AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 4389 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Anyone know if you can use the Spyder4tv probe with the JVC version 6.0 calibration software? It is the same probe as the 4 pro or elite with software specific for calibrating HD displays.
For anyone interested I emailed JVC support - the Spyder4tv probe will work with the version 6.0 software. I was able to find new one on clearance for $99 Cdn.

·
Premium Member
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for letting us know, please confirm here when you get it to work and I'll add this info to the first post.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
I see there is a spyder capture pro kit on Amazon for $195. Says it includes the 4 elite (in addition to unneeded stuff).

Seems low cost? I see that the 5 elite and 5 pro as well as just the 4 elite by itself typically cost more?

·
Mod & Bluray Reviewer
2,564 Posts
I got a spyder4 at a local shop yesterday...went through the steps and am getting whacky results, however, gamma and grayscale seemed to track really well in the softwares results.
How do I determine if it is a bad meter?

Attachments

• Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
    156.6 KB Views: 453

·
Registered
13,277 Posts
check out page 8 in the instructions

http://www3.jvckenwood.com/english/download/file/JVC_PCS_manual6_en_v1_00.pdf

the meter has to face the projector around half way between the screen and projector.

The first calibration creates a baseline, you may have to end up restoring the factory settings from the INIT file it creates in the backup directory. I am not sure if a 2nd recal doing it the correct way will fix it.

Let's wait for Manni's input on this.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yes, and I suggest then to read the first post, read the user manual, read the links and read the recap.

This is NOT a plug and play software. I've taken the time to explain everything, if people don't take the time to read, there isn't much more I can do. :)
I can confirm the spyder4tv probe works with the JVC version 6 software. I calibrated a couple of user settings and everything seemed to work well. I do have a couple of questions I am hoping more knowledgeable members can provide the answers to:

1. Manni I downloaded your rec 709 NF file. I used it for a calibration of one of the user modes and I got the (-) beside the color temperature and gamma results. I read through your tutorial and the JVC manual. What I am missing?

2. Using the import feature under the settings tab, I attempted to restore the INIT file to the projector. It didn't appear to change my calibrated USER 1 and 2 back to factory. It also didn't remove Manni's REC 709 from the color profile choices. Did I not use the restore function properly or do I have to do a factory reset on the projector to complete the process?

Thank in advance:)

·
Premium Member
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I can confirm the spyder4tv probe works with the JVC version 6 software. I calibrated a couple of user settings and everything seemed to work well. I do have a couple of questions I am hoping more knowledgeable members can provide the answers to:

1. Manni I downloaded your rec 709 NF file. I used it for a calibration of one of the user modes and I got the (-) beside the color temperature and gamma results. I read through your tutorial and the JVC manual. What I am missing?

2. Using the import feature under the settings tab, I attempted to restore the INIT file to the projector. It didn't appear to change my calibrated USER 1 and 2 back to factory. It also didn't remove Manni's REC 709 from the color profile choices. Did I not use the restore function properly or do I have to do a factory reset on the projector to complete the process?

Thank in advance:)
You need to re-read the recap and follow the procedure. Autocal can't correct gamma or color temp if you select a custom color profile, hence the (-) after these. When a custom colour profile is corrected, only gamut is calibrated, which is why it's suggest to do it last, after gamma and color temp have been corrected.

Restoring the backup restores the default calibration tables/values, but doesn't reset the custom user names or user settings. If you want to reset these as well, you have to do a factory reset.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You need to re-read the recap and follow the procedure. Autocal can't correct gamma or color temp if you select a custom color profile, hence the (-) after these. When a custom colour profile is corrected, only gamut is calibrated, which is why it's suggest to do it last, after gamma and color temp have been corrected.

Restoring the backup restores the default calibration tables/values, but doesn't reset the custom user names or user settings. If you want to reset these as well, you have to do a factory reset.
Manni

Thanks for the quick reply. I did do the gamma and color temperature first, before downloading your REC 709 file. I guess I missed the part about not being able to calibrate a custom color profile.

·
Premium Member
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Manni

Thanks for the quick reply. I did do the gamma and color temperature first, before downloading your REC 709 file. I guess I missed the part about not being able to calibrate a custom color profile.
Then you are good to go :)

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
I just bought a used Spyder4Pro for $94. After reading through this thread it seems my C6 may be a more reliable meter. Should I just forego the JVC autocal and use my CalMAN/C6/eeColor system to calibrate from scratch or should I do an autocal with the Spyder and compare the results to the C6 running with CalMan to see what shape the Spyder is in? I assume the C6 has less unit-to-unit variability that what I read about the Spyder.

·
Premium Member
9,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
I just bought a used Spyder4Pro for $94. After reading through this thread it seems my C6 may be a more reliable meter. Should I just forego the JVC autocal and use my CalMAN/C6/eeColor system to calibrate from scratch or should I do an autocal with the Spyder and compare the results to the C6 running with CalMan to see what shape the Spyder is in? I assume the C6 has less unit-to-unit variability that what I read about the Spyder.
The main advantage of the JVC Autocal software is to provide a near perfect baseline with flat gamma and perfectly tracking gamut without the need for an external correction. For example, you can't passthrough 3D blurays or 4K content with an eecolor, and 4K content can't be calibrated by a non-pro Radiance.

This is only true if your specific spyder unit is reasonably accurate, and yes there is no way to know unless you measure it against a reference or near reference spectro. The i1d3 is fairly accurate on LCOS, so it is more likely to be better than the spyder4, but calman or the eecolor won't help you to correct the gamma droop once it gets really bad, or to correct 3D blurays or 4K content.

i would say that an average Spyder4 will get you at least 80% there, a better consumer meter like e i1d3 (or a known good spyder4 or 5) will then take you 90% there, and a reference meter with a 3D LUT will bridge the last gap (in the right hands).

For me, it's not either/or.

I use the JVC Autocal and my known good spyder4 to get a near perfect baseline for all my non MadVR corrected sources, including 4K content like content from an nVidia shield or a Roku 4 which can't be corrected by a non-pro Radiance, I use my Discus trained to an i1pro2 in Calman Ultimate to set 100% white to D65, get a BT1886 calibration for all my sources in 2 clicks on the dark gamma control, and then I run a full 3D LUT for MadVR in Calman (the same as eecolor except it doesn't prevent the playback of 3D Blurays or 4K content) for critical content on my HTPC, mostly my blurays and dvds.

While the JVC Autocal can be used on its own, it's not as easy to use as a good software with a decent consumer meter like the i1d3. It's not newbie friendly.

I see it as a tool amongst many which allows me to get the most out of my JVC, doing away with external 3D LUT boxes like the eecolor or my Radiance mini which get in the way of 3D and/or 4K content.

It's up to you to decide whether using the eecolor or a Radiance with an i1d3 is a better solution or not.

If you have a fully correctable colour profile, a gamma droop which is not so bad that it's not correctable by the eecolor without causing banding or posterization, and if you have no need to play 3D Bluray or 4K content, then I'd say stick to the eecolor. It's easier, faster, and you don't have to learn the JVC Autocal and deal with a possibly less accurate meter.

If you experience any of the above, then use to JVC Autocal to get a better baseline. It doesn't mean you can't use your i1d3 and eecolor to get even better results with some of your sources.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Has anyone contacted Datacolor to see if they can provide a response sheet for a select spyder meter? Could they hand select a meter?
I would be happy to pay a premium to get a known "good" spyder since I have no way of testing one myself.

This could be a small business opportunity for the entrepreneur who offers select on spec meters for JVC autocal.;)

41 - 60 of 4389 Posts