AVS Forum banner

541 - 560 of 4669 Posts

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Quick question: I use my Samsung UHD Player strictly for HDR stuff and I use my Samsung F7500 strictly for blu-ray. My UHD player is hooked up directly to the RS500 via HDMI 1 and the F7500 directly to HDMI 2. When I ran the JVC autocal, I had the JVC on HDMI 1 throughout the whole process. What I was wondering is whether the calibration for the REC709NF, which is on HDMI 2, would still apply. Just want to know if I have to re-run the process on their respective/dedicated inputs.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #542 · (Edited)
Quick question: I use my Samsung UHD Player strictly for HDR stuff and I use my Samsung F7500 strictly for blu-ray. My UHD player is hooked up directly to the RS500 via HDMI 1 and the F7500 directly to HDMI 2. When I ran the JVC autocal, I had the JVC on HDMI 1 throughout the whole process. What I was wondering is whether the calibration for the REC709NF, which is on HDMI 2, would still apply. Just want to know if I have to re-run the process on their respective/dedicated inputs.

Thanks
AFAIK the profiles are not input dependent but some settings, like the HDMI settings and possibly others are, so you might want to double check that every setting and user setting uses the correct options.

There shouldn't be any need to re-run the JVC Autocal.

·
Registered
30,979 Posts

Thanks
You should be calibrated, but like Manni said, setting like MPC and such have to be manually set per input.

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
Manni01,

I just completed a new calibration following your updated procedure. The Bluray calibration look great! Could you tell me if the BT2020 attachments show a successful calibration..thanks.
Your gamma is not correct. You need to redo it and make sure the meter is placed on the further most point of the rectangular box during the calibration.

Reactions: Manni01

·
Registered
7,240 Posts
Manni is the expert here, but I know it shouldn't be an S-curve. It should be along that line going up from left to right. You may want to retry and double-check the settings that Manni provides.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Manni01,

I just completed a new calibration following your updated procedure. The Bluray calibration look great! Could you tell me if the BT2020 attachments show a successful calibration..thanks.
your gamma is off should be a straight line..two possibilities,
1. perhaps because your trying to calibrate against GAMMA D. I am not sure this is possible.
2. Make sure you didn't leave the dynamic iris on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
1. perhaps because your trying to calibrate against GAMMA D. I am not sure this is possible.

mariob33 dynamic iris was off I think...will check...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
mariob33 dynamic iris was off I think...will check...
That "S" curve happened to me too and it is definitely wrong. I think I got that incorrect result when I selected Gama D while calibrating the BT2020 profile. you have to select something like normal gamma for it to work

·
Registered
221 Posts
That "S" curve happened to me too and it is definitely wrong. I think I got that incorrect result when I selected Gama D while calibrating the BT2020 profile. you have to select something like normal gamma for it to work
From Manni a couple of pages back:
" You can't measure gamma D without a pattenrn generator able to switch the PJ in HDR mode and a way to use an EOTF correct for a projector, which calibration software haven't sorted out yet (Calman should hopefully come up with something this month so we can use 5.7 and the Integral with a projector).

I assume atabea has used Chromapure with his i1d3 to read the Gamma D curve in SDR, which isn't relevant.

The Gamma D / PQ gamma curve can't be read without the correct tools. AFAIK, they are not avsilable for projectors yet."

:)

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #554 · (Edited)
What's wrong with the Gamma curve is the target (green line) which should also follow an S shape, but the JVC software isn't sophisticated enough to change the shape of the gamma curve when measuring gamma D, so the target always remain a straight line.

The calibration might be fine, but it's hard to say as we can't compare the target (green) to the after calibration measurement (white). Also, I doubt the measurements are correct as I don't think the Autocal is able to switch the PJ to HDR.

For this reason I suggest to use a standard gamma curve when calibrating and measuring. The gamma D curve will be corrected just like the others, but we don't have a way to check it yet as the EOTF for projectors isn't available yet. I understand Calman will have PJ specific EOTF for projectors soon.

In this case before running a new autocal you might just run a log only with a standard gamma selected to see if the white line follows the green line (it should be very close to it). If it is, there is no need to redo the gamma calibration.

·
Registered
48 Posts
What's wrong with the Gamma curve is the target (green line) which should also follow an S shape, but the JVC software isn't sophisticated enough to change the shape of the gamma curve when measuring gamma D, so the target always remain a straight line.

The calibration might be fine, but it's hard to say as we can't compare the target (green) to the after calibration measurement (white). Also, I doubt the measurements are correct as I don't think the Autocal is able to switch the PJ to HDR.

For this reason I suggest to use a standard gamma curve when calibrating and measuring. The gamma D curve will be corrected just like the others, but we don't have a way to check it yet as the EOTF for projectors isn't available yet. I understand Calman will have PJ specific EOTF for projectors soon.

In this case before running a new autocal you might just run a log only with a standard gamma selected to see if the white line follows the green line (it should be very close to it). If it is, there is no need to redo the gamma calibration.

Ok thanks...I'll setup the S5 meter again today and check...thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
From Manni a couple of pages back:
" You can't measure gamma D without a pattenrn generator able to switch the PJ in HDR mode and a way to use an EOTF correct for a projector, which calibration software haven't sorted out yet (Calman should hopefully come up with something this month so we can use 5.7 and the Integral with a projector).

I assume atabea has used Chromapure with his i1d3 to read the Gamma D curve in SDR, which isn't relevant.

The Gamma D / PQ gamma curve can't be read without the correct tools. AFAIK, they are not avsilable for projectors yet."

:)

Thanks..I'll try again today.

·
Registered
48 Posts

mariob33 you were correct during the BT2020 calibration Gamma D had been selected instead of standard. I redid the gamma calibration using standard gamma then did a color only calibration of BT2020 and the straight line from lower left to upper right was a straight line with a color temp. of D6500. :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
Hi,

One question, how do I backup the INIT file before I run the autocal?
I try the export but it shows only 3 types, jpd, prof and gamma for each profile type i.e. cinema, standard & natural

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hi,

One question, how do I backup the INIT file before I run the autocal?
I try the export but it shows only 3 types, jpd, prof and gamma for each profile type i.e. cinema, standard & natural
The INIT file is created and saved into the same folder as the first Autocal file. You need to run Autocal . There is no option to save INIT until the first Autocal is run.
As Manni has said, just make sure you put it in a safe place, as not to accidentally delete it.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
I saw a few mentions of the Spyder 5 Pro on sale, looks like the deal is over?

Between the express and the pro versions for the JVC, any recommendations on which one to get?

541 - 560 of 4669 Posts