AVS Forum banner

961 - 980 of 4389 Posts

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I'm reading through the thread but wanted to go ahead and check on a specific point. I understand that I need to calibration for each position of the iris when I do the autocal however what effect is there on this because I use the dynamic iris? If I correct at each position will the projector be adjusting the grey-scale in real time with the dynamic iris or am I wasting my time in that case doing the calibration on the various iris positions?

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I'm reading through the thread but wanted to go ahead and check on a specific point. I understand that I need to calibration for each position of the iris when I do the autocal however what effect is there on this because I use the dynamic iris? If I correct at each position will the projector be adjusting the grey-scale in real time with the dynamic iris or am I wasting my time in that case doing the calibration on the various iris positions?
You do not need to calibrate each of the 16 (0-15) positions, only each range of positions. For example, Position 0, 1, 2, 3 share the same calibration. There are 4 or 5 ranges; they are listed in one of the earlier posts by Manni.

Dynamic iris will always affect the gamma, especially in the low end, so technically speaking the gamma would "wrong" with Dynamic Iris, but many people prefer the deeper black in spite of this.

Keep in mind, however, that the calibration corrects the colour as well, that's why it's important to calibrate all the ranges you're using.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hello. In post # 2, to Phase 2 when Manni says:
"... 0) Go to settings and select color. Gamma only needs to be run once, and it takes much longer when it's selected.
1) Go back to calibrate, and as we selected iris fully open (0) and no CMD, go down the range without CMD and back up the range with CMD. The effective ranges are slightly different but I use 0, -5, -10 and -15 as they are easy to remember and cover all the positions that have to be calibrated. If you don't do that, when you change the iris settings the greyscale will be wrong. Alternatively, you can calibrate only the iris setting you plan to use.
2) As iris open (0) / no CMD was done in PHASE 1, I then select the following settings for Lens AP:
-5 and calibrate (the process is much faster as only colour is selected, it's the gamma that takes the longer, especially if 33 steps/high was selected). Then I save.
-10 (calibrate) (save)
-15 (calibrate) (save)
3) I then switch to CMD On, calibrate and save (without changing Lens AP)
4) Then I go back up the lens AP settings, keeping CMD On:
-10 (calibrate) (save)
-5 (same)
0 (same).

which means that for each step I have to save with a different user (user 1, user 2 user 3 etc)?
thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
"... 0) Go to settings and select color. Gamma only needs to be run once, and it takes much longer when it's selected.
1) Go back to calibrate, and as we selected iris fully open (0) and no CMD, go down the range without CMD and back up the range with CMD. The effective ranges are slightly different but I use 0, -5, -10 and -15 as they are easy to remember and cover all the positions that have to be calibrated. If you don't do that, when you change the iris settings the greyscale will be wrong. Alternatively, you can calibrate only the iris setting you plan to use.
2) As iris open (0) / no CMD was done in PHASE 1, I then select the following settings for Lens AP:
-5 and calibrate (the process is much faster as only colour is selected, it's the gamma that takes the longer, especially if 33 steps/high was selected). Then I save.
-10 (calibrate) (save)
-15 (calibrate) (save)
3) I then switch to CMD On, calibrate and save (without changing Lens AP)
4) Then I go back up the lens AP settings, keeping CMD On:
-10 (calibrate) (save)
-5 (same)
0 (same).

which means that for each step I have to save with a different user (user 1, user 2 user 3 etc)?
thank you
What do you recommend as a probe to perform the JVC autocal:
1. Spyder 4 Elite
2. 5 Spyder Pro

It would seem better Spyder 4 posts from Manny's. I own the Spyder Pro 5, the I sell to buy the Spyder 4?

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
It would seem better Spyder 4 posts from Manny's. I own the Spyder Pro 5, the I sell to buy the Spyder 4?
Manni managed to get a really good sample ("golden") of Spyder4, but in general Spyder5 is superior.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
No, you follow those steps literally, i.e., only change the aperture and nothing else. It may sound strange, but one step does not overwrite the results from the previous step.

·
Registered
92 Posts
No, you follow those steps literally, i.e., only change the aperture and nothing else. It may sound strange, but one step does not overwrite the results from the previous step.
OK thanks. But the gray scale remains the same? Then, if I change the opening of the lamp from hight to low, I have to recalibrate Gamma + color?

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
So color+gamma only needs to be run literally once overall, or once per combination of settings? If its once overall, then I suppose it does not matter if this is done with CMD on/off or lamp mode or color profile selected?

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Hello,
I started with gamma-color calibration in :
NATURAL Picture Mode,
Standard Color Profile,
6500K Pre-set,
Normal Gamma.
All processing turned off, Low Lamp, Iris manual 0.

After saving the results, I run a color-only calibration for Iris settings -12, CMD OFF/ON.

I also run color calibration in USER 1 my profile for BR (Low lamp, Iris -12, Manni?s REC709 NF, CMD OFF/ON).

I am new in calibration JVC so I ask how are the results?
I tried to review your attached images so I could give you feedback. However they will not load. Not sure if its a problem with the website or the location where the images are stored.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
But the gray scale remains the same? Then, if I change the opening of the lamp from hight to low, I have to recalibrate Gamma + color?
I almost never run the projector in high lamp mode, so I have not confirmed if the gamma will remain the same.

However, I have confirmed that to get good grey scale at different settings, you do have to run autocal for colour at each of the iris range, CMD, and power settings.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Guys - Remember that if you calibrate high vs low lamp, let the lamp run about 30 minutes after you switch the lamp from low to high or high to low, so that the color temperature becomes steady and consistent.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This is something that I have also been wondering about. After running autocal a few times, here's my impression of how things work:
1. The Picture Mode is simply a preset combination of the individual settings (Colour Profile, Colour Temperature, Gamma, etc). What actually get calibrated by autocal are the "basic" settings (Colour Profile, Colour Temperature, Gamma, etc.) Since the different gamma curves are mathematically related, once you calibrate one, the projector can derive the other settings from the same measurements. Same with the Colour Temperature.
2. The projector contains different "tables" corresponding to Lamp high/low, Aperture Range and CMD settings (maybe something else as well). Each autocal run only updates a subset of the data in the projector when you select "send"; the other tables are unaffected.
3. When you click on Save at the end of calibration, the entire set of data store in the projector is downloaded and saved on the PC. [EDIT: I'm not entirely sure about this part].
This pretty much sums up the whole procedure--Thanks. As I recall--this thread was started & updated by Manni01 for folks who were pretty familiar with calibrating JVC's--not for noobs like us. I was hesitant to do an AutoCal for fear I'd screw it up--but I had no problems following the more recent guidelines. I think the key was greatly simplifying like Dominic mentioned.

Now I am getting brave enough to add the REC-709NF profile :)

Is this correct----I have run AutoCal (Gamma & Color) CMD=Low (that's all I plan to use) and with the Lamp=Low (I do not need High) Iris on the 0, followed by Color only for -5,-10,-15 Iris settings----Do all I have to do is Import Rec-709 No Filter.prof. IOW there is no other AutoCal I need to run to add this. I would then rename one of the User modes to REC709 and select this Profile--correct?

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is this correct----I have run AutoCal (Gamma & Color) CMD=Low (that's all I plan to use) and with the Lamp=Low (I do not need High) Iris on the 0, followed by Color only for -5,-10,-15 Iris settings----Do all I have to do is Import Rec-709 No Filter.prof. IOW there is no other AutoCal I need to run to add this. I would then rename one of the User modes to REC709 and select this Profile--correct?
Thanks,
Ron

I think I understand that if you want the color profile Rec-709NF for each of the steps related to -5, -10, -15 Iris settings, you need to do calibration only color space with Rec-709NF set for each Iris setting (0, -5, -10 to -15).
p.s. sorry for my english

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have re-run New calibration for my rs500 with this setting:
1.) gamma + color for User1 SDR Rec709, Color Profile Standard, Gamma Normal, Color Temp Costum1 with 6500k preset, Iris -10, CMD off, clear Black off, Lamp Low, e-shift off, enanched +2.

2.) Run only Color calibration with same settings but Color profile Rec709NF.

Result: very good image!!!

P.S. Sorry for my english

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I almost never run the projector in high lamp mode, so I have not confirmed if the gamma will remain the same.

However, I have confirmed that to get good grey scale at different settings, you do have to run autocal for colour at each of the iris range, CMD, and power settings.
So, to be clear run autocal for both high and low lamp? I almost always watch in low lamp, but UHD will be a high lamp activity.

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
So, to be clear run autocal for both high and low lamp? I almost always watch in low lamp, but UHD will be a high lamp activity.
Yes, you definitely need to run autocal for both high and low lamp, at least for the colour.

961 - 980 of 4389 Posts