AVS Forum banner

1941 - 1960 of 4389 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
FYI: After loading the color profile, apparently the projector needs to be turned off and turned on again for it to take affect and be calibrated.
Just a quick note for people new to autocal/custom color profiles: you only need to power cycle the PJ after uploading a custom color profile that involves the filter. The filter won't engage for that new profile until you do. For any of Manni's "NF" profiles- you're good to go as soon as the transfer completes. No need to cycle power.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Do Manni's curves work and look identically on the 420/520/620 as they did the 400/500/600?

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
I ran an AutoCal with Color + Gamma and on the projector I had selected HDR user presets. So I Autocaled BT2020 + Custom Curve. Is that ok? It seems to conflict in this thread.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I ran an AutoCal with Color + Gamma and on the projector I had selected HDR user presets. So I Autocaled BT2020 + Custom Curve. Is that ok? It seems to conflict in this thread.
Always Gamma Normal during calibration. Even for the HDR/BT2020 preset. Follow my guide above. :)

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Always Gamma Normal during calibration. Even for the HDR/BT2020 preset. Follow my guide above. :)
Not if you own the current model RSX20 projectors.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
A quick question for the JVC AutoCal (Ver. 7) experts. If I am just wanting to do a calibration for gamma then load/save to the projector, what is the procedure after the gamma auto-calibration is finished? When I 'save' this only saves a *.cbd file and no there is no *.jgd file saved to my PC. The calibration software's import function requires a *.jgd file to import/save the new gamma to the projector. However, I can create and load to the projector a new user Color Profile using the Import function. I do know there is a function in the software to do a custom gamma calibration (not the auto gamma calibration) and it is supposed to save that custom gamma info in a *jgd file. What am I missing for when I just want to update the gamma calibration using the auto calibration function, or does the Save function at the end of a gamma auto gamma calibration not only save a backup file on the PC, as it says in the JVC manual, but also automatically saves (imports) the result to the projector?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If I use Manni's gamma curves on my rs620, there are only three custom settings. He has four gamma curves. Which ones shoud I download? Or, what do I assign the fourth curve to?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Also, why does it takes three weeks to restore the init file? Holy moly.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Guys, I've performed an AutoCal calibration (Gamma + Color) for HDR and SDR normal gamma for both, -6 iris and low lamp for SDR and 0 iris High lamp for HDR. I read that "Reference" should be used when calibrating HDR, so do I just need to select the BT2020 color profile now that the AutoCal is complete. Do I now need to do a color only calibration? If I were to use one of Manni's custom gamma curves for HDR, do I just import it/them and use them, or is there another step/s that need to be taken once I've imported the curves? Also, I don't see anywhere during the Autocal that allows me to adjust anything Ex Nit, 0.005 for black etc. is that used during some other process?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Guys, I've performed an AutoCal calibration (Gamma + Color) for HDR and SDR normal gamma for both, -6 iris and low lamp for SDR and 0 iris High lamp for HDR. I read that "Reference" should be used when calibrating HDR, so do I just need to select the BT2020 color profile now that the AutoCal is complete. Do I now need to do a color only calibration? If I were to use one of Manni's custom gamma curves for HDR, do I just import it/them and use them, or is there another step/s that need to be taken once I've imported the curves? Also, I don't see anywhere during the Autocal that allows me to adjust anything Ex Nit, 0.005 for black etc. is that used during some other process?
Yes, the Reference color profile should be selected when running the gamma/color calibration and you definitely SHOULD do a color-only autocal with the BT2020 color profile. Only time you can skip the color only step is if you have created a color profile using the same spyder and another software (like calman), in which case you just upload the created profile. In the event you do not have the ability/equipment to create a custom color profile, you should put up a 100% white pattern and use the Gains controls to adjust to D65. Of course that would mean purchasing a second, more accurate, meter (such as the i1D3) and another calibration software such as HCFR (free), Chromapure or Calman. But that final step makes a lot of difference. With regard to Manni's curves, yes, you can simply download them and upload into the JVC. While they work extremely well, your next step should be learning to use Arve's tool to create your own custom curves . Trust me, if you figured out how to use the JVC software, you will have no problems using Arve's tool.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Yes, the Reference color profile should be selected when running the gamma/color calibration and you definitely SHOULD do a color-only autocal with the BT2020 color profile.
So the color only calibration is meant only for the BT2020 color profile and has nothing to do with the user profile gamma/color calibration? Can I just import one of Manni's custom gamma curves in place of Gamma D or messing with creating my own? If so, after the color only profile is complete, Manni's custom gamma curve is imported, can I then pop a movie in, select my HDR profile, select BT2020 as the color profile, select Manni's custom gamma curve and enjoy? Or is there something else I'm missing?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
So the color only calibration is meant only for the BT2020 color profile and has nothing to do with the user profile gamma/color calibration? Can I just import one of Manni's custom gamma curves in place of Gamma D or messing with creating my own? If so, after the color only profile is complete, Manni's custom gamma curve is imported, can I then pop a movie in, select my HDR profile, select BT2020 as the color profile, select Manni's custom gamma curve and enjoy? Or is there something else I'm missing?
The color-only cal applies to every color profile you use so you should run a color cal for each profile. Yes, you certainly CAN use Manni's custom curves to keep things simple. However, please be aware that while those curves are a good starting point they are low-resolution copies compared to the ones you can generate directly with Arve's tool. In addition, you can tweak the curves to suite your own environment. I suggest you use Manni's curves, which are infinitely superior to gamma D, while you familiarize yourself with Arve's tool. One thing you have to always remember about using custom curves is that the the JVC naturally defaults to Gamma D whenever HDMI handshake is established or broken----so you have to ensure that you manually check and change back to the custom gamma curve of your choice. That should always be your final step before sitting back and enjoying a 4K/HDR movie. Of course, you can purchase a HDFury linker to circumvent the constant switching from gamma D to Custom, plus the added benefit of regaining the use of the auto iris while in HDR mode.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Even Manni says he only does the Color+Gamma calibration now.

I agree with atabea. I actually started with the ARVE curve first. I loaded some of Manni's curves after. I found his V2 & Dolby Emulation curve to be similar to what I had been using already.

I posted a couple guides to help get you started with the calibration and custom gamma (links in my sig). Custom gamma will be massively better than gamma D. I suggest at the very least load Manni's V2 curve right away to get started while you learn more about it.

Keep in mind, I chose -6 iris simply because it's what looked good to my eye. I have a light meter on the way but I'd still rather have an image that looks good to my eye. I've got a feeling the final result will be pretty close.

I also loaded and calibrated the Rec-709NF profile but I thought it to be extremely similar to Cinema. So much so I had to take photos and compare them to see a difference.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
Manni is able to skip the color-only step because he creates a custom color profile to compensate for errors made by the Spyder, when running the gamma/color calibration. If he couldn't/didn't do this step, I suspect he would have continued to run the color only cal, followed by tweaking with his discus.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Manni is able to skip the color-only step because he creates a custom color profile to compensate for errors made by the Spyder, when running the gamma/color calibration. If he couldn't/didn't do this step, I suspect he would have continued to run the color only cal, followed by tweaking with his discus.
What does color only do that color+gamma doesn't?

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
What does color only do that color+gamma doesn't?
When we run the color/gamma process, we run it with the reference color profile and NOT the BT2020 profile. So when we switch to the BT 2020 profile for 4K HDR, that profile is not calibrated. Running the color-only on the BT2020 is therefore necessary----hence the reason why Manny creates a BT2020 color profile and uploads it to the JVC-----in lieu of running the BT 2020 color only calibration. Creating a BT 2020 color profile is far superior to simply running a color only calibration with the Spyder Probe.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
When we run the color/gamma process, we run it with the reference color profile and NOT the BT2020 profile. So when we switch to the BT 2020 profile for 4K HDR, that profile is not calibrated. Running the color-only on the BT2020 is therefore necessary----hence the reason why Manny creates a BT2020 color profile and uploads it to the JVC-----in lieu of running the BT 2020 color only calibration. Creating a BT 2020 color profile is far superior to simply running a color only calibration with the Spyder Probe.
The only thing I see "incorrect" with repeatedly doing color+gamma is it repeating the gamma step which is likely unnecessary, but also unharmful.

I ran color+gamma for each mode I use, a total of 4 times (well 6 since I added Rec-709 in 2 lamp modes), based on Manni's quote below from the link I posed above, he does the same:
The only thing I do now is to run a 33 points gamma+color autocal for each user mode, at the lamp/filter/iris setting I use for that mode. I have three modes, HD (rec-709, no filter, iris -13), HDR Low Lamp and HDR High Lamp, both iris fully open, filter, BT2020.

I do not run any color only autocal, I simply re-run a gamma+color autocal if I need to change the iris setting in any mode

1941 - 1960 of 4389 Posts