamma+color I will temporarily select the standard colour profile (preset closest to rec-709 that doesn't use the filter), then I will select my rec-709NF custom profile and run a colour only autocal.

In user 2 I have my bt2020 custom profile selected when playing UHD Bluray in HDR, so when calibrating gamma+color I will temporarily select the reference colour profile (preset closest to BT2020 that does use the filter), then I will select my bt2020 custom profile and run a color only autocal.

You have to select a factory colour profile to be able to run gamma, but you want to select one that's the closest to the one you'll actually use.

Again all this is detailed in my updated procedure. :)
Thank you, Manni, for taking the time to explain the process to us novices. I think I am getting confused as to when to run gamma and color as opposed to running color only. I plan on spending some quality time calibrating tonight so I really want to get it right this time. I was under the impression that I only had to run gamma once, such as when doing the standard color profile for REC 709. After that, I just run the color calibration for each custom profile, such as 709NF, BT2020 etc. However, based on your examples above, it seems that I should rum both gamma and color for each of the REC 709 and the BT2020 profiles. Is that correct?

Thanks Manni

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #484 ·
Thank you, Manni, for taking the time to explain the process to us novices. I think I am getting confused as to when to run gamma and color as opposed to running color only. I plan on spending some quality time calibrating tonight so I really want to get it right this time. I was under the impression that I only had to run gamma once, such as when doing the standard color profile for REC 709. After that, I just run the color calibration for each custom profile, such as 709NF, BT2020 etc. However, based on your examples above, it seems that I should rum both gamma and color for each of the REC 709 and the BT2020 profiles. Is that correct?

Thanks Manni
No, you have to re-run gamma every time you change lamp mode or filter setting, and you have to run color every time you change iris range (if you want the autocal to be as precise as it can be over the whole iris range). This is done using the standard color profile (for rec-709) or the reference colour profile (for bt2020). Then you have to run the color autocal for each custom color profile once.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
No, you have to re-run gamma every time you change lamp mode or filter setting, and you have to run color every time you change iris range (if you want the autocal to be as precise as it can be over the whole iris range). This is done using the standard color profile (for rec-709) or the reference colour profile (for bt2020). Then you have to run the color autocal for each custom color profile once.
Ahhhhhh, I get it now. Thanks a bunch, Manni.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
You shouldn't be using gamma D when calibrating with the Autocal as the PJ is not in HDR and the JVC Autocal doesn't support HDR during calibration. You should set the gamma you use with SDR BT2020, with all the gamma settings set to zero. Gamma D will be calibrated along with the other presets, but it shouldn't be selected during the autocal. What should be selected is the lamp mode and filter mode you are going to use.

Gamma D should only be used with HDR content, when the PJ is in HDR mode.

Again, I have recommended to set gamma manually to a standard gamma in your HDR BT2020 settings, so that when SDR content is played the correct gamma curve is applied. When HDR content is detected, Gamma D will be selected automatically.

Please read the new procedure, I've detailed all the settings and all the user modes I use.
where is the new procedure??
Is it post 1 of this thread??
thanks
dan

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello IMDave,
does the spyder express have screw for tripod
as well as the ambient luminosity sensor present in the other probes?
Thank's
Jean-Jacques
Yes, the EXPRESS has the tripod mount and front luminosity sensor ( not that I have tested it, because I do not plan on running the Environment adjustments).
It is exactly the same unit as the PRO and ELITE models.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Manni01 I moved the S5 about 10.5ft from the projector. The gamma calibration now completes with no errors. The software skips color calibration. Is suppose to do that even though it's selected in the software? Do you have to run color calibration after you upload the results of the calibration? I have posted the results of the first calibration of gamma. Are the results acceptable? Is the blue line the before and the straight white line the after cal. results?

Thanks for your guidance...
brbecker, there is something decidedly wrong with the colour temperature of your "Natural" preset. It should be 6500k, but yours is showing well over 7000k. Looking at the last graph, you are nowhere near D65. Have a look at my graphs in post #467.
Now I, too, am looking for feedback as to whether my Autocal is "on the money", but at least I know I'm in the ballpark.
Maybe go into the projector menu settings and check how your "Natural" is set up. You might have it set at 7500k instead of 6500k?

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #489 ·
where is the new procedure??
Is it post 1 of this thread??
thanks
dan
Post 2 is the old procedure.

Post 9 and 10 is the updated procedure.

It's all in post 1, so starting by reading post 1 and all the recommended documents / links REALLY helps :)

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yes, the EXPRESS has the tripod mount and front luminosity sensor ( not that I have tested it, because I do not plan on running the Environment adjustments).
Well, I will buy one soon.
Thank IMDave

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #491 ·
Can you confirm that the Express works with the JVC autocal? Did you get good results out of it?

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Post 2 is the old procedure.

Post 9 and 10 is the updated procedure.

It's all in post 1, so starting by reading post 1 and all the recommended documents / links REALLY helps :)
thanks
dan

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
When is "Screen Adjustment Mode" info used?
http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/projector/screen/
The Auto Cal manual says to "disable screen mode" before calibration but the associated images/pictures in the manual do not show a dropdown or box to disable it.

What is it for?
Thanks
dan

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can you confirm that the Express works with the JVC autocal? Did you get good results out of it?
Hoping you can tell me Manni. :)
See my post from the previous page #467
Certainly the projected image from a BR looks very good, post cal.
Having said that, I think my image was pretty good at the 170hr mark on the lamp, and I wouldn't say the difference between "calibrated" and "uncalibrated" was night and day.
Certainly, I'm glad I didn't spend $A300 for the experiment. Just happy ( placebo effect???) to think that the X7000 is now calibrated to the extent the "law of diminishing returns" applies and I won't be taking it any further. ( Famous last words, I know :)

·
Premium Member
10,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #495 ·
Well good news .
Picked up my EXPRESS model Spyder 5 this afternoon.
Firstly. A big thank you to Manni for making this thread idiot proof.
I can confirm the Express works with v7, so save your $$$ folks.
What I can't confirm is whether it is an accurate unit or not.
I took some screen grabs of the gamma and colour calibrations , and will try and upload them for some feedback when I get more time.
Sorry I missed that post :)

This looks as good as it can be with the Autocal, so without another meter/software to check that's as good as it gets.

170 hours isn't that much for drastic changes, do another autocal in about 500 hours, you should see more benefits.

Great to know the Express works just as well.

Good job (just re-watched Hancock recently) :)

·
Registered
221 Posts
This looks as good as it can be with the Autocal, so without another meter/software to check that's as good as it gets.
Thanks Manni, I was really hoping you were going to say that.
Couldn't have done it without this thread and your Rec 709-NF profile.
Many thanks.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Just a comparison to indicate that my Spyder 5 Express is at least precise ( can't confirm it's accuracy for 100% white D65 at this stage).
In this case , User 2 is my Profile for 3D ( High lamp,iris at -6, Rec 709NF ), and User 1 is my Profile for BR ( Low lamp, iris -12 , Rec 709NF). Damn close.:):):)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I re-ran my auto-cal last night and I think the results are infinitely better than my first try. In fact, I dare say it’s about the best image I have ever been able to achieve. Having done it a second time, and with Manni’s patient coaching, I now realize how terribly wrong I did it the first time.

My gamma no longer has that weird “S” curve. I can now watch Deadpool (HDR) without that sub-burnt look that I previously observed in some scenes. And while Black Crush is greatly diminished, I can still see it to some extent (in Deadpool anyway and practically non-existent on Revenant. Don’t know what it is about the the Revenant but that movie looks the best of all.

I started off running a full gamma and color calibration in NATURAL Picture Mode, Standard Color Profile, 6500K Pre-set and Normal Gamma. All processing turned off, Low Lamp, Iris manual and fully open. After saving the results, I ran a color-only calibration for the various Iris settings (-5, -7, -9, -11, -13). I also ran an identical color-only calibration in USER 2 for Manni’s REC709 NF custom profile, at the same Iris intervals.

I then ran a full gamma and color calibration for SDR BT2020 in USER 3, REFERENCE Color Profile, 6500 K pre-set, still in Low Lamp, followed by a color- only calibration for USER 3, BT2020 Color Profile, at the various Iris settings.

For Natural, REC 709 NF, and SDR BT2020, I am using a custom 2.4 Gamma correction with +2 on dark gamma for a BT1886 curve.

After completing the above, I then switched to HIGH LAMP mode, Iris fully open, and ran a full Gamma and Color Calibration with User1, REFERENCE Color Profile, Normal Gamma, Manual Iris, all processing turned off. After saving I ran a color-only calibration of User 1, JVC’s BT2020 Custom Color Profile, Manual Iris full open, then at -5 and then at -7 etc.

When I was done with the JVC software/autocal/Spyder 5, I switched over to Chromapure/iD3 Pro and calibrated 100% white. As you can see in the attached images, the DE was around 3 so it didn’t take much to tweak it down to .3 DE.

Can't say for sure if my Spyder is a good sample so I will leave that to Manni to pronounce it either way. Like I said, my image is spectacular so it can’t be all bad. The only thing I would want to improve right now is to correct the small bit of occasional black crush----which I can only detect in Deadpool so maybe it's just that movie.

I am attaching some screen shots for the usual suspects to review. There are two things left for me to do:
(1) Figure out how to integrate my HD FURY so I can try SDR BT2020 and
(2) Figure out how to use the Sony Test Patterns and determine where to clip white in HDR.

Kevin said it’s pretty simple using the apple app so we shall see.

A hearty thank-you to Manni and all the other helpful folks on these forums. I think a lot of us Novices would have given up on our BCMs if it weren’t for such folks.

Regards,
Rick

Attachments

481 - 500 of 4669 Posts